Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Hi Everyone,

Well it worked thankfully. Had a cracking first show, it was great to catch up with Ian and Christian along with everyone else who stopped to talk. The whole weekend from 07.45 on the Friday to Sunday night, well I don't know were the time went to be honest!

The biggest problem was when we tried to split the layout on Friday morning, I had woodglued the protective edging onto the fiddleyard and the excess glue had stuck the legs to the layout - doh!

Apart from that the stock ran great, we were also loaned some stock for the weekend which we were very grateful for.

On Saturday there was just myself and Chris operating so we were getting a little tired near the close. However on Sunday we were joined by Keith and Richard who were a godsend and just got stuck in, Richard enjoyed it so much he went and bought a Dapol EWS 56 to run on it, Richard is currently building Knottigley in P4 which can be seen in the WFRM section of RMweb.

Big thanks to Chris for all his hard work and hours put in on the scenics and road vehicles.And also for being able to operate 3 trains at once smoothly when I struggle with 2!

Well here is the layout now...

post-6834-0-56286200-1475525192_thumb.jpg

Plan now is to have a good sort out in the garage and then set the layout back up. Lots of detail, fencing, signals to add along with progressing the stock.

Thanks again to everyone and the next show will be Stafford in 2018.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Thanks Al.

With being focused on layout operating etc, we totally forgot to take any pictures of the layout in operation, so if anyone has any pics from the show, please feel free to post if you wish.

Regards pictures,just been looking back through the thread and here is the Dallam yard end part of the layout 2 years ago (page 6) to the day almost, quite alot has changed!

post-6834-0-91638100-1475564631_thumb.jpg

At the show I managed to pick up some more stock for Dallam, a Construction sector 56 (this will be changed to a Transrail version or possibly 56134 in Coal Sector as Blyth Power - there is a picture of this at Arpley in 2001) and 10 more PFA's for the Cawoods rake along with some bits from N Brass and Shawplan.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 5

I only had time for a quick look at the layout on Saturday as I was almost constantly engaged in helping with Ellesmere. Every time I went past there only seemed to be one person operating so it seemed unfair to introduce myself and chat.

However as a local to Dallam it certainly caught the atmosphere of the real location for me. I can't comment on the stock as it's outside my area of knowledge.

I'd certainly like to see it again in a lot more detail when I can hopefully attend a show where its at as a visitor rather than exhibitor.

Well done on the debut.

Ian

I only had time for a quick look at the layout on Saturday as I was almost constantly engaged in helping with Ellesmere. Every time I went past there only seemed to be one person operating so it seemed unfair to introduce myself and chat.

However as a local to Dallam it certainly caught the atmosphere of the real location for me. I can't comment on the stock as it's outside my area of knowledge.

I'd certainly like to see it again in a lot more detail when I can hopefully attend a show where its at as a visitor rather than exhibitor.

Well done on the debut.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks, it may be at the Warrington show in the future 2018? - I have got the paperwork to fill in and send to the Exhibition manager. Yes there was just myself and Chris on Saturday so it was probably when one of us had gone on the tea/coffee run.

Thanks again.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Guys, thanks for all the best wishes. The layout is all set up in the main hall, we had it set up in 45 mins with a class 60 testing the layout. All stock has been tested around the layout and all was ok. So all set for tomorrow morning, so please say hello if you are there.

attachicon.gif2016-09-30 16.45.39.jpg

Got a few items of stock to check which got missed earlier in the week, going to do them now with a cold beer!

Cheers

Simon

Very nicely presented Simon, you have produced a quality layout. Hopefully one day I will get to see it in the flesh.

Now, more importantly, you can get cracking with finishing off that 7mm Grid! :locomotive:

Very nicely presented Simon, you have produced a quality layout. Hopefully one day I will get to see it in the flesh.

Now, more importantly, you can get cracking with finishing off that 7mm Grid! :locomotive:

Thanks Alex,

Yes regards the grid, hmmm yes could do with finishing it. Its currently sat on a piece of track looking all unloved at the moment. It does not require alot to get it ready for painting (famous last words). Maybe in the near future......... :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

So the Wigan show is now done and the next is not till Stafford 2018 which is roughly 16 months away. Over the past few evenings I have been thinking about extra stock for Dallam and also the stock I presently have and what work is required.

Some projects which still need completing and should be priority are:

2 x DRS Class 20's (Require Glazing and pipe detail at one end) - These were in use at Wigan

2 X DRS Class 20's require bodywork mods finishing before painting etc

1 x Class 87 Virgin, requires renumber & name, high speed pantograph and pipework detailing fitting

1 x Class 47 (New tooling) this will become 47709 in Fragonset colours with suitable weathering

1 x Class 175 Etched Pixles and Electra Graphics conversion - bodies rubbed down, lots to do.

1 x Class 156 Dapol, this is to be resprayed into Regional Railways Northwest livery (Green stripe)

2 x Class 92 kits - require building and suitable Farish class 60 chassis

10 xPFA's to build, 5 already done. Will spray once all 15 are complete.

One purchase I made at the weekend was this Dapol Class 56 in Construction livery. One thing I am going to correct hopefully is the front grill and how its been painted. I am also wondering if the MW equipment on the front should be changed as it looks too big in my opinion.

Here it is with the 5 completed (just require painting) PFA wagons.

post-6834-0-79685700-1475757029_thumb.jpg

There are also 4 x Class 66's which require renumbering. I have 2 EWS Class 60's with the same number 60052, so fancy respraying one as 60006 in Corus Silver as shown in Beasts thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77973-2001-a-space-odyssey-or-warrington-area-trains/&do=findComment&comment=1250423

Also got 2 of the Buffers special edition 60061 in Transrail, this may just receive a simple renumber/name or be changed to a Coal sector loco such as 60060 again shown in Dave's thread.

So I have quite a bit to do before buying anymore stock as that does not include a rake of OTA's for the Mossend - Arpley run, a Freightliner rake, Intermodal rake and all the local trip workings which still occured in 2001. Going to need a bigger fiddleyard I think!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just bear in mind that a bigger fiddleyard takes longer to stock up and de stock either side of a show. I would say that we get Banbury set up well within an hour but the stock in the 10 roads takes over an hour to get fully stocked and ready to run whihc does mean that we can do many shows driving there on a Saturday morning to set up starting at 08.00.

A bigger fiddleyard and we would have to drive and set up the night before. Not an issue, if you always plan to set up the night before though. We just try to avoid the M25 on a Friday night as much as we can.

Glad to see that it's not just myself who is modelling a modern image area in the north west of England

Thanks, yes will be watching Wigan Wallgate with interest. In the future I am thinking of maybe doing a layout based on Ashton-in-Makerfield in maybe EM or P4 based on the scrapyard workings which lasted up to 1986 I think. I would like to model Springs Branch or Ince Moss tip sidings but think that might be a bit of a challenge!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Ooh I like the sound of Springs Branch.

Have you thought about emu's

Only EMU's been thinking of so far are 325's which I would like atleast 3 sets but need to look at the N Train 3D printed kit if its available or scratchbuild with maybe Farish 150 bodyshells used as a base. Thinking about it the Farish 319 maybe a better starting point when they become available.

Cheers

Simon

Made a start on the PFAs which I purchased from C=Rail at Wigan. So got 10 basic rolling chassis built tonight including buffers and couplings (5 had been built already). Just the small detailing bits to add and 10 containers to build and all 15 wagons should be ready for the paint shop.

post-6834-0-34098600-1475875441_thumb.jpg

Going to get some more in the future but thought it would be best to get these 15 finished, painted and weathered first.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 14

Evening, managed to progress the PFA kits tonight. The remaining 10 containers have been built and a start has been made on fitting the detailing parts to the underframes.

The containers will get a light rubbing on any rough edges then a coat of Halfords white primer followed by Cawoods yellow.

post-6834-0-12392700-1476218984_thumb.jpg

Hope to be able to spray the primer either tomorrow or Thursday all being well.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Looks good mate. Looking forward to seeing them running on Dallam.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,once these are done I am going to look at ordering some OTA timber wagons from Slimrails, think need around 15-18. All this kit building will certainly keep me busy.

Cheers

Simon

Those are looking great Simon, kit building is great, much more sense of accomplishment than tipping wagons from a box. This reminds me that I need to finish my BBAs and the 15 RMC Roadstone hopper kits I have!

Those are looking great Simon, kit building is great, much more sense of accomplishment than tipping wagons from a box. This reminds me that I need to finish my BBAs and the 15 RMC Roadstone hopper kits I have!

Could not agree more Cav. Hmmm BBAs, Dallam and 86/4's & 87's no no. The NGS kits look very nice although not built any yet, the Salmon is another kit or kits on the to do list.

Cheers

Simon

Containers have now been sprayed first with Halfords white and then the Cawoods yellow. Certainly look bright.

post-6834-0-01623800-1476385157_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-82569300-1476385177_thumb.jpg

Once the transfers are on they will get a coat of varnish followed by a very fine dusting of matt black to represent the coal dust as a base for further weathering.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10