Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

There was some discussion earlier of parcels traffic to Huskinson Goods. Whilst I've not found any evidence yet for this, there was parcels (or to be more specific, Post Office) traffic to other docks and depots around Liverpool. This would be surface mail for the remnants of Empire. On p48 of 'British Railway non-Passenger Coaching Stock' in Geoff Gamble's excellent series of albums, there is a photo of a BR full-brake by David Larkin. The van bears chalk markings saying it conveys mails for Sierra Leone to be loaded on 'SS Maas', Alex Dock. The photo was taken in Summer 1971.

• Like 1

Wow, this is coming on, and is far bigger than I imagined.

Can I push you into extending the scope and incorporating Bank Hall depot on the other side...I LOVED that shed?

Thank you, the layout is 25x10. Another rmweb member is building Bank hall which will be a lot bigger than this.

There was some discussion earlier of parcels traffic to Huskinson Goods. Whilst I've not found any evidence yet for this, there was parcels (or to be more specific, Post Office) traffic to other docks and depots around Liverpool. This would be surface mail for the remnants of Empire. On p48 of 'British Railway non-Passenger Coaching Stock' in Geoff Gamble's excellent series of albums, there is a photo of a BR full-brake by David Larkin. The van bears chalk markings saying it conveys mails for Sierra Leone to be loaded on 'SS Maas', Alex Dock. The photo was taken in Summer 1971.

Thats interesting Brian thank you.

Mike

Hi Mike, the railway is certainly coming on, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Sizewise it's about the same as my project 'Wharfeside' but yours is much more complex.

Hope you liked the LNER bufferstops, the next one out may interest you too - LNER straight leg type which was also adopted by BR.

Anyway, keep at it and I'll maybe see you at Scalefour North or EXPO North.

All the best,

Dave Franks

• Like 3

Hi Mike, will Bank Hall be exhibited or is it a private layout?

Steve

Its a private layout Steve.

Hi Mike, the railway is certainly coming on, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Sizewise it's about the same as my project 'Wharfeside' but yours is much more complex.

Hope you liked the LNER bufferstops, the next one out may interest you too - LNER straight leg type which was also adopted by BR.

Anyway, keep at it and I'll maybe see you at Scalefour North or EXPO North.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Thanks Dave, bufferstops are excellent

Mike

Last bit of work for this year, the curves in the tunnel are laid and everything seems to run smooth round them, no bufferlocking even on long bogie wagons like Salmon and Sturgeon types.

post-27-0-36726800-1451596703_thumb.jpg

Also laid the lines on the other fiddle yard board at the other end today

post-27-0-69042800-1451596760_thumb.jpg

Happy new year everyone

• Like 11

Last bit of work for this year, the curves in the tunnel are laid and everything seems to run smooth round them, no bufferlocking even on long bogie wagons like Salmon and Sturgeon types.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Also laid the lines on the other fiddle yard board at the other end today

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Happy new year everyone

Michael.

Looking really good.

Similar track to Clatterford, proper in viewing, copperclad in fiddle.

Andy

Edited by andytrains

Thank you, the layout is 25x10. Another rmweb member is building Bank hall which will be a lot bigger than this.

Sorry to digress, but is there a build on here?

Other things to start soon are point motors which will be servos, first time ive used them as point motors.

Ive also got to make a decision on tie bars. My thinking at the moment is realistic twin tie bars with the servo to one side of the point under the board, connected via wire in tube, rather than directly under the tie bar as a tortoise motor would be for example.

The other problem is testing, testing points with frog juicers and locos on DCC rather than DC I can see being tricky.

Edited by Michael Delamar

All tiebars on the scenic boards have been replaced with copperclad.

I would have liked more realistic stretcher bars but the worry was reliabilty and this is a system we have used for years. Once the cosmetic chairs are fitted I think they will be fine. I could always fit cosmetic stretcher bars if I really want to.

All that was required was to unsolder and remove the ply sleeper, drill a hole for the piano wire and then replace with copperclad, itself will then have a small hole drilled in it.

Next job is to fit servos and wiring.

Under board motors will be SG90 servos, megapoints servo controllers with hex frog juicers controlling the frogs. A start to fit these will be made next week.

I plan to buy a roco DCC system with 4 handsets. I will be asking advice on these with wiring,boosters and particularly cuts around frogs, wire gauge and bus bars on an continuous layouts.

post-27-0-81546300-1452477964_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-47803900-1452477985_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-76328700-1452478002_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted on ebay a photograph of a J10 in a siding alongside Walton shed . If you search on the site 'J10 LNER locomotive' it should bring it up . Not sure it's of any use to your research but thought I would mention it to you.

Excellent layout coming together now

Just as a matter of interest were you involved in a layout years ago called ' Walton & Anfield'  which I remember on the exhibition circuit at the time  

Thanks, ive had a check and it is one I have seen, quite a lot of shots of the withdrawn J10's lined up alongside the shed turn up. That must have been what most photographers who visited were interest at the time.

The Walton and Anfield layout was before my time, but I do remember the railway modeller article, I have it somewhere. I think it was 1985? I was 2 year old at the time.

Mike

Not much to report, nothing worth a photo. Mainly wiring and other small jobs. Ive collected the 3 arm shunt signal from Steve and what a cracker it is.

Steve is now building 2 working ground signals for me.

One single disc ground shunting signal is puzzling me slightly, the exit to the shed.

Im convinced I can see it on the aerial shot. However its between 2 lines in the V of a point leaving the shed yard. Extreme bottom right of this photo. The shed and yard is over to the right out of shot.

Would this be applicable to both routes leaving the shed?

Or im thinking that the left hand road leaving the shed was the exit and this is the road the shunt signal applied to.

Engines entering the shed yard having to stop before the point, pull it if it has been run through by a loco leaving and enter the yard to their left towards the ash and coaling plant.

there was a telephone nearby, so you would phone the box to let you out the yard.

I would say you could leave on the other road but there would be a risk of the signalman letting a loco into the yard on top of you. What im not sure of is if the point was controlled by the box or lever on the ground.

post-27-0-45120300-1455473231_thumb.jpg

Here is the plan with the point in question far right of this drawing.

post-27-0-11548300-1455473300.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael

Looking at the signal box diagram in post 242 the exit signal is between that point and the double slip. I don't think the object before the point is a ground signal, to have one before a hand operated point would be rare. The signalman would not know what position the point was in so could be dangerous for him to pull the signal.