Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

This is my Father in Law's photo (taken on a box brownie apparently!) of 32469 on Horsham shed probably 1959:

post-6910-0-50440100-1428100178_thumb.jpg

I am beginning to think that the funnel is slightly different to that on Bachmann's 32500 (possibly hence the change of number just before production commenced perhaps?) but near identical to 32470?

I seem to have walked into a renumbering minefield of little detail variations....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 5

Was going to include my own short review.. although a little late as it was going to be on my post on the other page... 
Word of warning if anyone is going to put crew in the cab, be careful when removing the cab...luckily nothing fell off but but it's not an easy job to put it back on.
(Ignore the bigger than normal Bulleid on the end of the clip, may post that up one day)

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 3

Was going to include my own short review.. although a little late as it was going to be on my post on the other page... 

Word of warning if anyone is going to put crew in the cab, be careful when removing the cab...luckily nothing fell off but but it's not an easy job to put it back on.

(Ignore the bigger than normal Bulleid on the end of the clip, may post that up one day)

Nice video Matt. Out of interest, what is the middle carriage of your Maunsell set?

Nice video Matt. Out of interest, what is the middle carriage of your Maunsell set?

It's an Ian Kirk Maunsell Dining Saloon / Kitchen Buffet was built on a spare Hornby Maunsell coach chassis / body, cut the sides out, modify the roof, and put the new sides in, pretty straight forward, did write about it for BRM no idea when that is due. Hope that answers your question Chris :)

• Like 2

I bought a Southern E4 at the Swanage Station shop on Thursday. The shop had about 9 E4s: three of each type released to date and they sold out today.

Although they never appeared on the Swanage Railway I have fond memories of being hauled by Birch Grove in the early days of the Bluebell Railway. Strictly speaking it cannot represent a future visit of the preserved locomotive on the Swanage Railway as there seem to be detail differences which make it a model of the locomotive as it was in the 1920s.

Before the gremlins set in on my Corfe Viaduct layout at the Stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage that caused all the Chinese built model steam engines to derail the E4 ran very well. It stayed on the track when I ran it for over 30 minutes both ways and easily coped with four Hornby Maunsell coaches and a pull-push set. My layout has second radius points and third radius curves and there are four baseboard joints that are slightly out of alignment as the floor has warped badly. Perhaps it is asking too much to expect a modern locomotive to perform faultlessly in those conditions.

post-17621-0-55875400-1428163810_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Some screen shots of the BR Lined Late version from my recent review. Hope these are of help.

Have to say, you once again did another good review mate. Definitely tempting to get on myself for my layout. Love how it comes with the head code disks for the different routes it worked on.

• RMweb Premium

I am struggling to find a picture of any E4 in plain black with early crest as produced by Bachmann.  All the pictures I have found have been lined black with either late or early crests plus a few which are lined but so filthy that the lining is almost invisible that it could be mistaken for plain black.

Were there really any plain black E4's as depicted?

Personally I favour buying a late crest lined one and backdating the crest. 

I think there must have been for Bachmann to have done the model. They are pretty good at rooting out appropriate photos to support livery options.

Indeed, they are very good at finding elusive shots such as the photo on page 41 of the Winter BCC magazine that shows a Conflat A with TOPS code FAV which until seeing that picture I had always been led to believe by others that no Conflat A survived long enough to carry this code painted on them.

I am struggling to find a picture of any E4 in plain black with early crest as produced by Bachmann. All the pictures I have found have been lined black with either late or early crests plus a few which are lined but so filthy that the lining is almost invisible that it could be mistaken for plain black.

32517 on the Southern E-group web site looks to be unlined.

My BR lined black 32500 arrived today, just as I was going out! Once I got home, I opened the box and placed it on the rolling road on DC power and ran it for a good 45 minutes in each direction. Running was as smooth as silk and it exhibited absolutely no wobbles at all; it was so steady that the only indication that it was running was the motor noise and the wheels turning (from above, where one could not see the wheels turning, it looked just like a static model).

After running in, I took out the three screws indicated on the diagram and the body came off very easily. I fitted a CT Electronik DCX75 6-pin decoder, a brand and type I have never used previously, and  tried to set the address on the programming track ... no dice! I had inserted the decoder upside down! Once I had corrected that, it read properly and I was able to set the address, plus my usual inertia / momentum settings (CV3 = 20, CV4 = 15, usually adjusted slightly after testing, until I am happy with the behaviour).

I also found that I had to tweak CV2 (starting voltage) to a value of 6, altered from the default of 3. I expect things to just start moving on speed step 1. This may be revised downwards later as the mechanism frees up a little more.

Finally, I tweaked the pickups on the backs of the driving wheels as a couple of them weren't touching when the axles were on full deflection.

I tested the locomotive both backwards and forwards through a crossover and there were no problems with the trailing wheels derailing or causing any of the problems a couple of other people have reported here. 

I haven't tried it with a load, yet. I'll do that in the next few days and take a few photos. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with it and think Bachmann have produced a real winner here.

Now I'm just awaiting the arrival of the LBSCR version. :)

• Like 1

I am struggling to find a picture of any E4 in plain black with early crest as produced by Bachmann.  All the pictures I have found have been lined black with either late or early crests plus a few which are lined but so filthy that the lining is almost invisible that it could be mistaken for plain black.

A quick look at the Colour Rail website shows 32468/79/87/92/93/94/97/98/500/506/08/10/15/18/57/66/77 with early crest and lined. 32497 is shown in plain black, but lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS. The pics are copyright, so can't put on here, but you can browse the thumbnails before buying the ones you want.

The BR Lined version of the E4 arrived today - It is quite the wee marvel!

Having converted to 7mm it meant hastily laying out some new narrower track to accommodate it...

(also the 2 HAL which has not had a serious outing since it arrived last year)....

It ran perfectly right out of the box. It is a superb model in every aspect.

The next thing, in the absence of the birdcage stock, will be to mate it up with Hornby's maunsell push-pull set pro-tem...

Also...

Its so good that the Southern version has now become a serious contender...

(Who needs an APT anyway?)

The problem now is how to design the 7mm layout in such a way as it can incorporate the 00?

Perhaps an elevated track as a part of the back-scene might do the trick?

Whatever happens its going to be a fascinating and creative year....

Seriously - if anyone is holding back on getting an E4 it is something you might well regret if left too late..

It's Bachmann's design team at the top of their game... :locomotive:

• Like 3

Postie just knocked, brown Bachmann carton with '35-076, Qty 4' handed to me postmarked Sheffield Park.

Will my model be worth more to collectors if I keep it in an original shipping carton?

Days spent working from home can be tough, especially with a loco sitting unopened....! must not procrastinate....

Edited by G-BOAF

Have been playing with my new toy intermittently since Monday (when it arrived).  At first, it was derailing intermittently when going from toe to heel backwards along the curved path of one of the points.  It seems to be a bit better now, although I have made a note of 34theletterbetweenBandD's suggestions for curing it.

I have to put my hand up to not being a perfect track-layer. :blush:

Edit: Added "backwards" in second sentence.

Edited by Richard Lee

• RMweb Premium

Mine is now renumbered (pic to follow tomorrow all being well) and I must say I do like those head code disks supplied as an add on part.  Bachmann would do quite a bit of trade from me if they were to sell those separately.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now off my workbench and in service (all be it currently minus any crew on the footplate as I have temporarily run out!!) renumbered and with some proper coal in the bunker.  Those head code disks are wonderful!

post-6910-0-15272600-1428856052_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-40295700-1428856061_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Now off my workbench and in service (all be it currently minus any crew on the footplate as I have temporarily run out!!) renumbered and with some proper coal in the bunker.  Those head code disks are wonderful!

attachicon.gifE4-1.jpg

attachicon.gifE4-2.jpg

Lovely. Presumably the green Mk1s are the latest Hornby versions with lighting. Did the factory applied coach set number come off easily and whose transfers did you use?

• RMweb Premium

They came off reasonably easily although I have yet to remove the crests that really shouldn't be there.

The replacement numbers for both coach and set numbers are Replica Railway rub down ones.

I intend to modify the lighting strip in the BSK's at some point to get that end compartment illuminated!

32477 was plain black with early crest, see    http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p759558576/h15affe67#h15affe67there is also a pic of one fully lined with NO crest/emblem at all http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p759558576/h5297b31#h5297b31

Cheers Tony

Edited to hopefully make the links work

Edited by Rail-Online

• RMweb Gold

32477 was plain black with early crest, see    http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p759558576/h15affe67#h15affe67there is also a pic of one fully lined with NO crest/emblem at all http://www.zenfolio.com/railonline/e/p759558576

Cheers Tony

32477 is actually an E4X class locomotive - an E4 rebuilt with a larger boiler.  However there's a picture of 32517 on this page in plain black with early crest.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e4class_01.html

The link to zenfolio requires a username and password.