Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Picked up my lined l/c BR version from John Dutfields shop (Chelmsford) today.

All boxes ticked - it looks great and runs beautifully. Well worth the wait!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of course Ebay will be awash with them, many dealers use Ebay rather than setting up their own web site.

And some add the percentage cost on top of full r.r.p. On the other side of the coin,at least one offers....on new Hornby at least ....a substantial discount and free postage. You pays your money.....etc, etc.

• RMweb Gold

I wasnt going to get one as its a bit too early for the period that I model when doing Southern region but when I saw them at Ally Pally I couldnt resist.

It had a good run in on 'Star Lane' hauling the coal train. Its been fitted with crew and the detail bits plus a 6 pin decoder.

very nice model.

Now just need to weather it.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

How is the rear axle mounted?

Its a Bachmann abortion, got my model today, exceptional, but for the rear axle, its the same fitting as the previous GW tank, a loose axle floating around in a square hole in the chassis, it goes where it wants when it wants and has derailed many times when running backwards. All that money that they have rung out of us and the thing does not run properly. exceptionally disappointed with this design clever `feature`. :( Edited by Jim104

I totally agree with this observation, I have two of the 56XX tanks with this trailing axle arrangement and when running bunker first derail at every opportunity on point work, I to have had to insert shims to give the locos the ability to stay on the track. Bachmann please, please, please, do not spoil this wonderful new model with such a poor trailing axle arrangement. Lets have a lightly sprung pony truck instead. Its all very well having a first class looking locomotive, but it needs to run without derailing and not just be a loco shed display item.

A couple of us raised our concerns about the axle back in early 2014 but no one listens at Bachmann, I suspect that they never ever run the locos on a proper working layout that does not have billiard ball level track, if they did they would not turn out locos with problems like this. Ho hum, rant over.

Its a Bachmann abortion, got my model today, exceptional, but for the rear axle, its the same fitting as the previous GW tank, a loose axle floating around in a square hole in the chassis, it goes where it wants when it wants and has derailed many times when running backwards. All that money that they have rung out of us and the thing does not run properly. exceptionally disappointed with this design clever `feature`. :(

I picked up my example of 32500 on Monday. Very pleased with it. So much fine detail and lovely lining although as previously noted this level of detail does draw the eye to the mould line on top of the boiler just behind the chimney. I've seen worse on more pricey models though. 

I have been running mine through a back to back set of tight radius setrack (Hornby) points (i.e. a fairly rapid direction change) in forwards and backwards directions and haven't had any problems with the rear axle derailing. It is lightly spring loaded and although it features a lot of lateral float, the plastic (I think it is plastic) square 'axle box' actually rotates around a relatively large radius so controls the 'direction' of the float to some extent. It is a very similar, if not identical, arrangement to the L&YR 2-4-2 tank front and rear axles, which I have never had any problems with I must admit.

The weight of this model surprised me - quite heavy for its diminutive size. I am yet to do a proper haulage check... I'm sure SDJR7F88 will beat me to this anyway!

The weight of this model surprised me - quite heavy for its diminutive size. I am yet to do a proper haulage check... I'm sure SDJR7F88 will beat me to this anyway!

I'll leave that test for you.  :jester: As it's just a quite light engine back and forth in mine  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

I had mine running backwards on Star Lane at the weekend for a while running through the fidleyard turnouts and baseboard joints which arent the best. As far as I am aware it didnt derail once (no noe said anything if it did).

A fair amount of the body is actually cast. I found this out when removing the body to install a decoder.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

Has anyone had an E4 from Rails of Sheffield ? I've got a couple on order with them, but have heard nothing, and their website still says 'forthcoming release'. Not sure if I've missed out (again) or if they've not yet received their allocation.

Has anyone had an E4 from Rails of Sheffield ? I've got a couple on order with them, but have heard nothing, and their website still says 'forthcoming release'. Not sure if I've missed out (again) or if they've not yet received their allocation.

I bought one today, they had just come in and it seemed like they were sorting through the pre-orders as there were a few out on the counter, yet he went behind the scenes to fetch one for me.