Mallard Partwork

I'm a bit confused about assembling the cab doors, part 20 page 80.

At the top it shows the stops below the hinges, but on the completed part shows them above the hinges.

Also it looks like the stop work the wrong way, stopping the door opening inwards fully, rather than stopping it opening outwards.

• RMweb Gold

This is mine.

I looks a bit agricultural but the mechanism does stop the doors opening past the cab sides and it doesn't look so bad when you're not taking close up pictures of it.

P1090376.JPG

• RMweb Gold

30801, Your drop plate linking the cab to the tender floor is mounted too low.  See pic of my cab on Page 14.

That's pretty much where it goes. It's not a very flattering angle. There are some pictures on DJH's site that show it better,

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/product-photos/big/79.jpg

The way it's attached means the plate is going to be the thickness of the brass below the cab floor.

It looks OK in real life :)

Afternoon all.... a small update on my build...backhead is about 50% complete.. jobs to do still... regulator handles and bar, gauges, hand-wheels, and lots of small pipework... I may also change the steam valve pipes for a smaller gauge...looked fine until putting the backhead into the cab.....look a bit large now... I'll see how things progress.  EDIT: forgot to add I also need to fit the water gauge glass too.. it's cut ready with the  B&W diagonal pattern already done... can't do it until the regulator bar has been fitted.

20150313_163507_zps2xc13x4h.jpg

Edited by greenglade
  • Like 4

Hello all,

are these two photos any use, both are copyright so please don't use them Etc. I'm only putting them up to help.

post-8920-0-43966200-1426339546_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-19939400-1426339566_thumb.jpg

Please note that all of that bulled up copper pipe work is not normal.

OzzyO.

nice pictures Ozzy...interesting to note the lack of piping in the earlier picture when compared to today...btw does anybody know what the bar with the handle on it's end that runs just above the tray is for?

Pete

Whistle?

I don't think so as I can't see any steam pipes connected to it...I was thinking that perhaps it operated the firebox deflector plate that normally sits inside the firebox just above the fire door but 1: I can't see any mechanism that goes through the backhead to operate it and 2: I'm not even sure if such a thing was fitted to the Gresley pacifics due the the adjustable plate fitted to the fire door itself??

Pete

A bit more progress....valve handles,water gauge glass and regulator handles fitted( which are adjustable) ..the remaining pressure gauges will have to wait until further into the build, I also need to print off some faces for them for which I'll use photo's of Mallards gauges as they are today... lots of cleaning up still to do... it's amazing how messy it looks when blown up yet in real life looks fine...I'll see if I can get the paint to look better later, it's a bit too shinny for me. Oh and the foof is only resting on top, it won't be fixed on for quite a while yet...

20150318_164600_zpscxprlfke.jpg