SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

My poor little blue thing......oh nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyway, does anyone know what colour those little message boards were on the side of the CCTs Van Bs? Black or grey?

Phil

Blackboard black sir.  (logical when you think about it as they were meant to have things chalked on them)  

Regrettably i have to report that I am unable to offer you any as when clearing out the shed after my dad died nearly 12 years ago I chucked out his only tin of blackboard black as I think it had gone solid - it was after all over 40 years old.  The white lead also went as it was equally solid and i didn't fancy remixing it with turpentine to soften it - otherwise it could have gone to those folk who like an authentic finish for the GWR carriage roofs.

My poor little blue thing......oh nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyway, does anyone know what colour those little message boards were on the side of the CCTs Van Bs? Black or grey?

Phil

Black, but only until the first time they were chalked on the first time; after that they were dark grey. Vans tended to have chalked destinations scattered, apparently at random. Sometimes the personnel loading the trains wiped a patch of dirt off to write the destination, but sometimes they just chalked on top of it. Occasionally, they used a piece of rag on a fingertip to clear off the dirt in the form of the letters.  

• RMweb Premium

My sausages will be dark grey and weathered and some will have some little comments from the CCT collection for such Vans.

Thanks chaps.

P

I prefer my sausages crisp and brown on the outside and juicy pink on the inside.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My sausages will be dark grey and weathered and some will have some little comments from the CCT collection for such Vans.

Thanks chaps.

P

I'm sure the good Captain will be along shortly to tell you about the finer points of sausages or even Haverfordwest for that matter, not alot of people know that.  :laugh:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

it would be rude not to

I started laughing as soon as I hit play - even though I knew what was coming next!

Ref Sausages - if we vote Brexit, does that mean they no longer have to be uniform in size colour and general lack of individualism?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sausages I get to play with tend to be interestingly different I'll have you know. The local Butcher kindly produces Gluten free ones to order!

There used to be a great Butcher in Horsham that did 'fancy' sausages and I think the little Buffet at Horsted Keynes up platform does a lovely sausage and mash meal, but you need to be there early to get it as there are only about 10 servings IIRC. Sheffield Park's Restaurant also do fine meals and quite nice beer if you like that sort of thing. I quite miss going there.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Black, but only until the first time they were chalked on the first time; after that they were dark grey. Vans tended to have chalked destinations scattered, apparently at random. Sometimes the personnel loading the trains wiped a patch of dirt off to write the destination, but sometimes they just chalked on top of it. Occasionally, they used a piece of rag on a fingertip to clear off the dirt in the form of the letters.

Black when first painted , gradually turning cr@p colour the same as the rest of the body. Photos show the whole sides, not just the boards, we're used for chalk markings.

• RMweb Premium

Sausages I get to play with tend to be interestingly different I'll have you know. The local Butcher kindly produces Gluten free ones to order!

There used to be a great Butcher in Horsham that did 'fancy' sausages and I think the little Buffet at Horsted Keynes up platform does a lovely sausage and mash meal, but you need to be there early to get it as there are only about 10 servings IIRC. Sheffield Park's Restaurant also do fine meals and quite nice beer if you like that sort of thing. I quite miss going there.

P

The Trusted Servant pub in Minstead, Hants used to sell fantastic venison sausages. Possibly still does.

• RMweb Premium

P

Harvey's.

You can get some pretty good sausages over here, but pies are a different story unfortunately...

• RMweb Premium

P

Pages (on the Carfax) pork sausages used to be very good while I lived in Horsham.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

Harvey's.

You can get some pretty good sausages over here, but pies are a different story unfortunately...

You will be able to import perfectly wonderful pies from England in just over two years. Just check for a Bas*ard File concealed within.

Ar$e

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They'll be cheap enough for you to import a whole container full by the end of today (and a lorry to transport and keep them frozen in).

• Like 2