SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this (burning a lotta midnight oil at the moment - don't ask!)

If I had been on time I was going to ask:

"Is she 'in advance' or 'in - ahem - rear' of an oncoming train'?

(signalling wallahs get excited about such terms)

I've already fetched my coat

A Sleep

We know what yer doin' and it's all about the weekend. Good luck dear heart.

P

• RMweb Premium

Actually, she’s at Lelant, which is a request stop. She’s going for a paddle at St.Ives, and changed in the car park.

I once tried getting a train to stop at Lelant. It was hauled by a 14XX I think it was and it just sailed past as if I wasn't there. I think I'm still invisible but without the advantages that state can provide. No I didn't!

Phan Tassy

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Filip

Having just risked my life trying to find if I have anything on the propane situation I could only come up with a photo of one of the Bournemouth restaurant kitchen cars with boxes not tanks, and that is in Mr kings big book on SR coaches. His and Mr Stevens-Stratton's drawings of the rebuilt pub coaches show the dirk great big gas tank. Edit, Mr K and Mr S-S do not mention the propane rebuild. (well I couldn't find it).

My loco drawing folders fell off the bookcase hitting me on the head when I was looking for the folder with the coach drawings in it, and after nearly dying for our art there were no SR catering drawings except one of the Mansell cooking carriage they have on the Bluebell.

My hero. Was the Folder damaged?

P. Laster 

• RMweb Premium

OK. I have a pic of an unmodifeid (pre 1959) Tavern and it has boxes and not the tank. Propane must have been introduced when they did the kitchen and fittings upgrade? I've now completed the UF including the lower step on the solebar beneath the central doors on both sides. I've not seen those on any kit builds I've seen (awaits hundreds of photo's from those that have done that  :tomato: )

A. Stepper 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could still keep the old inn sign on the side? “At the sign of the Flying Duck” (stay away from alliteration, though)

Ps. Theres a miniscule reference to propane conversion in the Oakwood book.

Any chance you could tell me where; pretty please? I find that book really interesting but very frustrating trying to find info.

P

The folders were all safe. Mrs M says I must clean up the blood when I stop bleeding. :blackeye: :blackeye:

If you still had that haircut you would have been saved.

Wiggy Headgear

I once tried getting a train to stop at Lelant. It was hauled by a 14XX I think it was and it just sailed past as if I wasn't there. I think I'm still invisible but without the advantages that state can provide.

Phan Tassy

I wonder if you mean Golant, on the Fowey branch?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you mean Golant, on the Fowey branch?

Chris

Actually it was Sandplace Halt on the Looe Branch.....just remembered. Doh; sorry all. It's my age. I'd been picking spuds in Duloe but can't remember why I was at Sandplace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dicky Cells

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

OK. I have a pic of an unmodifeid (pre 1959) Tavern and it has boxes and not the tank. Propane must have been introduced when they did the kitchen and fittings upgrade? I've now completed the UF including the lower step on the solebar beneath the central doors on both sides. I've not seen those on any kit builds I've seen (awaits hundreds of photo's from those that have done that  :tomato: )

A. Stepper 

Hi Phil

It does make me wonder why Mr K and Mr S-S both drew the rebuilt ale house carriages with the gert huge gas tank? Where they aware of the change? Mr S-S points out the lower step in da middle on his drawings.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

It does make me wonder why Mr K and Mr S-S both drew the rebuilt ale house carriages with the gert huge gas tank? Where they aware of the change? Mr S-S points out the lower step in da middle on his drawings.

Good question as the Coach Bodyside mods were done in 1959/60. Comet's Modified version, which is otherwise a very nice kit, has not got the *alternative fittings for, or any notes on the kit drawings/instructions about, the Propane conversions. The original etches were taken from the existing drawings you mention and the Comet lads back then were not really Southern knowledgeable as their interests were with other Regions. 

I might let Andrew Hartshorne know as; 1. It will save him some brass tube and a couple of WM castings; 2. It will help him have a more 'correct' version of this coach; I suspect he could include *BR style Boxes in the Kit?

Shall I?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I forgot. Would anyone like to look at my underparts? May have to wait until after the watershed and maybe let people get their sedatives first?

Yerall Awful

Dear Mr Duck,

Kind of you to offer of a peek at your dung hampers, but if it's all the same to you could you please refrain from said posting, as I am of a somewhat nervous disposition.

V. S. Hocking.

• RMweb Premium

Any chance you could tell me where; pretty please? I find that book really interesting but very frustrating trying to find info.

P

I’m using an earlier edition than me mate from Baff, but it’s probably the same in them all.post-26540-0-97127400-1511292138_thumb.jpeg

It’s in the section “Tavern cars and restaurant cars, 1949” so far down there’s a paragraph describing the inside, starting “inside each tavern car...” it ends with a description what’s carried on the underframe, including oil gas containers, and ends “In later years, all cars were fitted for propane gas.” No Dates.

I thought I’d try another route, so looked at gas tanks in Kidners “service stock of the SR”. There it says “the last gas lit carriages ran in 1939, but the wagons continued in use in some cases up to early 1960s, for gas used in workshops and depots, although some were converted to water carriers. There must also have been a need for gas wherever restaurant cars were stored, until they were converted to Calor.” Again no date. I would imagine oilgas production by railway workshops was becoming uneconomic in the early fifties, and Calor/ propane gas was a much cheaper alternative, with local distribution available, so the changeover would have happened before the refurbishment of the tavern cars in 1959, tying in with the photos.

Edit. Ps. I was looking at what was going on over the fence, did you know the LNER had anthracite coal ranges in their cars? LMS had gas mainly, tho they had all electric off a diesel gemerator on a couple. Anyhow, by the fifties the new BR cars were appearing, can’t find anything on these, but they must have started off with propane, surely?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually it was Sandplace Halt on the Looe Branch.....just remembered. Doh; sorry all. It's my age. I'd been picking spuds in Duloe but can't remember why I was at Sandplace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dicky Cells

I'm with Chris. A 14xx on the Looe branch would have been very unusual.

• RMweb Premium

I'm with Chris. A 14xx on the Looe branch would have been very unusual.

Probably wasn't a 14XX either then. Probably a Bog Cart and I just dreamed about the steam loco. Half Term or early Summer hols 1963 I think it was.

Who cares anyway?

P

• Like 2

Went to Looe with a group of mates in 1963 after taking our 'O' levels. As far as I can remember a Peak from Gloucester to Liskard and the a bubble car down to Looe. We'd travelled overnight, so the bubble car was the first train of the day down to Looe. We got there about 6.00am. Slept on the beach if I remember correctly before getting the bus up to the caravan.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 2