SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Sherry and I did indeed stand on Babbacombe Cliffs and watched the sun rise @ 5.01 this morning. It was a bit chilly.

Perhaps it would have been warmer with your clothes on?

• RMweb Premium

Sit down now as this is serious. Last evening I wresteld with two previously wired up, Cobalt Classics and fitted them under the board things, poked the bit of rod up the point tie bar hole, ensured correct positioning, pressed home (stuck) and then attached temporary switches.

Power applied. One worked, (yea) the other didn't, (boo). The one that didn't work was my fault as I had inserted one of the two wires required for DCC, into an incorrect aperture; that took me 10 minutes to discover!

All this malarky involved crawling around under the layout, however I had prepared the environment for this and, despite some difficulty akin to being a contortionist in a freak show, I actually found it quite theraputic. These modern design motors that have the clip style wire holes and can be stuck in position, are just wonderful. 

Now, the best bit is that on the naughty point, I had wired up for the frog switch to operate............................and it did.

Once the motors had been screwed ( :nono: ) up for security (really strong double sided sticky pad is used on first attachment and left in place if all is OK), the operating rods on the surface were cut back with a mini-disc/drill. All very simple and common work, but a big step for a Duck, especially one with a gammy leg. 

After that I began work on the 'east end' fiddle yard entry/exit solenoid ops system. More of that today.

P

Excellent news Phil. Yes, I find that the spring-loaded connectors and the foam pads are excellent. Regarding the screws, don't tighten them right up or you'll squeeze the foam pad and the motor will move out of alignment. Guess how I know this.

Does it have a garden railway or railway room? If not then it is an empty shell, cold, without soul and not worth a dot.

A. Englishheritage.

It doesn't have either of those Ducky, however if you or anyone else have a few hours to spare it is most certainly worth a visit.

It was the last English "castle" to be built for the owner of Home & Colonial Stores, Julius Drewe, and designed by one of my most favourite architects, Sir Edwin Lutyens.

There are spectacular views and walks to be had and being a stones throw from my house I feel very privileged to be close to such a building. The village of Drewsteignton has a lovely pub, The Drewe Arms which was managed by a lady called Mabel Madge who decided to retire at the age of just 99 !!!  After a mountain biking session around the area it was always worth a visit to refresh myself with some excellent beer or cider.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't have either of those Ducky, however if you or anyone else have a few hours to spare it is most certainly worth a visit.

It was the last English "castle" to be built for the owner of Home & Colonial Stores, Julius Drewe, and designed by one of my most favourite architects, Sir Edwin Lutyens.

There are spectacular views and walks to be had and being a stones throw from my house I feel very privileged to be close to such a building. The village of Drewsteignton has a lovely pub, The Drewe Arms which was managed by a lady called Mabel Madge who decided to retire at the age of just 99 !!!  After a mountain biking session around the area it was always worth a visit to refresh myself with some excellent beer or cider.

G

So far nobody's mentioned the Captain's probably-intentional spelling mistake. For those of us in these parts it's quite funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drongo#Insult

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it would have been warmer with your clothes on?

If only we'd thought of that!

I so agree. Deb and I visited something over 30 years ago - Drogo having been recommended by one of my ticket collectors at Dartford! Sherry and I visited about a decade ago, in our illicit couple days. I produced my member's card, and Sherry produced hers. The people on the gate were a bit nonplussed after suggesting she was my wife - I said I'd only borrowed her for the weekend! And Lutyens is top man for me, too. We were so pleased in 2015 to hold our wedding reception in a Lutyens pub - The Drum at Cockington. As for the Drewe Arms, ISTR Mabel sat in the corner of the pub, and we punters would pay her and then go into the tap room to draw our own beer!

So far nobody's mentioned the Captain's probably-intentional spelling mistake. For those of us in these parts it's quite funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drongo#Insult

I first heard the word from a horsey acquaintance of Deb's, referring to the dobbins of limited talent at a local show. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sherry and I did indeed stand on Babbacombe Cliffs and watched the sun rise @ 5.01 this morning. It was a bit chilly.

In full Druid undress?....If so thank goodness is was that early when all decent people are a sleep.

• RMweb Premium

I did not flap out at dawn but I did witness the actual not really getting totally dark night last night and probably will look  again this evening. Almost in the bliddy North Pole here you know.

A.D. Munsen

• RMweb Premium

This morning I activated a special gismo and linked up 5 new surface mounted solenoid point motors but only used 4 swithches; oh er misses! This afters I may well link up just one more just for fun.

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I did not get up this morning until well after sun rise and then went to Tesco after breakfast and also having established that the mistake that I thought I had made last night in the shed wasn't a mistake at all and all the work that I thought I would have to re-do, won't have to be re-done. This afternoon I have cut the grass and have no further thoughts of returning to Drongo for the forseeable future.

While we were there, by the way, there was mention of a 'viewing tower'. Being aware of the potential for spectacular views in that area, I was rather looking forward to ascending the 'viewing tower' and doing some viewing whilst up there.

To my mild disappointment, this was not some granite edifice attached to the side of the building, but rather an unspectacular assembly of scaffolding poles, which you were only permitted to ascend if you conformed to certain height and other criteria, and also wore a high-vis jacket and a hard hat. Bit too much like work used to be. At the top, you would have been treated to a guided lecture or talk on the works going on inside the plastic sheeting that covers half the castle. Oh, and when we were there, the 'viewing tower' was closed for lunch.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
 Oh, and when we were there, the 'viewing tower' was closed for lunch.

I wonder what viewing towers eat for lunch?

I did not get up this morning until well after sun rise and then went to Tesco after breakfast and also having established that the mistake that I thought I had made last night in the shed wasn't a mistake at all and all the work that I thought I would have to re-do, won't have to be re-done. This afternoon I have cut the grass and have no further thoughts of returning to Drongo for the forseeable future.

While we were there, by the way, there was mention of a 'viewing tower'. Being aware of the potential for spectacular views in that area, I was rather looking forward to ascending the 'viewing tower' and doing some viewing whilst up there.

To my mild disappointment, this was not some granite edifice attached to the side of the building, but rather an unspectacular assembly of scaffolding poles, which you were only permitted to ascend if you conformed to certain height and other criteria, and also wore a high-vis jacket and a hard hat. Bit too much like work used to be. At the top, you would have been treated to a guided lecture or talk on the works going on inside the plastic sheeting that covers half the castle. Oh, and when we were there, the 'viewing tower' was closed for lunch.

Sounds like you had a great day out!  :yes:  :no2:

• RMweb Gold

Except that he missed the Argentine lot getting thrashed. (I have a long, long memory.........)

I saw that one, I was in the garage modelling and had the phone tuned to the BBC.  Loved it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Except that he missed the Argentine lot getting thrashed. (I have a long, long memory.........)

P

Didn’t Private Eye, back then, have a spoof Sun front page with the headline “Kill an Argie and win a Metro!”? Allegedly when the Sun editor saw it he said “F.....g brilliant! Why didn’t we think of that?”
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Didn’t Private Eye, back then, have a spoof Sun front page with the headline “Kill an Argie and win a Metro!”? Allegedly when the Sun editor saw it he said “F.....g brilliant! Why didn’t we think of that?”

Yes, it was about the time of the sinking of the General Belgrano, when the Sun ran its infamous 'Gotcha' headline.