SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Quiz:

why (apart from being DCC) should part of a layout, probably a diamond crossing, refuse to work after working perfectly before and nothing (AFAICT) having happened to cause the stubborness? If I had more hair I'd be pulling it out right now.

Off to The Junction to wield the gadget that looks at trickery flows and probably to use a number of very rude words.

B. Pillocks.

• RMweb Gold

Quiz:

why (apart from being DCC) should part of a layout, probably a diamond crossing, refuse to work after working perfectly before and nothing (AFAICT) having happened to cause the stubborness?

Double check the obvious, that is so obvious that you didn't check. Things like rulers, files, razor saws left on the layout that just happen to be across the rails and sending the magic to where it shouldn't be. It saves much bad language later.

• RMweb Premium

Quiz:

why (apart from being DCC) should part of a layout, probably a diamond crossing, refuse to work after working perfectly before and nothing (AFAICT) having happened to cause the stubborness? If I had more hair I'd be pulling it out right now.

Off to The Junction to wield the gadget that looks at trickery flows and probably to use a number of very rude words.

B. Pillocks.

Yea, that's completely f####d the layour electrrrrrrrrrrrrrrics at one end. The dead area is still dead despite loads of crawling around, and now another point has failed. Nothing has caught fire, there are no short circuits......I think I'm being punished for being an Ar$£ and being rude about Panniers. I've even checked for mice................................

Booooooooooo!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yea, that's completely f####d the layour electrrrrrrrrrrrrrrics at one end. The dead area is still dead despite loads of crawling around, and now another point has failed. Nothing has caught fire, there are no short circuits......I think I'm being punished for being an Ar$£ and being rude about Panniers. I've even checked for mice................................

Booooooooooo!

Oh dear - need to check more thingy stuff.

Hope you're not going finish up like the bloke down the road from me who called round this morning to ask if I'd seen an Open Reach van because his 'phone isn't working.  As his 'puter link works I suggested that there might be a broken wire somewhere but he says he had tested the master socket and the 'phone still doesn't work so I said -then it's a broken wire on the BT side like happened to us once.  No he said, he reckoned they'd been round and disconnected him and had I seen anybody up the telegraph pole by my front gate disconnecting wires?  This bloke is apparently 'something in computing' and yet he doesn't understand basic telephone circuitry and faults and that seems to be because he thinks BT is out to get him and cut him off - I told him to report the fault but he didn't like that idea because they'd be out to get him.

So please Ducky do not turn into a paranoid nut like him if your two wires don't work9 and at least you wash before leaving home - maybe he should too!).

• RMweb Premium

Double check the obvious, that is so obvious that you didn't check. Things like rulers, files, razor saws left on the layout that just happen to be across the rails and sending the magic to where it shouldn't be. It saves much bad language later.

Ah, of course. I shall scan for track pins and similar daft items. Thank you. As there does not seem to be any short circuiting (as I had once before and it turned out to be a Comet coach kit unpainted with the wheels shorting against the under frame in some way and another when a loose wire had slipped into contact with the 'wrong rail').

I suspect I might have some sort of malaise of Frogs and Juice. I wonder if there may have been a power surge or something during the thundery weather and my Frogas have an ague.

I have been checking for a couple of hours this moirning but then had an Immune response to something in my lunch and have just crawled back out of bed where I've been since about 2 oclock. I may have the energy to go back up later?

Thanks for the ideas.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

If some of it has gone dead try following the volts until they vanish - you may well have a wire that has come loose (or for single core wire one that has fractured inside its pretty coloured coat).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If some of it has gone dead try following the volts until they vanish - you may well have a wire that has come loose (or for single core wire one that has fractured inside its pretty coloured coat).

I only use multicore wire (except the old ring main stuff with the huge brass core which makes up most of the long runs on ths BUSES). I reckon it is some sort of weird affliction of the actual points which seems remarkable. Thanks though; the logical approach is the best way and I have ID'd where power disappears in most of the area. 

It can only be the red wire or the black wire...........

Cheers,

Mick

Yup, but I also have brown and yellow and red and blue (3 BUSES) so I'm cheating :mail:  :drag: 

I've also checked and BT have not sabotaged my wires.

Philk 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I only use multicore wire (except the old ring main stuff with the huge brass core which makes up most of the long runs on ths BUSES). I reckon it is some sort of weird affliction of the actual points which seems remarkable. Thanks though; the logical approach is the best way and I have ID'd where power disappears in most of the area. 

Yup, but I also have brown and yellow and red and blue (3 BUSES) so I'm cheating :mail:  :drag:

I've also checked and BT have not sabotaged my wires.

Philk 

I can sing a Rainbow, sing a Rainbow....blah blahhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRTdq0VsLGQ           oh puke........................

• RMweb Premium

I can sing a Rainbow, sing a Rainbow....blah blahhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRTdq0VsLGQ           oh puke........................

That there song is technically incorrect. There is no pink and the purple is called indigo and violet, but it is only purple. So start wearing purple....

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Every rainbow has a silver lining. One set of arse points and a cross crossing sorted. Don't really know why but they now seem to want to play, after a stern thrashing and more than two wires were injured during the activity.

The lining is that I realised I had a redundant short loop that was stupidly duplicating an already available route and thus, I could rip up a point and the adjoining motor (that actually had three wires and a Micro Switch for the Froggy; such a simple device when in an off stage/on board top position) and just lay two short pieces of track instead.

That's almost sorted.

Now, this afternoon I need to speak with the onstage (just) Station east end down point that is refusing to do what it should. I suspect this time it is the Froggy Juicer and or the two wires for power. 

I'm going up The Junction, I may be some time.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

West end Xovers and stuff fully sorted and tested and even a point 'Frogged' with Microswitch; motor yet to be wired up, probably along with others at a later date.

Now then, the Station east down point. Do I attempt to redo it or fit motors with Froggy switches and see if that works, or sort it first with a Juicer and then fit the motors later? Decisions.Tonight will answer that one.

P

• RMweb Gold

Every rainbow has a silver lining. One set of arse points and a cross crossing sorted. Don't really know why but they now seem to want to play, after a stern thrashing and more than two wires were injured during the activity.

The lining is that I realised I had a redundant short loop that was stupidly duplicating an already available route and thus, I could rip up a point and the adjoining motor (that actually had three wires and a Micro Switch for the Froggy; such a simple device when in an off stage/on board top position) and just lay two short pieces of track instead.

That's almost sorted.

Now, this afternoon I need to speak with the onstage (just) Station east end down point that is refusing to do what it should. I suspect this time it is the Froggy Juicer and or the two wires for power. 

I'm going up The Junction, I may be some time.

P

I've just had a word with my 'lectric consultant and he may have the answer ?

Barry

Edited by bgman