SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I worked as an engine cleaner for a while at Bluebell. Great in the summer but the unreliability of fog and mist over Dartford bridge in the winter meant I couldn't alpways guarantee getting there for a 7 am start, so I couldn't get on the loco crew roster, plus that was the time of road works and 7 mile queues coming hm through Dartford Tunnel so I packed it in.

You may well know of Clive Groom, former Nine Elms driver, now on the Bluebell. He has published a book , "British Steam, The Final Years" which is actually his diary account of every steam turn he drove from Waterloo to Salisbury and Bournemouth from1964 to the end of steam . I really lovely book GFor steam anoraks, a warts and all account of the best and worst of footpath life, Everything from driving down to Salisbury in high wind with so much steanm blowing down over the cab he was passing through stations without even knowing they were there, to being put on the slow line through Wimbledon and nearly derailing the train at 40mph because he forgot there was 20 mph limit on the slow. Then the best: a poetic description of driving through a frost covered Hampshire in the early hours with everything lit up by moonlight, and speaking with great passion of the joy of driving a Bullied Pacific at 90mph.

I loved it and I am any Steam , especially Southern Steam fan would . Only £4 and I've read it three times.

PS, Clive's comments on the amount of beer they drank are interesting to say the least !

I noticed that book today as one of the thousands of ads that infest my Laptop. Quite tempted. I did my first Footplate experience with Clive and his daughter. Blimey that must have been early 2000s.

P

Royal Blue on Devon Lundin turns used to stop at Yeovil Town for a comfort break IIRC?

P

On an overnighter to the Festival of Britain when I was sixteen (how old does that make me?) from Plymouth, I threw up on one! :stink: Must have missed Yeovil!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Them's Exeter Corporation buzzes, you'lm be wanting Devun Gen'ral or The [southern/Western] Nash'nol to see the countryside.

Don't suppose you know what types of bus did the Sunday services from The Junction to Seaton and return circa 1958/ 1965?

P

• RMweb Gold

Please keep politcal comments  to a level not noted by the Naughty Step Enforcers. Statements such as wot jezzer mumbled is deffo out of order, however he was correct and broke no rules!    :scared:

A. Merkel.

We're okay, it's not as if anyone mentioned Brexit..............oh, hang on.......

• RMweb Gold

Wot is a LNER Azuma? Is it like a LNER Bongo?

Who thinks up these ridiculous names?

Brian.

I believe the Finching sisters had a lot to do with it.......

Rob

post-14122-0-53780500-1545342314.jpg

Thanks. That warmed me up.I used to do some days helping out at the Watercress (Mid Hants) on their big gala days. The Bluebell was my local railway and the Mid Hants was an hour and a half away, so KIngscote used to get my labour on Saturdays in the summer season, when it was the northern terminus.

P

Shame I didn't 'know' you in those days - I've been an armchair member, occasional visitor and regular contributor since the 9F first arrived!

• Like 2

A little gem of further good/interesting news for me! Whilst looking at goods workings at/through SJ, in my collection of books, I came across a working I have not noticed before.  Seemingly there were Car Carriers (probably GUVs) added to the Sundays 09.00 Waterloo/Exeter in the peak summer season*, depending on demand, when the SO Surbiton Car carrier was running (*may have been at other times but I can not verify that as yet). There was a return working but I've forgotten when that was! Little used facility is suggested! Then there were paths available for an extra Car Carrier dedicated train from Surbiton to Okehampton on summer peak Fridays depending upon demand (and that was little by all accounts!) One train was recorded in the stuff I was reading. I also discovered that in the first year of the Surbiton Okehampton Car Carrier service (1960 I am sure it was), there was not a dining vehicle in the passenger accommodation. That Buffet was introduced the next year and ran until the service finished in late September 1964. There you go, hidden gems of info I had never noticed before.

I also established a new insight into what goods was working and when at/through SJ from this particular bit of 'research'. Weekdays quite a lot and mostly overnight. Summer Saturdays there was hardly any at all. There was some good info about loco use on these trains as well and that was useful.

Phil

It must have been somewhere towards the end of the sixties that my family had a Cornish Motorail holiday - Paddington - Penzance IIRC. I certainly remember going with my mother and sainted aunt to Swansea having lunch in the restaurant car in the early 1970s with her Sunbeam Rapier being whizzed along behind as we headed over to our holiday cottage in Ireland. 

Of course in those days Motorail was viable because the journey times to the ends of the country, and indeed Scotland were viable because of the slow roads . My parents even took a Motorail/ sleeper to Carlisle when my dad retired in the mid 1980s. 

You'd think that with the congestion on the roads it would be a viable idea once agin, but I don't suppose anyone has the nous to come up with such a great idea, and making a profitable business case would be nigh on impossible.

And they wonder why we do nostalgia?

I worked as an engine cleaner for a while at Bluebell. Great in the summer but the unreliability of fog and mist over Dartford bridge in the winter meant I couldn't alpways guarantee getting there for a 7 am start, so I couldn't get on the loco crew roster, plus that was the time of road works and 7 mile queues coming hm through Dartford Tunnel so I packed it in.

You may well know of Clive Groom, former Nine Elms driver, now on the Bluebell. He has published a book , "British Steam, The Final Years" which is actually his diary account of every steam turn he drove from Waterloo to Salisbury and Bournemouth from1964 to the end of steam . I really lovely book GFor steam anoraks, a warts and all account of the best and worst of footplate life, Everything from driving down to Salisbury in high wind with so much steanm blowing down over the cab he was passing through stations without even knowing they were there, to being put on the slow line through Wimbledon and nearly derailing the train at 40mph because he forgot there was 20 mph limit on the slow. Then the best: a poetic description of driving through a frost covered Hampshire in the early hours with everything lit up by moonlight, and speaking with great passion of the joy of driving a Bullied Pacific at 90mph.

I loved it and I am any Steam , especially Southern Steam fan would . Only £4 and I've read it three times.

PS, Clive's comments on the amount of beer they drank are interesting to say the least !

Just ordered it - thanks for the heads up!

I noticed that book today as one of the thousands of ads that infest my Laptop. Quite tempted. I did my first Footplate experience with Clive and his daughter. Blimey that must have been early 2000s.

P

... and she went on to drive 60103 - how cool is that!

Don't suppose you know what types of bus did the Sunday services from The Junction to Seaton and return circa 1958/ 1965?

P

Lodekka? or would that be too early. That said they tended to be more the favourites of NBC so it could have been a Regent V

Isn't this covered on this thread? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103102-taunton-to-seaton-via-hemyock-1960-1964/ I didn't;t get to the end!

• RMweb Premium

Just another boring pointy EMU as far as I can see.

Our railways are becoming more of a mass transit system with trams than a proper railway.  

It's even duller than a 91 and MkIVs

You boring old fart....it looks lovely Ah-zoooooom-ah! :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Lodekka? or would that be too early. That said they tended to be more the favourites of NBC so it could have been a Regent V

Isn't this covered on this thread? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103102-taunton-to-seaton-via-hemyock-1960-1964/ I didn't;t get to the end!

Nope, that was more the cross country routes and they went via Axminster. I'm now trying to discover what might have been used on the Sunday service shuttle between SJ and Seaton and return. That would have been a 'local' bus Company turn I should think?

P

• RMweb Premium

Just another boring pointy EMU as far as I can see.

Our railways are becoming more of a mass transit system with trams than a proper railway.  

It's even duller than a 91 and MkIVs

Finking about pointy fings......I had someone spend nearly an hour trying to tell me the advantage a pointy steam loco had over a non pointy one and why when the carriages pushed it down hill it went 126 mph. Now what were the letters on the side of the coal truck it had behind it......L......N....E ....R .......wow what a coincidence.

There isn't a little yellow bloke with a wooden spoon.