Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Great set of pics and report Tim!

Another positive is that missing fencing in Marine Parade was being replaced earlier this afternoon.

All the those glass fibre boards were also taken away from site ready for tamping, there were flipping hundreds of em! :O

Yes, a certain mutual friend sent me a couple of snaps of the nice new fence earlier on! Top stuff!

• Like 3

A marvellous job by all concerned everytime the Capn posts there is yet another miracle in Dawlish by hundreds of men in dayglow orange suits backed by solid british ingenuity ,well done all the companies concerned and every worker ,thank you.

Having been amused by some of the loose and friendly non-technical names applied to equipment and features in past posts about images shown, I am amused by IMG_1847.JPG above, which apparently shows an autonomous alien terrain explorer which has just happened to land on Dawlish down platform while all these works are going on. Firstly, what sort of report is it going to send back to it's indescribably ugly masters about the level of activity in human Society? and secondly, what do you think the proper name for this device ought to be? Pointy-legged walky thingey? Your choice.

• RMweb Gold

Do we know it's a 'rush design' or was it something stashed away in a cupboard marked 'contingency jobs'?

My office cupboard had a file of sketch plans for signalling renewals and the abolition of every signalbox on the division. One got quickly put into use due to the existing structure starting to get further from the line and threatening to take half of the embankment with it, another when a train derailed and took most of the box as it went past..

• Like 1

Many thanks for the pictures and informative updates CK. A clever use of fibreglass moulds and concrete to recreate the stone pattern on the seaward side of the wall. Apologies if this has been asked previously, but is the embossed concrete facing a temporary finish until real stone can face it? Is it going to be coloured in some way to match the existing wall or is it going to be left to colour and weather naturally over time?

Huge respect to the Orange Army and a big like on the Dawlish 'Facebook' page.

Whats the machine thats sitting on the platform? The one that looks as if it's escaped from Dr. Who.

As RedgateModels has already stated, its a tamper attachment for packing ballast under sleepers.

• RMweb Gold

Having been amused by some of the loose and friendly non-technical names applied to equipment and features in past posts about images shown, I am amused by IMG_1847.JPG above, which apparently shows an autonomous alien terrain explorer which has just happened to land on Dawlish down platform while all these works are going on. Firstly, what sort of report is it going to send back to it's indescribably ugly masters about the level of activity in human Society? and secondly, what do you think the proper name for this device ought to be? Pointy-legged walky thingey? Your choice.

I have visions of it getting excited and jumping around all over the place like those chattery teeth...

Andi

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have visions of it getting excited and jumping around all over the place like those chattery teeth...

Andi

You need more sleep and fewer coffees and late night cheese snacks ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

and secondly, what do you think the proper name for this device ought to be? Pointy-legged walky thingey? Your choice.

It's a space invader.

post-408-0-87340700-1394845709.jpg

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The legacy of the Broad Gauge (space/width)  has been useful by the looks of the position of those L Sections inside the original wall?

That is one superb set of photos. What a project. It leaves me quite breathless when I think how difficult it can be to get any sort of work done on other types of infrastructure.

I do hope there is plenty of follow up to all this in the mainstream press (not just the engineering periodicals).

Amazing work from NR/Contractors. Many congratulations and I look forward to coming down to look at all this when it is completed later in the year.

P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

Nah tampers just jiggle it about a bit. If you really want the ballast under the sleepers you need a stoneblower ;)

I'm sure when I landed at Great Northern House in May 1990, the Stoneblower project team was across the corridor. They were headed up by a Mr Strange.

I'm sure when I landed at Great Northern House in May 1990, the Stoneblower project team was across the corridor. They were headed up by a Mr Strange.

"Mr Strange and the Stoneblowers."

Now that's a title for a cheap paperback sci-fi novel if ever there was one...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The legacy of the Broad Gauge (space/width)  has been useful by the looks of the position of those L Sections inside the original wall?

That is one superb set of photos. What a project. It leaves me quite breathless when I think how difficult it can be to get any sort of work done on other types of infrastructure.

I do hope there is plenty of follow up to all this in the mainstream press (not just the engineering periodicals).

Amazing work from NR/Contractors. Many congratulations and I look forward to coming down to look at all this when it is completed later in the year.

P @ 36E

They do look a bit tight to structure gauge but it could well be the angle of view which gives that impression.

(BTW the broad gauge wouldn't have much to do with it as the stone wall in the Dawlish area post dates the gauge narrowing).