Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

I have emailed Hattons as the option to have them DCC fitted seems to have been removed. 

Yes I too noticed this - I have it on pre-order for the maroon one with the option of Hattons soldering the decoder in.

I emailed them at lunch time Monday regarding that the option has now been taken off the system.

As soon as I hear off them I will post what they say - you never know it may be that they are getting too many orders for them to fit the decoder and it's a way to make sure that they don't get a back-log.

I'm sure we will know on Tuesday. The model does look good!

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have emailed Hattons as the option to have them DCC fitted seems to have been removed. 

I had one on order from Hattons, but had an email from them to say that now they have had the opportunity to examine one, they will not be able to offer the decoder fitting service.

Alan

I've had a notification off Hattons and now that they have the model they have decided not to offer this service.

From the reply I have it's obvious that it requires a little more effort than soldering 2 wires!

They we're using their own decoder for cost reasons - I notice that the DCC Concepts one is a little smaller but a little more costly.

I'm wondering about attacking the wagon load with a dremel and then modelling a tarpaulin to go anything that is visible.

Hope this helps to clarify the DCC conversion offered initially by Hattons.

Stuart

• Like 1

You'll need to break into the wiring so there is a bit of work required - at least 4 wires to solder.

Do it in the railcar and a tiny chip could be hidden in the back under "stuff".

In the trailer you'll need to make a taller load BUT I think the existing one is structural as it appear to hold the motor down. Removing and replacing the top seemed to make a difference to the gear noise until the screws were replaced properly. I don't see this as a problem - just something to be aware of. The load is plastic by the way so you won't need a Dremell. All the weight is either side of the motor in the casting.

DCC doable? I would think so, but it's more than a plug-in job. Blame the prototype!

it is a little poor that in this day and age DCC provisions have not been made. 

We've been over it all before - there is simply no room for a decoder and socket in the model in a way which would suit a product for the mass market. Those of us who want to DCC it will find a way (or someone who can); if the product had a socket on the railcar floor and lost more space with a decoder there would have been more people objecting to that compromise (especially if they're DC). So if the market was adamant that it had to be DCC compatible we wouldn't have a Wickham trolley full stop.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here are the two videos I've just uploaded to YouTube of the trolley. They are not perfect, and my layout is not perfect either, but I think they give a reasonable idea of how the trolley runs on a layout. Peco code 100 track.[/url]

[/url]

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 10

Guest Midland Mole

Well I'm torn. I really want one, but I won't be having any DC on my layout....so it would be for display only.

.....It's so cute though.....

- Alex

Edit: Plus it might be worth buying it as I live in hope that a DCC solution may one day be found. :)

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

Guest 40-something

Well no trolley for me then, it is a little poor that in this day and age DCC provisions have not been made.

I don't think you realise just how small this model is, there is just no room for a plug and play dcc option without losing substantial detail from the trolley or having a very unrealistic load on the trailer.

Why don't you fit a chip yourself or pay someone to do it rather than slate the manufacturer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I called in at Arcadia Models, Shaw today for another item and discovered they had the yellow wickham trolley in stock. I had to get one. It really is tiny. Bachman have done an amazing job to squeeze a motor into such a little beast. Five years ago dcc decoders were bigger than the Wickham Trolley, so no suprise that it isn't DCC ready. Hopefully someone will show us how to squeeze one of the tiny decoders which you can now get into it.

I don't think you realise just how small this model is, there is just no room for a plug and play dcc option without losing substantial detail from the trolley or having a very unrealistic load on the trailer.

Why don't you fit a chip yourself or pay someone to do it rather than slate the manufacturer?

Because :-

A) I don't have the skills

B) I am in Canada and do not have anyone that coudl do it for me

I am entitled to an opinion and don't think I should be bashed because of it. I haven't said anything mean or degrading or anything other members may be thinking. 

Enough on the subject I get it,  it's micro and DC...................................

Edited by thebritfarmer

I am entitled to an opinion and don't think I should be bashed because of it.

Entitlement? Really? And if you do express an opinion which is wholly impractical please do expect others to respond.

Well I've still kept my order for the maroon version but added a separated DCC Concepts Zen Nano decoder to the order - not sure yet how I'm going to fix it all together but I am sure with the expert advice always available on here that I'll get it to work on DCC!

My crew are all ready to be fixed inside (the Preiser seated industrial workers) - just can't wait for it to become available.

I'm now spending my spare hours practicing my solder skills... gulp!

• Like 1

I hope those of you that have got a Wickham have seen the warning about DCC controllers - it says :

"Do not run the Wickham Trolley as an 'analogue' item on a DCC system (DCC Address 0, or 10 on E-Z Command as the motor will be permanently damaged by the DCC signal"

I read this just in time..........

BIG question - does this mean that it CANNOT be chipped for DCC - answers please?

Edited by Martin_R