Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

Well, I never knew they had one there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35476094@N04/8495325815/

Wonderful photo! There appears to be a small trailer too, between the Class 01 and the man bending over. That run round loop must rank as the shortest one I'm aware of! Iirc the Holyhead Breakwater only had 2 flat wagons for carrying stone blocks (looks as if 1 is trailing the 01).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just tried to find a set of Preiser 10351 industrial figures to populate my trolley with when it arrives and found that since this was suggested up thread they are now suddenly as rare as hens teeth!!  As I am refusing to pay very exorbitant postage from mainland Europe on Ebay, anyone able to point me towards someone who has a set in stock or suggest another alternative please?

• RMweb Gold

Just tried to find a set of Preiser 10351 industrial figures to populate my trolley with when it arrives and found that since this was suggested up thread they are now suddenly as rare as hens teeth!!  As I am refusing to pay very exorbitant postage from mainland Europe on Ebay, anyone able to point me towards someone who has a set in stock or suggest another alternative please?

£3.80 postage from Germany isn't that bad: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/381539133273?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39159866351&rlsatarget=pla-268911519738&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1007237&device=c&campaignid=698622927&crdt=0

And the set isn't a bad price either.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Osborn Models appear to have them in stock - £13.38 for the pack.

I'm wondering if the recent figures that have been delivered from Europe are starting to go up in cost due to the exchange rate issues that are being widely talked about.

Hope this helps - but as mentioned above by Roy the cost of the figures on the listing from Germany is low.

I'm still waiting for the Maroon Wickham so I've not been able to do a trial fit on these.

Stuart.

• RMweb Gold

Holyhead Breakwater.

Another pic showing the Wickham.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35476094@N04/8495327395/in/photostream/

With those side sheets providing a possible way to hide a decoder maybe??

Yes I know this was not usual on BR tracks but might be enough to provide an excuse to change the model or even modify the trailer in a similar way making it even easier - we keep seeing prototypes for everything?

There's been a bit of talk on here about Wickhams on the Somerset & Dorset. Just watched through this little video, showing parts of the journey from Templecombe to Bath Green Park, and it features two of the lines Wickhams! The first can be seen at 2:06 at Evercreech Junction and the second during 2:58 at Shepton Mallet. Can just make out the number of the one at Shepton, if you stop it right. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz0mNHWRF98

• Like 4

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is some prototype inspiration in Dave F's excellent RMWeb thread (UK Prototype Discussions)...

I've put them here - I tried to link, but it didn't work for some reason (probably me...)

post-5613-0-42075500-1418572499.jpgpost-5613-0-20369100-1452687523.jpgpost-5613-0-54728600-1439401751.jpgpost-5613-0-62026600-1457710981.jpg

With all the talk of hiding DCC chips the third and fourth photos here from Billy's post should provide inspiration. The third in particular piqued my interest as it has solid sides with a door, in green livery/yellow ends; a local conversion to protect the occupants from the Highland weather perhaps?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Is there a definitive fleet list of the BR Wickham trolleys anywhere?  Could be helpful if I decide to renumber my maroon one to a Southern Region example at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Is there a definitive fleet list of the BR Wickham trolleys anywhere?  Could be helpful if I decide to renumber my maroon one to a Southern Region example at some point.

I have an old copy (1988) of 'Track Machines' from Platform 5 publications. This lists the trolleys that were in service at that time including previous numbers. Southern region machines it appears had their own numbering system, DS followed by a 2, 3 or 4 digit number. Two examples of the allocated numbers are DS52 (Wimbledon) and DS3317 (Hastings). The first one is almost certainly a type 27 as modelled by Bachmann but the other may well be a later model. Its quite possible as well that they could have been painted a colour other than maroon (green?). It will either need more research or apply rule 1.

• RMweb Premium

As an extra bit of information. The headlamp position varied on a lot of these trolleys. Instead of being fitted as an 'add-on' to the front many had the headlamp mounted flush just below the roof above the windscreens. Many appear to have had the headlamp raised to roof level (perhaps for safety reasons?) in later years. Something to bear in mind if you want to fit working lights.