Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

• RMweb Gold

The only bogies that would take over Masbury would be the ones in the drivers nose!!!

Jinty ;)

I don't buy that one.

The only driver passed on these Wickham trollies was Reginald Freesnot, who was known locally as the Man with the Immaculate Nasal Septa.

I don't buy that one.

The only driver passed on these Wickham trollies was Reginald Freesnot, who was known locally as the Man with the Immaculate Nasal Septa.

But you're forgetting that Nepaleese passed fireman who resided in Bath from after the second world war, Sing Bungdupta, the only clear orifice he had was related to the food he ate!!!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

Following my review of the Wickham, here's a short running session. Amazed at how it just glides over the massive Hornby Express points with ease. Hope it's of help.

It definitely needs populating, with a driver at least.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we've seen these in this thread before but it seems Bachmanns interpretation of the trailer is quite close to prototype.

17782463635_5739423817_c.jpgWickham No17 Materials and Personnel Trailer leaflet. CCI26112013_0004 by Steve, on Flickr

17163434343_53a2c6cb44_c.jpgWickham Flying Gang Trolleys and Trailers for Railway Track Maintenance leaflet, p4. CCI26112013_0009 by Steve, on Flickr

17163848893_8c43a2dd66_c.jpgWickham Flying Gang Trolleys and Trailers for Railway Track Maintenance leaflet, p2.CCI26112013_0007 by Steve, on Flickr

12004569974_23dc0d2f43_c.jpgCCI05012014 (2) by Steve, on Flickr

Plenty more of modification inspiring pictures on this page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112499646@N07/albums/72157640748052985

With Oxfordrail  Goldem Valley anouncing the introduction the Rail modified Army land rover (Static)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/01/85/4a/01854a586fc0f2323e63413e882ed4ba.jpg

and

http://www.hattons.co.uk/57657/Golden_Valley_Hobbies_GV8001_Land_Rover_MkII_with_rail_wheels_to_run_on_OO_gauge_track_non_powered_/StockDetail.aspx

who will be first to motorise one of those?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5

John

Having just seen one for 'real' I fully accept your point. I remember seeing one of these on the real railway many years back; perhaps when you are knee high to a proverbial grasshopper your sense of scale is a little iffy.

Though I like your comments about the static etched kit. Looks quite good. (Personally I think the novelty of running one of these would wear off quickly, so a static kit looks good to me anyway). I will still buy one of these for the hell of it though.

Thanks again for your very thought provoking and useful comments.

John Isherwood.

PS. I suspect that you do not appreciate just how tiny this trolley is - just the metal wheels of a Tenshedo SPUD or BLACK BEETLE probably weigh more that the trolley trailer; and SPUDS / BLACK BEETLES are used in models that can accommodate plenty of ballast weight.

• Like 1

I know nowt about Wickham Trolleys so am probably talking complete cr*p but, looking at that brochure, on the last page the second picture down on the right looks like a trailer kitted out as a personnel carrier. Now if the trailer on the Bachmann Wickham was converted to that with the side sheets down that would seem like a good option for hiding a decoder.

As Wickham's were exported all over the world, whether that would be any good for a British Prototype I don't know.

• Like 1

Are you getting confused the trailer has the motor in it under the load the trolly has the bench seats where the workers sat and it was driven from. On the full size trolly they ran without trailers but would pull a trailer if required !

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

Are you getting confused ..........

No, I think you are.

It's a good suggestion, IF the prototype unpowered personnel carriers ran in the UK.

What he's suggesting is that the Bachmann motorised materials trailer could be rebuilt as a personnel carrier with it's canvas sides down.

Regards,

John isherwood.

Running with their sides down ! Hardly like the full size ones. Anybody got any pics of one running with the sides down

how about putting a decoder on the floor below the rear seats and covering it with a dummy load !

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

Running with their sides down ! Hardly like the full size ones. Anybody got any pics of one running with the sides down

how about putting a decoder on the floor below the rear seats and covering it with a dummy load !

Why do you think that they had canvas sides?

You'd be glad of them in a bad weather !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

No pics because the photographers did not want to get their camera wet in the rain.

Thought model railways always ran in glorious sunshine ( ideal world ) who manages to model falling rain. Even the workers would be dressed for bad weather so would the sides be needed

Edited by johnd

I think we might see it being used for narrow gauge as well, as motor is nice and low down. Wonder what radius it will go round. The body could then be fitted on a OO9 chassis(dummy) with motor in van behind. In fact with two Wickham trolleys, they would make an interesting railcar. Very tempting. Two bodies could be joined to create a single longer body which would fit on a Kato unit.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought model railways always ran in glorious sunshine ( ideal world ) who manages to model falling rain. Even the workers would be dressed for bad weather so would the sides be needed

Now there is a challenge for someone - a model railway which has it raining!