Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

• RMweb Premium

As the model is so "pretty", I wonder whether Bachmann might be persuaded to produce a dummy version with an empty trailer ?

You'd save the cost of a motor and circuit board but have to cover the tooling of a new trailer body. Overall, you probably wouldn't save very much money.

If a static model that looks good is your aim, head to N Brass models: http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/ooloco.html

Would the trailer be neccessary with a static model? For that matter would someone like Oxford Diecast be interested in producing a static model? after all they've given us the IOM locomotive and tram.

Would the trailer be neccessary with a static model? For that matter would someone like Oxford Diecast be interested in producing a static model? after all they've given us the IOM locomotive and tram.

I was wondering if the trailer might have potential as a chassis for other vehicles, with its tiny wheels. With drive to one axle, it ought to be reasonably easy to alter the wheelbase. This one, for example?

small_railmotor_with_trailer.jpg

Photo link:- http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/topics/other_railmotors/small_railmotor_with_trailer.jpg on the Colonel Stephens Railway Museum site.

Edited by £1.38
  • Like 5

There is loads of room for a decoder under the roof of the trolley, but hiding the wiring might be slightly difficult.

"Loads" as in 3mm depth at the highest point. You'd gain 1mm by replacing it with brass.

And you've got to guide 4 wires up some very spindly pillars.

I think the engine compartment looks more promising, especially if replaced with a slightly overscale brass version and a figure each side, but you still need a miniscule chip.

Can't see a diecast version being cheap either. Both IOM models are properly wallet-lightening, especially for us Manx train addicts!

There used to be a whitemetal kit but I can't remember who from, Springside possibly. I built it and apart from being a bit flimsy (thin pillars) it looked great. Would make a fantastic starter kit for anyone with glue assembly. No harder than a plastic model and ideal lineside clutter.

• RMweb Premium

"Loads" as in 3mm depth at the highest point. You'd gain 1mm by replacing it with brass.

And you've got to guide 4 wires up some very spindly pillars.

I think the engine compartment looks more promising, especially if replaced with a slightly overscale brass version and a figure each side, but you still need a miniscule chip.

Hi

What about the CT Electronic DCX77 as its only 5 x 7.6 x 1.8mm.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

My thinking on reducing the impact of the trailer load - when the maroon version is released - is to cut away the load; lay clingfilm tightly over the mechanism and trailer inner faces; and spread a thin layer of ballast mixed with diluted PVA over the clingfilm.

Once set, the clingfilm could be trimmed back down to the ballast and some tools, etc. glued on top of the ballast.

This should be a less obvious disguise for the mechanism than a full-to-overflowing load of moulded ballast.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although obtaining a copy relies on having either a time machine or a particularly lucky strike on a second hand mag stall at your local exhibition :)

Some on e bay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=railway+modeller+november+1969&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%22railway+modeller+november+1969%22.TRS0&_nkw=%22railway+modeller+november+1969%22&_sacat=0

• RMweb Premium

Can't see a diecast version being cheap either. Both IOM models are properly wallet-lightening, especially for us Manx train addicts!

There used to be a whitemetal kit but I can't remember who from, Springside possibly. I built it and apart from being a bit flimsy (thin pillars) it looked great. Would make a fantastic starter kit for anyone with glue assembly. No harder than a plastic model and ideal lineside clutter.

Most of the Oxford cars and vans, which are of a similar size to the Wickham retail at about £5 so should be well within most budgets. Perhaps someone could pose an Oxford model such as a Transit van alongside one for comparison.

Most of the Oxford cars and vans, which are of a similar size to the Wickham retail at about £5 so should be well within most budgets. Perhaps someone could pose an Oxford model such as a Transit van alongside one for comparison.

Size isn't everything. If it was, an IOM peacock would be about a tenner. It's a more complicated model so costs more.

The transit is basically a 1 piece body only painted on the outside. A Wickham would be several parts painted both inside and out. You've less livery options than a van too and most people would only buy 1 so much lower sales.

Having said this, Oxford do commissions including roller coaster cars for theme parks so I'm sure this could be done. A job for crowdfunding?

Personally, I'd be more inclined to see is SouthEastern finecast have the Nucast moulds for the whitemetal version.

Could you make space for a decoder by changing the load to some sleepers laid over the trolley sides? Fore and aft probably so as to be sure not to foul the other road.

Would be a more sensible load for dropping off as you went along as they could be unloaded as required much quicker than ballast.

• RMweb Premium

Size isn't everything. If it was, an IOM peacock would be about a tenner. It's a more complicated model so costs more.

The transit is basically a 1 piece body only painted on the outside. A Wickham would be several parts painted both inside and out. You've less livery options than a van too and most people would only buy 1 so much lower sales.

Having said this, Oxford do commissions including roller coaster cars for theme parks so I'm sure this could be done. A job for crowdfunding?

Personally, I'd be more inclined to see is SouthEastern finecast have the Nucast moulds for the whitemetal version.

As already discussed on this thread the number of liveries available is far more than the three produced by Bachmann. They could also produce a later fully enclosed type which was used more often by the military and came in a multitude of liveries.

As already discussed on this thread the number of liveries available is far more than the three produced by Bachmann. They could also produce a later fully enclosed type which was used more often by the military and came in a multitude of liveries.

Even if you find 20 liveries - possible if the design allows for NG versions (put me down for all the IOM colours) - then you're still nowhere near the number of paint jobs that can be applied to a transit van.

However, you are missing the point. What I'm saying is you can't price this by volume. A wickham would need a more complicated set of castings than an transit. Sales would also be lower as anyone modelling the right period (1965 onwards) can find a home for half a dozen vans but probably 1 or 2 Wickhams. 

An enclosed version would add to the number, but each version of it would need another new set of castings for the top. A bit of celever design could allow for common roofs and fronts but you're firmly into multi-part bodies so lots of assembly will be required.

It could be done and if anyone is keen, talk to Oxford and waive some money at them.

then you're still nowhere near the number of paint jobs that can be applied to a transit van.

Everyone knows, Transits are only available in white.   :scratchhead: Sort of thumbing their noses at Henry's old adage.

I'm guessing the apparent jerkiness is down to the recording and not the running quality.

How well does it run in reverse ?

Yes, I really have to distory the bit rate of my videos to get them online, so it does seem to have a jurky effect. Even then it still took an hour to get online (the trouble with living in the sticks).

I must admit the model did jurk a bit in one place, but this is due my poor track work, which I've been meaning to replace for a couple of Years now.

On a whole it really is an excellent runner :) The same can be said for reverse too

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3