Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Back to the LT&S today, around Tilbury.

attachicon.gifca West Thurrock Class 308 314 Passenger Upminster to Tilbury approaching West Thurrock Junction Jan 76 C2625.jpg

West Thurrock Class 308 314 Passenger Upminster to Tilbury approaching West Thurrock Junction Jan 76 C2625

attachicon.gifd Tilbury Town 302 226 Tilbury Riverside to Fenchurch St 4 May 80 C5038.jpg

Tilbury Town 302 226 Tilbury Riverside to Fenchurch St 4 May 80 C5038

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside 302285 May 80 J6913.jpg

Tilbury Riverside 302285 May 80 J6913

attachicon.gifeb West Tilbury Marsh Class 37 parcels to Southend East Dec 76 C3131.jpg

West Tilbury Marsh Class 37 parcels to Southend East Dec 76 C3131

attachicon.gifec Mucking Thames Haven Junction 302236 up pass via Tilbury June 75 C2172.jpg

Mucking Thames Haven Junction 302236 up pass via Tilbury June 75 C2172

David

Hi David and all

When these EMUs were in  everyday service and travelling on them every day, very little thought was given to them. Thanks to the few who did take photos of them we can remember them with fondness. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

Something a bit different for the afternoon, a few photos taken in Europe.  I do have several thousand, taken on various holidays which may appear here or in a thread in the Continental bit of RMWeb, eventually.

Germany (East)

post-5613-0-26590700-1408542997_thumb.jpg

Allerbach Harzquerbahn 99 7222 5 Wernigerode to Nordhausen 27th July 1991 C15994

At this time only one of the roads across the border in the area had been reopened so there were traffic jams.  British cars were not common so groups of children came to stare when I parked near houses.

post-5613-0-45395800-1408543001_thumb.jpg

Elbingerode Rubeland Bahn 171 004 5 8th August 1992 C17644

The Rubeland Bahn was electrified at 25kV AC rather than the normal 15kV AC, so it had it's own small class of locos.

Austria

post-5613-0-54059100-1408543005_thumb.jpg

Jenbach Acheseebahn Numbers 2 and 3 4th August 1991 C16138

Switzerland

post-5613-0-17823400-1408543010_thumb.jpg

Schindellegi Feusisberg SOB Re4/4iii 42 Arth Goldau passenger  fromSt Gallen to Einsiedeln 25th July 1989 C12271

Schindellegi Feusisberg is a station on the Sudostbahn (South Eastern Railway) between Pfaffikon and Arth Goldau.  The train is just coming off the 1 in 20 gradient up from Samstagern, the line is level through the station and then resumes the 1 in 20 climb.

Most trains are not more than 5 coaches, but I have seen photos of 14 coach trains  double headed with another loco on the rear.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of Continental photo's, and also of Bristol Temple Meads. I particularly like the photo' of the three class 50's and the snow-plough, C12106.  Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Bristol Temple Meads has always been one of my favourite larger Western region stations.  I guess it is the curve and the overall roof which gives it its character.  I used it on a daily basis during the late 70s and early 80s.  Although it was busy during the rush hour, it never felt cramped for space for the poor commuter.

I always used to call it the biggest country station on the WR - train despatch always seemed to be lackadaisical and only take place after the platform staff and Guard had a good chat and finally decided it was time to go (late).  It was quite a culture shock for them in the 1970s when a new Area Manager not only arrived from the Southern but actually regularly appeared on the platform and made use of a whistle; oddly (?) all the 'old guard' platform supervisors seemed to have retired within a few months after his arrival.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Newark here. C2858, with a 47 on a down express passenger, July, 1976, seems to have an interesting Mkll third back from the locomotive. Just cannot quite make out what it is. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Newark here. C2858, with a 47 on a down express passenger, July, 1976, seems to have an interesting Mkll third back from the locomotive. Just cannot quite make out what it is. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Market

It is a first brake. The yellow line can be seen above the passenger end of the coach, and the blue above the guards end. The shaddow of the tree falls in between the two colours.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Clive Mortimore. Thank you for that posting. I thought, at first, that it was an experimental vehicle, but the more I thought about it, the more that did not make sense. I am left wondering, though, why the BFK was put in the train where it was next to the Mkl catering vehicle.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

"Bristol Temple Meads 31407 and 31412 ex pass to Liverpool 1st July 89 C12108a"

Interesting shot, not just for the 2 x 31s, but also the stock used.

At least one mk3 behind the BG, would this perhaps be a WCML mk3 set used for a NW-SW service and return?

Was this a summer Saturday service?

I'm sure I've seen a similar train through dawlish in a YouTube video unless I'm getting mixed up with something else!

Keep these great pics coming Dave

• RMweb Premium

At least one mk3 behind the BG, would this perhaps be a WCML mk3 set used for a NW-SW service and return?

I'm sure I've seen a similar train through dawlish in a YouTube video unless I'm getting mixed up with something else!

There were some Saturday only NW-SW services using WCML sets. In the early 1990's, it wasn't unknown for Mk3 sets with DVT's to end up at Paignton.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

I've just checked, 1st July 89 was a Saturday.

David

• RMweb Premium

There were some Saturday only NW-SW services using WCML sets. In the early 1990's, it wasn't unknown for Mk3 sets with DVT's to end up at Paignton.

Cheers,

Mick

I remember one summer Saturday - probably late 80s - when a morning Wolves - Poole cross country train arrived at Reading with a Mk3 buffet. Unfortunately it had long swing-link bogies so had to be detached as they are/were banned from 3rd rail territory. It was reattached to the rake when it returned in the afternoon. It certainly wasn't the only time I saw odd Mk3s appear in rakes that shouldn't have had them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I hope that your Mum had a great 90th birthday today.

The photo's of Lincoln are as excellent as always, and I like that last one. It is interesting to see, 'in action', a 16 ton wagon having its load of coal being emptied. The conveyer to the waiting lorry on the left would make a very interesting modelling project. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like em always like to see West Highland views shame they don't run the oil to Connel Ferry anymore but you never know it might  come back .The class 37,s look good as usual anymore to come of this area?

Yes, in due course.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like these photo's of the line to Oban, when you was on that excursion train. Very atmospheric, and would not mind being one tomorrow! Love the Scottish scenery. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Was that Fort William trip organised by a group with a name like 'The Whitley Bay Horticultural Society', and did it offer an extension to Mallaig? If so, I think we were on it as well..

It was indeed.  I don't remember the extension to Mallaig - perhaps that was the one which went to Fort William in the first photo.  I went on a number of their trips - they also did Blaenau Ffestiniog and London if I remember correctly.

I'd forgotten the name but I knew it had Horticultural somewhere in it.

Thanks,

David