Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I'm not usually so enthusiastic about your photo of preserved railways (ie I just like them rather than drool over them) but those of the Tanfield Railway are great.

Thanks for all the photos from the 60s and 70s.

I only visited Hull by train once and my memory must be failing me as I seem to remember that there were cars parked in the trainshed and the trains were in the open.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifq Langley Mill MR Eastwood Colliery branch, NCB wagons June 69 J1757.jpg

Langley Mill MR Eastwood Colliery branch, NCB wagons June 69 J1757

Aah, Messr's Barber and Walkers colliery branch, aka the Beggarlee branch.

I can bore you all with some information if you like, such as why the crossing gate is only half a gate?

Mike.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but in the lovely 1952 photo the leading parcels van must still be in LMS colours as lined maroon was another 4 years away?

Guest B Exam

J1625:

The big shed was only demolished a couple of years ago. The whole of the site just wasteland at the moment, pending building 4000+ houses on the site.

It still looks strange when looking out the back of our workplace and not seeing that big shed in the background!

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What excellent photo's of both the Tanfield Railway and the Derbyshire ones. J004 at Stanton Gate, with the Jubilee in July, 1952 is superb, and in colour. J1757 at Langley Mill has me curious about the level crossing gate - I wonder why there was just the one gate? Very interesting!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What excellent photo's of both the Tanfield Railway and the Derbyshire ones. J004 at Stanton Gate, with the Jubilee in July, 1952 is superb, and in colour. J1757 at Langley Mill has me curious about the level crossing gate - I wonder why there was just the one gate? Very interesting!

All the best,

Market65.

There were 2 gates, one on either side of the road, but both hinged on the same side, one with the red disc on one face of the gate and one on the other, so that when they were closed only one side of the road was blocked, but the warning circle showed both ways. (I hope that makes sense!)

If Dave had considerately stood back a few more yards all would be revealed!

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;DMAG000585&prevUrl=

Mike.

edited to add pic.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but in the lovely 1952 photo the leading parcels van must still be in LMS colours as lined maroon was another 4 years away?

Yes, it is in LMS livery.  I was surprised how well the slide scanned as the original was in poor condition.

There were 2 gates, one on either side of the road, but both hinged on the same side, one with the red disc on one face of the gate and one on the other, so that when they were closed only one side of the road was blocked, but the warning circle showed both ways. (I hope that makes sense!)

If Dave had considerately stood back a few more yards all would be revealed!

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;DMAG000585&prevUrl=

Mike.

edited to add pic.

It's one of Dad's photos, I've just had a look and he only took the one photo there - most remiss of him!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

This photo C3901, what is the first wagon behind the 47, never seen one of these before? , again a cracking set of photo's!

Darren

One of a pair of lowmacs sandwiching a bogie bolster returning empty having being used as under runners for an overhanging load.

Mike.

Snap!!

Mike.

Some excellent Lincs nostalgia there David.  I wonder what the service could be in C1146?

A much reduced quality service Harwich boat train? Or maybe a relief to it? Certainly, the two BGs at the front seem to indicate a lot of luggage is expected.

The B1 in J054 is hauling a train of similar make up to the SuO all station stoppers to Skegness or Mablethorpe from Grantham that we occasionally caught if the weather was nice. I wonder if this is an equivalent from Lincoln?  If so it has improved motive power, as ours was usually an Ivatt 4MT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some excellent Lincs nostalgia there David.  I wonder what the service could be in C1146?

A much reduced quality service Harwich boat train? Or maybe a relief to it? Certainly, the two BGs at the front seem to indicate a lot of luggage is expected.

The B1 in J054 is hauling a train of similar make up to the SuO all station stoppers to Skegness or Mablethorpe from Grantham that we occasionally caught if the weather was nice. I wonder if this is an equivalent from Lincoln?  If so it has improved motive power, as ours was usually an Ivatt 4MT.

If anyone has a timetable with these trains in I'd love to know what they are.

C1146.  I probably took this around lunchtime on a weekday, I very occasionally got  chance to slip out from work for a short while.  

J054 at Bardney.  This may have been taken at a weekend or else it was during half term.   It was taken from Dad's boat on the River Witham if anyone wonders how he took it without swimming!.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifub Stanton Ironworks 0-4-0 diesel shunter April 69 J1625.jpg

Stanton Ironworks Yorkshire engine Co DE1 or DE2 0-4-0 diesel shunter April 69 J1625

David

J1625 belongs in the "looks like a model" thread. The painted backscene is excellent!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really like the Tanfield photo's, as well as those from around the Lincoln area. In J054, I see that the B1 has coal-weighing type tender, and the Thompson stock is really quite grimy except for the sides, which is just how I remember them. Excellent photo's.

All the best,

Market65.