Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's have been posted this evening of Bristol Temple Meads. In J5854, November, 1977, I see that 47512 has the left-hand lamp bracket missing. The last photo', C12117, is a delightful view of the station from the roadway.

All the best,

Market65.

Looks like that picture was taken from the (now removed) footbridge which crossed the A4/A37 road to the 'Reckless Engineer' pub (amongst other things). Now you have to wait for the lights and hope that the idiotic Bristol motorists (First Bus drivers being prime amongst them) notice that the lights are against them and actually stop at the crossing...

Ah my old stomping ground again! Lovely pics of Cambridge (though I do prefer earlier). I've recently changed my London commute from Huntingdon to Ely; I couldn't believe the changes at Cambridge. Even more so when there was bustitution, on the Ely to Cambridge section, and traversed some of the streets. I lived in Cambridge from 1959-1972, my has it changed, rather glad I moved out.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's posted this evening of Cambridge and Trumpington. Indeed, I especially like the 'portrait' shot of a class 101 DMU in C5068, from June, 1980.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

C567, the train could be the Cambridge Buffet Express. 1B66 was the headcode for all "fast" trains to or from Cambridge, the Beer Train , a loco hauled gangwayed or non gangwayed trains or even a 2 car Cravens DMU, so that is no help identify the train. The fifth coach has what appear to be the large round ventilators found on catering cars.

The trap point in the last photo has very fond memories. It was  a wide to gauge. I must have been ten years old or so and i reported it to a member of station staff as the blades didn't look right as i knew one or the other should be against the stock rail. The chap came and had a look  and asked me to hold on there. He went and found someone to explain why it was like it. Thank you to both of them. It fuelled a life long interest in all things signalling.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I hate to mention this, Dave, but I think 5428 was given the name, 'Eric Treacy'; 'George Stephenson' was bestowed on the Stephenson geared 4767.

Like the photos, though!

Many thanks.

You are correct - I got the caption right when I sorted out the photos for today and must have been thinking of something else when I wrote the actual post today!  I've corrected it.

David

Edited by DaveF

I have just been catching up with this enjoyable thread.

The recently added pictures of Bristol Temple Meads brought back memories, especially the last shot from the footbridge.

On the near left of that shot the BRSA club and staff canteen are now no more, I spent a lot of time in both those buildings,

as well as the previously mentioned Reckless Engineer pub over the road, back then known as the Isambard Brunel.

Many thanks

In the above picture of the class 40 there appears to be something on the rails.

Anyone know what it is?

Atb

Nik

Reinforcement with old rails to stop the whole thing falling down a hole.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Tyseley, and some terrific ones of the Settle and Carlisle as well. J5759 at Newbiggin, with a 40 on a down coal train in August, 1977 is very interesting. As I write this, Spannerman has just asked a question about the things in the rails which I think has just been answered by LNERGE. They look as if they are laid at an angle, which makes them look rather odd! Very interesting!

All the best,

Market65.

Pretty sure I was at Tyseley the same day, several of the photos look similar to ones I have somewhere.

I was there that weekend, too. The SVR had sent a convoy of three locos: 8F 8233, Collett 0-6-0 3205 and Pannier 5786. A friend and I had lit up the 8F the evening before the movement, the engine having been the subject of a massive effort to get the paintwork finished in time, although only the LH side was lettered and numbered. We followed them to Tyseley by car, where we spent the weekened looking after the 8F. I recall 6201 being there, also.

The steam ban was in force at the time and the three steam locos were - theoretically - in light steam and diesel hauled with a 25mph speed limit. The driver in charge of 8233 was a BR driver from Saltley and knew the road. He got bored at 25mph and decided to give the diesel a helping hand, and a speed of 60mph was reported before the diesel's driver resorted to the brakes. This didn't prove particularly effective as the 8F's large ejector was brought into use, so the diesel (a Class 25 from memory) had only the straight air brake to rely on. They eventually reached Tyseley, the diesel hooked off and departed with flats on all its wheels. Happy days!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Reinforcement with old rails to stop the whole thing falling down a hole.

Is this a joke (not being argumentative mate) or is this line really suffering from sinkage? The other line isn't treated the same way.

P

Is this a joke (not being argumentative mate) or is this line really suffering from sinkage? The other line isn't treated the same way.

P

Clamping old rails to the sleepers i a dodge to relieve an underline structure. In both cases there are 8 rails visible and i suspect there will be another 8 underneath. Several structures on the Cambridge - St Ives line were treated to this so type 5's could take over from type 2's.

In the case pictured i'd suggest the structure fault is below one line, the traffic that has pushed the weight limit for the line is unidirectional or it's a work in progress.

Edited by LNERGE

Regarding the St.Ives line, what was the restriction in the days when the loop was fully open?

I ask because of an interesting sighting. We used to get fairly common diversions of GN traffic via Cambridge due to engineering work etc. One weekend my mate somehow got hold of a timetable so we knew what to expectf through, and moved between varios local site. (Chesterton Junction and the Cattle Market were our favourites). Anyway, late in the evening, around 10pm, we made our seperate ways home on our bikes, me to Chesterton, and my mate to Histon. When he reached Histon LC the gates were closed. He was astounded to see a Deltic on a diverted express heading south; I heard it through Chesterton Junction from my bedroom, accelerating hard. A definite sighting from a trusted friend, we were under the impression that such workings were banned, thought the loop saw much heavy goods traffic behind big 2-8-0's.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

I expect the St Ives loop was fully capable of handling anything when it was a through line. Clearly there were issues as i suspect the singling from Swavesey to St Ives was to allow the Ouse bridge to be strengthened. I did a survey of the line for Cast Iron many years ago. All the underline structures were in need of serious repair or rebuilding. I did not note arches in distress but i did note bursting sidewalls, overstressed wing walls and general neglect. 

The relieved structure was between Oakington and Girton Road. Again no arch distress was noted but general decay was throughout. I have checked Alan Moore's marvellous site but there are no pictures.

Edit to add.. Ouse bridge. There are twice as many transom's in the up road, most probably to cope with loaded coal traffic to London.

post-4034-0-37107800-1431963526_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1