RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Liking the last set of photo's of the Tanfield Railway. Those of Stratford are good ones as well, and I would also like that class 40!  Also some good shots of Underground trains.

All the best,

Market65

P.S.  New Haven Neil. You're quite right, the chassis are 'modern, CCT's, but it is still good to see those bodies being given a new lease of life.

Some great photos of the wonderful Stratford, David! I hope you have yet more....................

The guy in the dark suit looks so typical of Stratford. He’s making sure that no one “nicks” anything.

Best, Pete.

Looks a bit like Simon Kohler to me?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Unless anyone else can spot something which gives it away for certain, I'm not 100% sure they aren't steel Gresleys. These sets were usually BT-T-C-T-BT, I think. The fourth carriage from the loco seems to have picture windows at this side - is that a lav compo or a corridor (as opposed to vestibule) 3rd?

Self-weighing tender on the B1 as well?

Ah, steel Gresleys. Never built any of those so wouldn't recognise the differences. Thanks J.

Also those modern day pics of the St Marks area are great....thanks a lot.

I reckon I was at that Stratford open day but can't remember for sure. Superb pics again David.

P

It's always a pleasure to look at your great photos Dave.

I see that the class 105 in C3198 has the Manningtree destination on the Harwich end.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Regarding Thompson non-gangwayed coaches and steel Gresley's. It is really a question of the quarter lights. On the Thompson's, the quarter lights are deeper than on the steel Gresley coaches. Also, the other thing is that on the brake coaches, there is no 'recess' at the guards end on the Thompson's. I hope that this is of help.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi. Regarding Thompson non-gangwayed coaches and steel Gresley's. It is really a question of the quarter lights. On the Thompson's, the quarter lights are deeper than on the steel Gresley coaches. Also, the other thing is that on the brake coaches, there is no 'recess' at the guards end on the Thompson's. I hope that this is of help.

All the best,

Market65.

So market, do you think they are Thompsons? Sorry to go on about it, I just need to do confirm things about coaches these days as I become more confused.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Is that Hunslet one of the BR ones?

Andy G

It was one of the Avenue coke and smokeless fuel plant locos. - i.e. part of the NCB.

David

• RMweb Gold

But was it Ex-BR? I just love the 'can only be driven by skinney drivers' doors!

Andy G

I don't think it was ex BR.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the Midland Line. I particularly like J0844 of class 44 D1 Scafell Pike in March, 1967. A very good 'dusty' weathered finish to D1.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. Phil, I've just re-examined the photo' J054. The CL has it's first-class compartments showing on 'this' side, which would be the other way round if it was a Gresley coach. On establishing that the CL is a Thompson, then it is easy to check the quarter light depths of the other coaches. They are all the same depth, and therefore are Thompson as well. In addition, the roof vents on the CL are 'staggered' as they would be on a Thompson CL. I hope that this will be of further help. :)

• RMweb Premium

Is that Hunslet one of the BR ones?

Andy G

No, the five Avenue locos were the first of this 204hp type, later supplied to BR. The first batch of BR locos (later class 05) were very similar to Avenue 1-5 but without the headlights.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the Midland Line. I particularly like J0844 of class 44 D1 Scafell Pike in March, 1967. A very good 'dusty' weathered finish to D1.

That's a matt varnish weathering job isn't it?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More great shots, Dave.   In C2268, what is the hoarding(?) on the verge to the right?

Bill

I'm not sure.  Below is an enlargment, it isn't very sharp, as the only really sharp part of the image is the front loco.

post-5613-0-96525700-1431247792_thumb.jpg

David

• RMweb Gold