Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A few photos from Kiveton Park on the GCR line betwen Sheffield and Worksop. The others are at Castleford.  Does it always rain there?

No. I'd suggest after looking at your superb photo's it sometimes it snowed there, but possibly only when it's not raining.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some good photo's of Kiveton Park and Castleford this evening. How the snow of '79 brings back the memories of that very cold and snowy winter. Good photo' of a 37 in C11852 at Castleford.

All the best,

Market65.

There are several locations on the northern S&C were rails are used for adding strength to the rails ,this is needed because of the many mine workings and natural holes in the ground mind you if the holes are big enough it seems that people want o go down them!

• RMweb Gold

I was there that weekend, too. The SVR had sent a convoy of three locos: 8F 8233, Collett 0-6-0 3205 and Pannier 5786. A friend and I had lit up the 8F the evening before the movement, the engine having been the subject of a massive effort to get the paintwork finished in time, although only the LH side was lettered and numbered. We followed them to Tyseley by car, where we spent the weekened looking after the 8F. I recall 6201 being there, also.

The steam ban was in force at the time and the three steam locos were - theoretically - in light steam and diesel hauled with a 25mph speed limit. The driver in charge of 8233 was a BR driver from Saltley and knew the road. He got bored at 25mph and decided to give the diesel a helping hand, and a speed of 60mph was reported before the diesel's driver resorted to the brakes. This didn't prove particularly effective as the 8F's large ejector was brought into use, so the diesel (a Class 25 from memory) had only the straight air brake to rely on. They eventually reached Tyseley, the diesel hooked off and departed with flats on all its wheels. Happy days!

Cracking yarn! And not an uncommon practice if this shot of Brian Thomas's showing 6201 being "banked" up the Lickey on another occasion is anything to go by.

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/74.jpg

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Midland line through the Peak District this evening. I really like that first one, J1638, of Monsal Dale. It is very much like viewing a model of it from a high viewpoint. Then there is an excellent shot of 47 425, 'Holbeck', at Peak Forest, in photo' C15384.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

The top (J1638) one of Monsal Dale brings back memories.  So impressed was I by the view from the train window as it went over that viaduct and on up the bank that a year or so later I went back and walked up through the dale.  Just out of shot on the right hand edge of that picture on the side of the hill opposite the railway there was a Youth Hostel (Ravenstor) and I duly hoped it would give a good view of the railway.

In fact it turned out even better as other occupants of the men's dorm decided the best way to spend the night was with the windows open listening to 8Fs and 9Fs battling their way up the bank in the moonlight - definitely a well situated YH!

• Like 7

The top (J1638) one of Monsal Dale brings back memories. 

I have it on very good authority that the scene depicted is the one that inspired the building of the MMRS 2FS layout 'Chee Tor'. Alcohol may well also have been partaken at the nearby hostelry!

• Like 4

Hi, Dave. These photo's are not so far from where I live in Beverley! Really have enjoyed seeing them, and of course things have changed over the years. In J1073, of the class 124 at Selby, August, 1967, the tracks have been reduced to two from Leeds and no loop line, and no sidings in the foreground. The lines to Doncaster are just two tracks again after the junction, not forgetting that only the platform lines remain through Selby station itself. Also no lovely 124's!

In C14621 at Ferriby, there is, interestingly, no change to the station or surroundings, only no longer is Hull and the East Riding served by class 156's, which I think were transferred  to Newcastle in c2008.

In J645 at Hessle, the bridge in the background, which is the station footbridge, is unchanged, but you have the Clive Sullivan Way on the left of the photo' and somewhere in the foreground is one of the new pedestrian footbridges. The DMU is, correctly, described as Class 111, but also has a class 104 TBSL as the third car. Finally at this location there are, again, just two tracks remaining.

In C24929, at Hull Paragon, on 22nd July, 2000, there is a reminder of three car 158's and 144's. No longer do we have three car 158's at Hull, and platform 2 is, mainly, for the use of Hull Trains London KX services.

All the best,

Market65.

Found in search as particularly interesting as I am trying to convert Class 110 to 4-car Class 104 with a TBSL !  Just discovered my bodyshell was wrong so butchered and rearranged it! 

Regards,

Steven.

You know one of these days Dave will be too busy to post any photos, and then all of us who look at this thread on a daily basis will be climbing the walls, like Heroin addicts without a fix  (possibly worse).

Thank you for all the wonderful photos, and giving us our daily fix of train addiction.

Jamie

PS. I love any photos of Castleford Railways Station with those beautiful signals in C12075. Didn't one of the preserved railways take them when BR took them down?

Edited by Jamiel

• RMweb Gold

Or go to one of Dave's other photo threads, of which this is the only one I have found so far.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/

Still it would be a hard situation to come to terms with.....

Many thanks for the comments.

My other main photo threads are:

This is a newish thread covering France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark etc (or at least it covers bits of them!):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98009-a-few-of-dave-fs-european-railway-photos-updated-19th-may-2015/

A short thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80147-dave-fs-christmas-colour-miscellany-updated-7th-january-2014/

My own black and white photos:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77924-dave-fs-own-black-and-white-photos-1960s-completed-30th-december/

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the comments.

My other main photo threads are:

This is a newish thread covering France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark etc (or at least it covers bits of them!):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98009-a-few-of-dave-fs-european-railway-photos-updated-19th-may-2015/

A short thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80147-dave-fs-christmas-colour-miscellany-updated-7th-january-2014/

My own black and white photos:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77924-dave-fs-own-black-and-white-photos-1960s-completed-30th-december/

David

This post should be "pinned" somewhere visible.

Kev.

(Luv-em.)

• RMweb Gold

This post should be "pinned" somewhere visible.

Kev.

(Luv-em.)

I've added the links to the other threads of my photos to the first post in this thread.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

More great stuff Dave

I wonder what those 5 planks are doing behind 31289 this late on ?

Phil

I've always wondered about those wagons too.  I suppose that they could have been in use for pw work.

David

Edited by DaveF

I've always wondered about those wagons too.  I suppose that they could have been in use for pw work.

David

There are a couple of possibilities; they may well have been used as spoil wagons, where they'd have served until they fell apart, or they may have been used in the seasonal rock-salt traffic from Cheshire to various destinations. There were still a few in general freight traffic that late on, but I can't think I ever saw any entire trains of them.

I have it on very good authority that the scene depicted is the one that inspired the building of the MMRS 2FS layout 'Chee Tor'. Alcohol may well also have been partaken at the nearby hostelry!

The alcohol was indeed from the local hostelry, but it was definitely partaken overlooking that view!!

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Such lovely photo's of the ECML at Cramlington that you've posted here this evening. I particularly like that first one of a class 55 on an Edinburgh to Newcastle service.

The wagons behind 31289, after thinking about them, could also be on the way for scrapping. . . I could be wrong!

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. Steven, regarding the class 104 TBSL conversion, here's a link to the railcar website, which I hope you will find of some use. http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/official-4-car.php

I suppose the 5 planks could be going for scrap, but I can't see any sign of condemned symbols on them. I realise that is not obligatory, but I would have thought some might have gained the dreaded sign.

The Highfits would possibly be still in rocksalt traffic as it was about then that they were withdrawn after the traffic ended when the then Conservative Government changed the way that Local Authorities purchased road salt.

Shortly after this the Highs were briefly  used by the Civil Engineers for spoil until they were wrecked by loading and unloading by grab!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the Derbyshire photos. I have just been rereading the Chee Tor layout article in MRJ. Still a layout with few equals. Beautiful countryside beautifully modelled. I have walked a little of the route but I believe the tunnels have opened since. I seem to rem,ember that part of the path disappeared under water alongside the river.

Jonathan