Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C7371:  37 073 was one of that unlucky batch of Thornaby locos. Prior to this incident, along with 37 074 and 37 077 (IIRC), it had already had it's original 'split-box' headcode panels & connecting doors replaced by the later flush-front, central headcode style nose ends. They seemed to be very accident-prone!

Edited by 35A

Without checking, I think 37073 was originally damaged after an unattended runaway from South Pelaw after it's brakes bled off. It was directed into a siding at Tyne Yard were it collided with a Class 31.

Mr Donnelly will be along to correct me if I've got that wrong.

P

What is the (signalling) function of the elevated position-light in C8296 (post 7194)?

Thanks,

Bill

It's an elevated Ground position light/dummy/dod, or whatever else you would like to call it. In that location most probably use for wrong direction shunt moves back through a crossover of into a loop/siding and up in the air on account of sighting and/or keeping it out of the way of passengers on the platform. Not exactly sure which as I don't know the track layout there. One other possibility is it is a Limit of Shunt position light, but it would be a very early example if it was, so it most probably isn't. But you never know on the railway??

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

It's an elevated Ground position light/dummy/dod, or whatever else you would like to call it. In that location most probably use for wrong direction shunt moves back through a crossover of into a loop/siding and up in the air on account of sighting and/or keeping it out of the way of passengers on the platform. Not exactly sure which as I don't know the track layout there. One other possibility is it is a Limit of Shunt position light, but it would be a very early example if it was, so it most probably isn't. But you never know on the railway??

Paul J.

There used to be a signal like that to bring trains off the Reading Central Goods branch at Southcote Junction. As often as not when I went there the local youths had climbed the ladder and stuck a cardboard box over the signal.

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

C7371: 37 073 was one of that unlucky batch of Thornaby locos. Prior to this incident, along with 37 074 and 37 077 (IIRC), it had already had it's original 'split-box' headcode panels & connecting doors replaced by the later flush-front, central headcode style nose ends. They seemed to be very accident-prone!

Both 37073, 37074 and 37091 had centre headcode panels at both ends after collision damage repairs. 37072 had a centre panel at one end and split boxes at the other.

37006/019/065/100 and 37102 had a flush front at one end with marker lights in place of the headcode boxes - very similar to an ex split box 37/5.

Are you sure Margate to Cannon St was 96 David?

The SEMG website has it as 91.

96 seems to be Victoria to Margate, and if we believe them then the 82 on C4870 is either Charing Cross to Ramsgate or Victoria to Sevenoaks  but via Greenwich and Bat&Ball rather than the main route via Orpington.

Before I post the photos does anyone know anything more about the position light in one of the Morpeth photos from yesterday?  I'm sure I used to know why it was there but have forgotten.

Southern Rregion for today, once again in the late 1970s - 1979 to be exact with both electrified and non electrified lines.  There's even a bit if sunshine for once at Penshurst.

attachicon.gifPenshurst Class 207 1302 Reading to Tonbridge March 79 C4359.jpg

Penshurst Class 207 1302 Reading to Tonbridge March 79 C4359

I bet if you ballasted the side of a cutting on a layout, people would slam it as unrealistic...

Edited by railsquid

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of S R photos today. Always great to see the EMU's going about their everyday work. And in C4866, you rarely, if ever, see electricity poles like those, modelled! Strange, for in the post war period, such poles will be needed on many layouts.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

96 seems to be Victoria to Margate, and if we believe them then the 82 on C4870 is either Charing Cross to Ramsgate or Victoria to Sevenoaks  but via Greenwich and Bat&Ball rather than the main route via Orpington.

91 was Waterloo to Bournemouth fast wasn't it?

82 was certainly CX to Ramsgate in the early 60s; I can remember changing into them from Dartford via the North Kent Loop trains

• RMweb Gold

82 was certainly CX to Ramsgate in the early 60s; I can remember changing into them from Dartford via the North Kent Loop trains

Many thanks for these posts.

I can't remember now which references I used to work out these trains back in 79,  usually I used one of the SEG booklets, but obviously not when I catalogued these.

Since both trains are up I think that the first one must be a Margate to Victoria and the second one is likely to be a Sevenoaks to Victoria via Bat and Ball.

David

Edited by DaveF

On the SWD it was - there were so many services to headcode the same numbers were in use on all three divisions, and some short service codes were used many more times over. The main trick was to make sure the headcodes wouldn't clash when the divisions got closer together...

Both 37073, 37074 and 37091 had centre headcode panels at both ends after collision damage repairs. 37072 had a centre panel at one end and split boxes at the other.

37006/019/065/100 and 37102 had a flush front at one end with marker lights in place of the headcode boxes - very similar to an ex split box 37/5.

37006 certainly had marker lights at one end BUT still retained the doors at both ends so not flush fronted

37006 Guide Bridge 09 August 1983

post-1161-0-83870800-1468961730.jpg

37006 Guide Bridge 09 August 1983

post-1161-0-97108400-1468961744.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Before I post the photos does anyone know anything more about the position light in one of the Morpeth photos from yesterday?  I'm sure I used to know why it was there but have forgotten.

It's an "OFF" indicator for signal 125 which is a down direction departure signal for the up platform.

• Like 2

It's an "OFF" indicator for signal 125 which is a down direction departure signal for the up platform.

Not quite an 'OFF' indicator but it was a repeater for the Dolly (GPL) at the North End of the Down platform to allow Down trains to set back in to the Up Yard!

This was how trains from Widdrington would access the Blyth & Tyne before running around to go to the Furnace Way to again run around for either West Blyth or Cambois Power Station!

From an operating perspective there was no need to have a Brake Van on the rear from Morpeth to Bedlington (up direction only).

Mark Saunders

Edit for additional info

Edited by Mark Saunders
  • Like 1

I assume that the signal on the bracket in J1318 applies to the main line, as with the point set as it is, anything obeying that signal in the siding/loop will accelerate smartly through the station building...

I know there's a ground disc signal present but that could only apply to accessing the siding.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent shots of Dent Head and Dent today. You can see that 9F is really moving in J529, and in J525 I think the unit is a standard 'yellow diamond' Derby Leightweight. I think it has the mechanical gearbox, not as in the first sets to be introduced in 1954. They had Leyland engines with Leyland Lysholm Smith torque converters - the same as the pre war ex LMS three car articulated unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J518 shows the morning Leeds City to Glasgow St Enoch train (1S49). It left Leeds City North around 10.30am but may have transferred across to departing from Leeds City South by the date shown in the caption. D34 had been re-allocated from Bristol (Bath Road) to Leeds (Holbeck) in January 1966.

• RMweb Gold

I assume that the signal on the bracket in J1318 applies to the main line, as with the point set as it is, anything obeying that signal in the siding/loop will accelerate smartly through the station building...

I know there's a ground disc signal present but that could only apply to accessing the siding.

Yes the signal does apply to the down main.

J518 shows the morning Leeds City to Glasgow St Enoch train (1S49). It left Leeds City North around 10.30am but may have transferred across to departing from Leeds City South by the date shown in the caption. D34 had been re-allocated from Bristol (Bath Road) to Leeds (Holbeck) in January 1966.

Many thanks for the information, once again I was working from Dad's notes and don't have the relevant working timetable - I think the only one I have for the S&C is October 1922.

David

• Like 1

You are correct [Just beaten to it by Dave F]. Route knowledge was a very important aspect of footplate work in semaphore days and the signal you thought might be yours might not be. Instances of Drivers reading the wrong signal and ending up in the dirt at locations/set ups as in the photo where not unknown.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

That reminded me of this image from 'Southern Electric - You are the Motorman' film on Youtube - a Spad about to occur? Look at the top of the embankment...

attachicon.gifSouthern Electric Motorman still.png

There are two signal posts in the picture: the one at danger adjacent to the track applies to the line to the right of the train.  There is another signal to the left of this which applies to the line the train is on - you can just see the white board behind it.  This signal is clear so there's no imminent SPAD.

Edited by RFS