RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The Deltic in J5556 appears to have a short nameplate, but the number is too blurry to read. I wonder if anyone can indentify which one it is?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Using a very unscientific method, it looks to me like it could be number 12. What do the Deltic ID squad think? Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern photos. In particular J5699 of a 73 hauled up parcels train. A good selection of parcels stock can be seen. Trains aren't quite like that anymore.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Also in J5699, it looks like someone's sowing potatoes next to the line!

There were still various lineside allotments then, either official or unofficial.

David

• Like 3

Had a chuckle at J5816 - mystery tour to Alfreton & Mansfield Parkway! A mystery why a railtrip would go there. But read it slowly and realised it was the return working.

I hope nobody from Alfreton or Mansfield is an RMWebber ! However Alfreton is actually the nearest rail station to the Midland Railway Butterley, with a frequent bus service between the two, so there is at least one reason to visit (or pass through anyway) Alfreton.

A final set of photos at Rotherham for the BR batch today.

attachicon.gifRotherham Masborough Class 108 Sheffield to Leeds 12th August 1977 C3490.jpg

Rotherham Masborough Class 108 Sheffield to Leeds 12th August 1977 C3490

attachicon.gifRotherham GCR MR Sheffield avoiding line in distance Oct 76 J5500.jpg

Rotherham GCR MR Sheffield avoiding line in distance Oct 76 J5500

attachicon.gifRotherham Masborough Class 08 Dec 76 J5548.jpg

Rotherham Masborough Class 08 Dec 76 J5548

attachicon.gifRotherham Masborough station south junction Dec 76 J5550.jpg

Rotherham Masborough station south junction Dec 76 J5550

attachicon.gifRotherham Masborough Class 40 up freight Dec 76 J5553.jpg

Rotherham Masborough Class 40 up freight Dec 76 J5553

David

Another nice set of photos for us to look at David. Thank you for sharing. The 40 in J5553 is 40147. A very nice shot showing the cab bulkhead nicely in the sun for colour and detail. The DMU in C3490 is a Class 114. Too many windows in the middle section between the passenger doors, (4 windows), and the half window is at the cab end. The 108 only had 3 windows in that section, and the half window was at the inner end.

Paul J.

Another nice set of photos for us to look at David. Thank you for sharing. The 40 in J5553 is 40147. A very nice shot showing the cab bulkhead nicely in the sun for colour and detail. The DMU in C3490 is a Class 114. Too many windows in the middle section between the passenger doors, (4 windows), and the half window is at the cab end. The 108 only had 3 windows in that section, and the half window was at the inner end.

Paul J.

The other give away is the top mounted light as well, don't recall 108's having those?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the NYMR photos, it's great to see the line in those earlier years of preservation. In C6479, K162005 makes a most glorious sight.

The photos of Rotherham Masborough are so evocative if an age which is long gone. The old station no longer is a station, and all trains calling at Rotherham do so at Central station.

What a cold December day it clearly was in those last three photos.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited to add that it is quite right that class 108's did not have a marker light on the top of the cab roof. They also carried the large diameter Oleo buffers in view of the 64' body length. Class 108's had ordinary diameter buffers.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all those who have pointed out that the dmu is a 114 not a 108.

I had hoped I was getting better at identifying them, but I'm not.  I'm beginning to think I never will get them right!

David

J5500 - marvellous. In fact my other half saw it from across the room and thought it was a painting.

It took me a while to work out that you must have taken the photo from Centenary Way bridge. On the right is Booths scrapyard (at least it is now), and the position of the two right-hand sidings is roughly where today's Holmes Chord takes passenger trains from Central station up to the Midland and on to Meadowhall. The two cooling towers in the distance are those right beside the M1 Tinsley viaduct that outlasted the power station by many years, demolished 2008. The Midland signal box must be Masboro S Junction. 

Photographer's position on bing maps (OS version) I reckon here, looking SW-ish towards Sheffield: https://binged.it/2iBwp2j

And NLS old OS map for comparison here: http://maps.nls.uk/view/125650735

The area in question is to the right of that sheet, Centenary Way not shown (only built 1971-75), and it might just be off the edge anyway.

Edited by eastwestdivide

About this time (1974-5) Derby Litchurch Lane was churning out large numbers of containers branded Bell, in a fetching purply colour

As was Crewe Works - BREL must have split the order between the two works.

They occasionally took outside work like this as it helped to keep the fabrication shops active between rolling stock builds.

• RMweb Gold

J5500 - marvellous. In fact my other half saw it from across the room and thought it was a painting.

It took me a while to work out that you must have taken the photo from Centenary Way bridge. On the right is Booths scrapyard (at least it is now), and the position of the two right-hand sidings is roughly where today's Holmes Chord takes passenger trains from Central station up to the Midland and on to Meadowhall. The two cooling towers in the distance are those right beside the M1 Tinsley viaduct that outlasted the power station by many years, demolished 2008. The Midland signal box must be Masboro S Junction. 

Photographer's position on bing maps (OS version) I reckon here, looking SW-ish towards Sheffield: https://binged.it/2iBwp2j

And NLS old OS map for comparison here: http://maps.nls.uk/view/125650735

The area in question is to the right of that sheet, Centenary Way not shown (only built 1971-75), and it might just be off the edge anyway.

Thanks very much for the links to the maps.

I have to come clean, it's one of Dad's photos (his have a "J" at the start of the file number, mine have a "C") and I've often wondered exactly where he took it.

My first visit there was a year or so after his and I never did track down where he took that photo, so at long last I know.

He didn't take many photos around Rotherham, I think he had to go there from time to time on business so presumably took his photos if he had a few minutes to spare during his day.

David

• RMweb Premium

Nice shots of Carlisle when it still had Goods Lines! (C7059 & C7060)*

Cheers

Keith

*EDIT I assume they were by then closed as the accident that closed them was on the 1 May 1984

Edited by melmerby