Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Martyn

Veering off topic a bit, I never visited the castle or the one at Hadliegh. When you live near something you can go and see, or do any day you never get round to doing it. How many Londoners have seen the changing of the guard, except those who were passing Buck house going form A to B at the time?

While still in the 'courting' stage of our relationship, one Sunday afternoon with no idea of what to do I suggested to my now-wife that we visit Clevedon Court (just outside the town on the Bristol Road). She said that she had never been to it, despite being born in the town 22 years previously and going past it twice a day on the bus to work...

• Like 1

ECML today around Abbotts Ripton and Finsbury Park.

The Finsbury Park photos were taken late on a very dull January afternoon.  They are included to illustrate the difficulties of photographing trains in the days of 100ASA slide film in winter - digital cameras have made life so much easier (though perhaps less challenging).

attachicon.gifAbbots Ripton Class 55 down July 77 C3390.jpg

Abbots Ripton Class 55 down July 77 C3390

David

C3390, the famed 'Deltic + 8' which Roger Ford still uses as the yardstick for train performance in his Modern Railways column.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That's great set of ECML photo's from Abbot's Ripton and Finsbury Park. The first photo' is interesting for it shows a 40 plus 8 formation. Then we get to see, in C3390, one of the Deltic plus 8 trains. There's no way a 40 could equal a Deltic even with just 8 coaches. I wonder if it was an emergency stand in for a Deltic? Or are we seeing a summer extra?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J4525 from the formation and angle of the sun was the 08:30 KX-Cleethorpes

J4538 from the formation, the nearer train is an up Cleethorpes-KX train, probably the 12:53. If that is correct the down train could be 14:20 KX-Leeds (which also looks to be 47 hauled).

C3390 from the formation and sunlight was likely to be the 11:25 KX-Harrogate. An RMB was substituting for the usual RB.

1L20 was the 14:20 KX-Leeds.

C2593 (timing from 1L20) the Cravens DMU was probably the 13:25 Hertford North-KX.

Castle Hedingham Barclay Victory and Hunslet WD190 May 79 C4568  What is going on with the enclosed cab?

Paul

I think the Barclay was ex-Chatham dockyard. Most of their Barclay locos were either built(?) or modified like that.

Adam

I think the Barclay was ex-Chatham dockyard. Most of their Barclay locos were either built(?) or modified like that.

Adam

Adam

Thanks, presumably to provide protection in a munitions works. It looks like it could be very hot to work in!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

J4525 from the formation and angle of the sun was the 08:30 KX-Cleethorpes

J4538 from the formation, the nearer train is an up Cleethorpes-KX train, probably the 12:53. If that is correct the down train could be 14:20 KX-Leeds (which also looks to be 47 hauled).

C3390 from the formation and sunlight was likely to be the 11:25 KX-Harrogate. An RMB was substituting for the usual RB.

1L20 was the 14:20 KX-Leeds.

C2593 (timing from 1L20) the Cravens DMU was probably the 13:25 Hertford North-KX.

Thanks again Mark.

Those times make sense as they fit in with when Dad and/or I would have been at those locations.

David

I'm struggling to get a good enough handle on the Brush 4 in C2592. The experimental headlight fitted below the driver's side tail light as part of experiment DL447 suggests that it's either 47 432, 47 434 or 47 523 but I can't find enough detail to identify it against any photographs of the time from elsewhere. As it's January 1976 it might be possible to identify which of the three had their headcode blinds wound to 0000 from 1st of that month and isolate one that way, seeing that your subject is showing 1L20 - but it's a long shot!

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Premium

I'm struggling to get a good enough handle on the Brush 4 in C2592. The experimental headlight fitted below the driver's side tail light as part of experiment DL447 suggests that it's either 47 432, 47 434 or 47 523 but I can't find enough detail to identify it against any photographs of the time from elsewhere. As it's January 1976 it might be possible to identify which of the three had their headcode blinds wound to 0000 from 1st of that month and isolate one that way, seeing that your subject is showing 1L20 - but it's a long shot!

47432 I think - this was taken in 1976 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0187020388000.

47434, according to this photo from 1975 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0187020441000 the headlight had already been plated over.

47523 had lost its left hand buffer beam lamp bracket - see https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4601/24539616147_822662e762_b.jpg taken in 1975, although strangely it had got it back by 1987 https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8296/7802535468_db39f2f258_b.jpg!.

C3390 - not certain but my immediate reaction was 55003 looking at the number.

47432 I think - this was taken in 1976 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0187020388000.

47434, according to this photo from 1975 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0187020441000 the headlight had already been plated over.

47523 had lost its left hand buffer beam lamp bracket - see https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4601/24539616147_822662e762_b.jpg taken in 1975, although strangely it had got it back by 1987 https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8296/7802535468_db39f2f258_b.jpg!.

C3390 - not certain but my immediate reaction was 55003 looking at the number.

Thanks, Andrew. Yes, that was the best that I've managed (so far). If I have time later I'll keep searching. I've checked my notes for that month but, sadly, no observation of any of those three locos or of 1L20.

• RMweb Gold

Is that your car dumped on the junction on C25802   or just a well timed shot.

Quick sprint for the Sprinter. :jester:

Just good luck, I've no idea whose car it was.

David

J5829 is carrying burnt lime for what is now the TATA plant at Port Talbot; I believe it was used in the Basic Oxygen steel plant, rather than in the blast furnaces. These wagons were used until a decade or so ago, being supplanted first by ex-Grainflow and other Polybulk bogie hoppers, and more recently by containers. The source of the lime changed as well, to Shap, and more recently, to  one of the quarries near Ferryhill.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a splendid set of photos of Derbyshire this evening. In the second photo, I just have a feeling that the class 101 DMU might be standing in for a failed Trans Pennine unit. It’s certainly a long journey on even a refurbished class 101 from Hull to Manchester.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a splendid set of photos of Derbyshire this evening. In the second photo, I just have a feeling that the class 101 DMU might be standing in for a failed Trans Pennine unit. It’s certainly a long journey on even a refurbished class 101 from Hull to Manchester.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Are we sure it was a Hull-Manchester, 101's were used on short workings?

Mike.

Are we sure it was a Hull-Manchester, 101's were used on short workings?

Mike.

The 101 just pre dates the use of TPs on full service over the Hope Valley. The 2car will be substituting for a 3 car Met-Camm.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I would doubt it is a replacement for a Trans Pennine set; these ran Liverpool-Hull on the LNWR route via Standedge and Huddersfield rather than the Midland Edale Valleyl ine.  I had a sister that lived in Selby for some time and remember the sets passing the back of her garden at the eastern end of the triangle; late 60s early 70s.  I agree it is a long journey for a 101, but they were appearing on Cardiff-Weymouth trains not long after this.  They had corridor connections and toilets. 

• RMweb Gold

I recall that the TP class 124s used the Standedge and the TP class 123s used the southern route from Manchester to Sheffield via Edale.

It was very rare to see a 123 through Standedge.

Kev.

More photos from Derbyshire today, taken over about thirty years.

attachicon.gifa Ambergate East junction ballast tamper April 69 J1655.jpg

Ambergate East junction ballast tamper April 69 J1655

I assume you mean Ambergate North Junction Dave. I am not aware of Ambergate having an East Junction, the next box was Crich Junction for the Butterley line. There were some sidings at Crich Junction which were used by the Civil Engineer.