Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

It even had a feature about it in a recent Rail Express, IIRC.

I moved to the USA in 1989 and during that year I tried to  remember how long it had been there. My Folks lived in Shenfield.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

...Sometimes I wasn't standing in quite the right place when the train went by.....

We've all been there!

But sometimes, if you're lucky, you get an unexpected bonus of a photo - making a virtue out of a necessity, that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photos. It’s a great selection, and I particularly like C4259, at Meadow Lane LC, with 47, 47328, on a down mineral train, in January, 1979, in the midst of that infamous winter. Such an atmospheric view.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

When was the bridge seen in C3768, from the high level lines to the down side yard taken out of use?

Rob

Sorry,

I don't now the answer to that.

Perhaps someone else does?

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photos. In the first photo’, unless I’m seeing things, the right hand track has a bit of a kink in it. I hope it did not lead to any derailments. It is interesting to see a big engine, like Evening Star, in the second photo’ working a train tender first, even though it was just a short distance. In the last photo’, your Father has captured a scene which is just oozing North Eastern Railway. It’s so good how that infrastructure survived for so long. Good that it did too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photos. In the first photo’, unless I’m seeing things, the right hand track has a bit of a kink in it. I hope it did not lead to any derailments.

Nice to know the 'real thing' can lay track like mine... :)

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know the 'real thing' can lay track like mine... :)

More likely it just needs a bit of lifting and packing!

The line which crossed the Tyne over the Scotswod bridge closed on 4th October 82 (i.e. the line in the photo).  The photo was taken a day or so before it closed, so I doubt any work had been done on the track for a while.

David

The line which crossed the Tyne over the Scotswod bridge closed on 4th October 82 (i.e. the line in the photo).  The photo was taken a day or so before it closed, so I doubt any work had been done on the track for a while.

David

I recollect travelling on it a few times in 1982; Lynne had started at TTTV in the spring, but I had a couple of projects to finish before I could move up. My recollection was that there was quite a bit of freight traffic still; coal to Stella North, bitumen to Shell (later Colas) at 'Paradise' on Scotswood Road and cement to Ribble Cement, opposite Forth Banks Goods. There were sidings serving Vickers, but I never saw anything in them.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bowes Railway photos, in County Durham, which show how good the engines and stock was on it back then.

The photos of Harrogate are truly delightful, as always, and memories are vividly brought to life of the NER of BR in the mid sixties. I like the Black Five with a snow plough in J412, and in the last photo’, the unit is another class 110, not a class 104.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Around Harrogate in 1965/6 this afternoon.

attachicon.gifCrimple Class 110 Harrogate to Bradford Aug 65 J268.jpg

Crimple Class 110 Harrogate to Bradford Aug 65 J268

attachicon.gifHarrogate B1 Harrogate to Kings X Aug 65 J245.jpg

Harrogate B1 Harrogate to Kings X Aug 65 J245

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 45 Harrogate to Kings X Jan 66 J433.jpg

Harrogate Class 45 Harrogate to Kings X Jan 66 J433  probably D117

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 5 44617 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J412.jpg

Harrogate Class 5 44617 Harrogate to Kings X Nov 65 J412

attachicon.gifHarrogate Class 104 Harrogate to York June 65 J193.jpg

Harrogate Class 104 Harrogate to York June 65 J193

David

Dave,

J412 - not 44617; no such loco.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

DMU gremlin crept in on J193, that is also a Class 110, albiet with a slight variation on SYP application compared to the eariler one.

Dave

Suspect one is an Eastern unit and the other LMR, so slight variation in works painting schemes.

• RMweb Gold

Mr CCT beat me to it on 44617. As loco has a domeless boiler does that make her one of the early build 450/451/452xx locos? 

But smashing photos none the less - that 110 unit looks like a photo from an Ian Allan annual...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

DMU gremlin crept in on J193, that is also a Class 110, albiet with a slight variation on SYP application compared to the eariler one.

Dave

Hi, Dave. I like the Bowes Railway photos, in County Durham, which show how good the engines and stock was on it back then.

The photos of Harrogate are truly delightful, as always, and memories are vividly brought to life of the NER of BR in the mid sixties. I like the Black Five with a snow plough in J412, and in the last photo’, the unit is another class 110, not a class 104.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks to both Dave and Rob for pointing out yet again that I have got a dmu wrong.  I corrected the first image cation before I posted it and never looked at the last one!

Dave,

J412 - not 44617; no such loco.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

Mr CCT beat me to it on 44617. As loco has a domeless boiler does that make her one of the early build 450/451/452xx locos? 

But smashing photos none the less - that 110 unit looks like a photo from an Ian Allan annual...

Phil

Thanks for pointing out the number impossibility.

I ought to know the Class 5 number range, I underlined a lot of them in by spotting books when I was trainspotting.  It must be old age (to be honest it is just carelessness in not checking Dad's notes, he often got numbers wrong - I suspect this was another he tried to decipher from the slide).

Edit:  I've had a look through all my Harrogate photos as well as the rest of Dad's.  This was the only time that loco was photographed.  There was another Class 5 around at the time with a snowplough but it had a different boiler and different structures attached to the footplate, so I am afraid it's identity will remain a mystery.

David

Edited by DaveF