Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Swayfield. J4124, of a Class 47, on an up working, in December, 1974, is a superb shot, in the December sun of what you have surmised is a special train. The headcode and Mkl carriages both help to confirm that.

The photo’s from around the Southern are most impressive. C3814, at Hollingbourne, with Class 414’s, 6077 and 6105, on the 30th April, 1978, is a superb photo’ with the two units well framed by the footbridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DaveF said:

SwayfieldClass56uptesttrainSept77J5818.jpg.4d3e6169a9933ab887584663495eea70.jpg

Swayfield Class 56 up test train Sept 77 J5818

Interesting train, and a photo that also belongs in the prototype for everything thread....

Appears to be a Romanian class 56 hauling 12 empty steel carriers (BAAs ?) with what I assume is the ex Pullman coach (323) that went over to RTC Derby and is in use before it received their red/blue livery as RDB975427 Wren. As it was used for acoustics testing, they must be checking out that 'grid' scream, but not flat out and fully loaded....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is D6746 at March on 8th July 1968.  Pretty conclusive I think!

The palvan just beyond the water crane is one built for the Izal traffic, but possibly more general use by 1968.

Swayfield Class 56 up test train Sept 77 J5818

Yes what are those wagons? Bogied, but the high ends and the substantial side stanchions are unlike either BAA or BBA. 

Could they be BOV, conversions of Bogie Bolster C https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bovpipe  but I am not convinced!

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes what are those wagons?

With a 56, wouldn’t they have to be air-braked in that formation?

For BBAs, could it be a trick of the sharp angle of the photo, making the side stanchions of BBAs look more substantial?

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

With a 56, wouldn’t they have to be air-braked in that formation?

For BBAs, could it be a trick of the sharp angle of the photo, making the side stanchions of BBAs look more substantial?

Yes OK, will go with BBA.

Paul

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Interesting train, and a photo that also belongs in the prototype for everything thread....

Appears to be a Romanian class 56 hauling 12 empty steel carriers (BAAs ?) with what I assume is the ex Pullman coach (323) that went over to RTC Derby and is in use before it received their red/blue livery as RDB975427 Wren. As it was used for acoustics testing, they must be checking out that 'grid' scream, but not flat out and fully loaded....

This was the standard test train for the Romanian class 56s. It ran to Peterborough (arriving mid-morning), set back into the West Yard, then returned north at around lunchtime, via the fly-ash loop at Fletton - to avoid having to remarshal the ex-Pullman vehicle. I have a number of photographs of several of 56 001 to 56 015, on the up working, but I never got one of the return working - probably because, at the age of 18, lunch was more appealing 😁. By the time of David's photograph I would have been at work, all day, so I missed the later locos of the batch.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

StirlingClass27upAug73J3337.jpg.b04e4727ee2c7a56f9d6991a59e5f7b6.jpg

Stirling Class 27 up Aug 73 J3337  seen from the castle

Griddle car in the formation. 

IIRC there were two coaching diagrams, one with a Griddle and the other with an RB. These worked a Glasgow QS-Inverness and a GQS-Aberdeen (and returns) on alternate days. 

Have seen similar trains hauled by a 37 but don't know if the 27 was just a stand-in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, keefer said:

Griddle car in the formation. 

IIRC there were two coaching diagrams, one with a Griddle and the other with an RB. These worked a Glasgow QS-Inverness and a GQS-Aberdeen (and returns) on alternate days. 

Have seen similar trains hauled by a 37 but don't know if the 27 was just a stand-in.

I think there are two trains there. You can see the rear of the Down train in front of the second coach of the Up train.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think there are two trains there. You can see the rear of the Down train in front of the second coach of the Up train.

I've just had a close look at the Stirling photo, you are right it does have two trains.  I'd never noticed before.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Grassington in 1965

GrassingtonBRClass4MT75039Aug65J289.jpg.dc6f0d111729bf27f347d1991ef159e1.jpg

the Grassington pics are wonderful, talk about run down in every way possible, location and loco! 

the only remaining point of reference in the photos is the building on the other side of the road 

IMG_5774.jpeg.a01616f4a41dee6ef28383fdbdea914e.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a fantastic set of photo’s from Scotland. C211, at Stranraer harbour, with a Class 27, in April, 1970, is a fascinating study, and the 27 seems very small compared with the size of the harbour.

The photo’s of Grassington in 1965,1966 and 1967 along with Cracoe in 1973, are a superb selection. J289, at Grassington, with BR Class 4MT, 75039, in August, 1965, is a beautifully composed photo’, and shows some cleaning had taken place on the locomotive. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a great selection of photo’s at Lakeside station, on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, in August, 1975. The first photo’ of Lakeside station from Gunners Howe is a simply stunning scene and it is easy to see why people love the Lake District. 

The photo’s at Chaloner’s Whin Junction, York, in 1966, and 1967, are a excellent set, and full of nostalgia. The last photo’ of a Class 101 unit on a  Leeds to Scarborough service, in March, 1967, shows the unit to be formed as follows:

A class 101/1 DMCL, a class 101 TSL, with just two cream lines, a class 104 TBSL, and the other class 101/1 DMCL. Coupled up is a two car class 108, DTCL + DMBS.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

J656 - interesting to see another shot of "Pinza" with the horns mounted, experimentally, in the top corners of the nose. This must be the third or fourth that I've seen in this thread, over the years - I think that I'd only ever seen one image of D9007, in that state, before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning David 

That last picture is absolutely stunning.  When did Derwenthaugh close?

Looking at the TY signal I assume it was close to low fell and probably had all traces removed by the garden festival