Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

The bloke with the broom looks like he has just come out of the army with the beret and shirt also the broom does not look like it had much use it looks brand new!  Permanent way gangs were very different then even had brand new shovels and a wooden platform no money spent on the station ,I once coaught a train there after visiting Chatsworth on Saturday merrymaker trip and the station man asked us all to go into the waiting room.Then a football excursion came through and light bulbs a fire extinguisher were thrown onto the platform seen in the coaches at least four fights going on what a load of idiots.

I also used to catch the train from Manchester around 1970 on Sunday evenings going back to Bristol uni. I found that changing at Derby, I had to stand to Birmingham, but changing at Chesterfield I only had to stand to Derby.

So the Chesterfield photos seem very familiar!

The bloke with the broom looks like he has just come out of the army with the beret and shirt also the broom does not look like it had much use it looks brand new!  Permanent way gangs were very different then even had brand new shovels and a wooden platform no money spent on the station ,I once coaught a train there after visiting Chatsworth on Saturday merrymaker trip and the station man asked us all to go into the waiting room.Then a football excursion came through and light bulbs a fire extinguisher were thrown onto the platform seen in the coaches at least four fights going on what a load of idiots.

And no doubt every single bit of toilet paper was streaming from the windows - always seemed to be par for the course for a footex in the '70s & '80s! :warning:

• RMweb Gold

I think it was because the sliding quarterlights and other fittings were standard Mk1. There seemed to be certain engine speeds, especially when idling, that would resonate with the fittings. The trailer cars were fine in my experience and would be my choice for finding a seat.

No trailer cars on the Preston - Colne power twins. Horrible things. Mnd you, I do have a Bachmann version..........

That 08 wrong line* at chesterfield would have been on a trip working from tinsley to the old chesterfield marketplace branch, retained for a factory. There is still the bridge in place over the chesterfield bypass for this line, although the factory is long gone. The 08 would have come off the slow old road at the junction, and after passing through the station would have used the points next to where the old warehouse was (now demolished) just past the end of the platforms.

*although technically it isn't a wrong line move as the platform is bi directionally signalled for using the siding and for turning round terminating trains. The direct Sheffield to York train that ran 3 times a day used to be extended to terminate at chesterfield so as to give dronfield a service in the middle of the day and used to use platform 1 to change ends. now there is the hourly Nottingham to leeds service, dronfield has a much better service than before,

Edited to add, looking at google earth, there is now a new platform face on the slow lines, which according to realtime trains is used by 1 train that terminates and starts from chesterfield, and the old south facing bays have been filled in. Also, the branch now has a set of buffers fitted just after the goods run round loop and although the 2 bridges are still there over the roads, a new road has cut through the embankment between them.

Edited by cheesysmith
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That 08 wrong line* at chesterfield would have been on a trip working from tinsley to the old chesterfield marketplace branch, retained for a factory. There is still the bridge in place over the chesterfield bypass for this line, although the factory is long gone. The 08 would have come off the slow old road at the junction, and after passing through the station would have used the points next to where the old warehouse was (now demolished) just past the end of the platforms.

*although technically it isn't a wrong line move as the platform is bi directionally signalled for using the siding and for turning round terminating trains. The direct Sheffield to York train that ran 3 times a day used to be extended to terminate at chesterfield so as to give dronfield a service in the middle of the day and used to use platform 1 to change ends. now there is the hourly Nottingham to leeds service, dronfield has a much better service than before,

Edited to add, looking at google earth, there is now a new platform face on the slow lines, which according to realtime trains is used by 1 train that terminates and starts from chesterfield, and the old south facing bays have been filled in. Also, the branch now has a set of buffers fitted just after the goods run round loop and although the 2 bridges are still there over the roads, a new road has cut through the embankment between them.

The shunter is on the Barrow Hill to Brampton,(not on the Market Place branch incidentally, there was no connection between the LD&ECR and the Midland until Duckmanton), daily trip. This shunted Armytyges scrapyard, Chesterfield wagonworks, both on the old GC, and then Chesterfield goods yard and Brampton goods, crossing over on the junction to the north of thestation and running wrong line into the yard.

Mike.

Edit due to geographical incompetence;

Arkwright not Duckmanton.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Hi,Dave. Excellent photo's from Darlington today. That one of the class 101 DMU at Shildon shows how they could get covered in brake dust etc. Perfect for weathering.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I thought that it was a model weathered by Hornby ...........

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The shunter is on the Barrow Hill to Brampton,(not on the Market Place branch incidentally, there was no connection between the LD&ECR and the Midland until Duckmanton), daily trip. This shunted Armytyges scrapyard, Chesterfield wagonworks, both on the old GC, and then Chesterfield goods yard and Brampton goods, crossing over on the junction to the north of thestation and running wrong line into the yard.

Mike.

Edit due to geographical incompetence;

Arkwright not Duckmanton.

The branchline wasn't to the LD&ECR, it was, as I understand it, an industrial line which served various premises the first of which was Bryan Donkin engineers (were they the same ones used to make gas meters I believe?). It then continued roughly in the area now occupied by Ravenside retail park alongside the  A619, serving several other properties I believe. Doing this from memory having read something about it somewhere, it terminated possibly at a brewery, the gateway to which is, or was still in place fairly recently in the vicinity of WD models.

I believe this is the gateway:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//Baslow+Rd,+Holymoorside,+Chesterfield,+Derbyshire+S42/@53.235656,-1.438098,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-rQ7sp32t_po%2FVODCBB2oHkI%2FAAAAAAABhAI%2FQofX4C0wPNI!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-rQ7sp32t_po%2FVODCBB2oHkI%2FAAAAAAABhAI%2FQofX4C0wPNI%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i4000!8i3000!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x487985dc26c69e31:0xd60c3f9f0c5187c9!2m2!1d-1.4909894!2d53.2302791

Edit;

looking at the things on the surrounding fancy ironwork, I reckon it's got to have a railway connection!

Edited by great central

Unbelievable the state of the 101 in C6926, post number 5630, posted 11.59 on Thursday 28/1/16 weather, westerly veering force 4-5. Moderate or good. 

(Hopefully that's thorough enough after my telling off the last time I posted on this thread...)

I'd fully expect to see that listed on a well known auction site as 'pro-weathered' for some exorbitant price!

Thank you, as ever, for finding the time to post more of your images Dave.

Is the wrong line 08 working in C409 not the same working as was discussed in the 16 ton mineral thread in relation the this pic?

https://flic.kr/p/dfy5x3

From TI in Chesterfield I believe?

P

Ere Mike. That building in Daves picture C7799. That's were I got stuck atop of the Presflo trying doing you a favour. No worries though,  time whilst stranded up there hoping someone would effect a rescue wasn't wasted. I took some photies.

post-508-0-94099500-1454031902.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about 1985, far too recent for me! Probably the same working though, although it would depend on what was still open for it to trip to.

Still awaiting cemflo pics!!

Mike.

Edited to remove sausage finger double post.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

Re the 08 at Chesterfield, during my first East Midlands Ranger in August 1976, I recall regularly seeing an 08 at Chesterfield Goods in the morning. Also, the earliest copy of 'Shunter Duties' I have, 1979, shows a Barrow Hill Class 08 duty working trips between Barrow Hill and Chesterfield Goods.

The branchline wasn't to the LD&ECR, it was, as I understand it, an industrial line which served various premises the first of which was Bryan Donkin engineers (were they the same ones used to make gas meters I believe?). It then continued roughly in the area now occupied by Ravenside retail park alongside the  A619, serving several other properties I believe. Doing this from memory having read something about it somewhere, it terminated possibly at a brewery, the gateway to which is, or was still in place fairly recently in the vicinity of WD models.

I believe this is the gateway:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir//Baslow+Rd,+Holymoorside,+Chesterfield,+Derbyshire+S42/@53.235656,-1.438098,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-rQ7sp32t_po%2FVODCBB2oHkI%2FAAAAAAABhAI%2FQofX4C0wPNI!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-rQ7sp32t_po%2FVODCBB2oHkI%2FAAAAAAABhAI%2FQofX4C0wPNI%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i4000!8i3000!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x487985dc26c69e31:0xd60c3f9f0c5187c9!2m2!1d-1.4909894!2d53.2302791

Edit;

looking at the things on the surrounding fancy ironwork, I reckon it's got to have a railway connection!

If this link works, it ought to show the branch as it was at the end of the 19th century, and diverged to serve two collieries as well as various other industrial sites.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.2333&lon=-1.4257&layers=6&right=BingHyb

• Like 1

I wonder where the iron ore wagons were going, and coming from?

I had assumed they only went from an ore terminal to blast furnaces? As far as I'm aware, there were never any from Immingham ore terminal that went west of the works in Scunthorpe.

C3452 is an interesting train. Maybe someone with the relevant CWN can assist?

Three second class coaches, two catering vehicles and two first class, with what is probably a brake first (can't see the detail) bringing up the rear.

Is this a SuO working?

Edited, to add obviously not as 11th Aug 1977 was a Thursday.

Edited by jonny777

It is one of the 8-coach sets used on the fastest King Cross to Newcastle, Leeds, Bradford & Harrogate business services. Formation was 3TSO, RB, RU, 2FO, BFK although in the photo there is an RMB substituting for a non-available RB. First class had meal at seat service in the 2FO's hence the 2 catering cars to service the high demand. The most obvious candidate in the photo I guess would be the 11:25 KX-Leeds/Harrogate.

• Like 1

1N12 was the 13:00 KX-Newcastle

1E05 was the 10:00 Edinburgh-KX, the up Flying Scotsman

1A22 was the 11:00 Newcastle-KX

1A20 was the 11:10SO Bradford/11:42SO Leeds-KX

1N13 was the summer dated 10:15SO KX-Newcastle

The October 1970 sequence of 3 up trains seems odd as you would expect the Leeds train first, then the Newcastle and finally the Flying Scotsman. Maybe there was late running?