Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What terrific photo's of 'everyday' trains here. Two which I have particularly noticed are J0918, Steeton and Silsden, June, '67, with Black 5 44778 and an 8F. I was always told that the nickname for 8F, in East Yorkshire, was 'Black 8'. Not sure of its origins.

The photo' J651, at Kildwick, September, 1966, of a Morecambe to Leeds DMU, has a '108' DTCL, followed by a '111' Rolls-Royce(the different exhaust pipes are just visible, along with the larger radiators) DMBS, then a twin '104', with a DTCL leading.

Really enjoying all of these remarkable photo's, and please do keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

J409 - the Peak and the Pram !

That chassis could make a real good 'bogie' (Cardiff phrase) or 'gambo' (Valleys term).

Keep 'em coming Dave.

Brian R

A tea box on top and you have a excellent cart.......in Bedford we didn't have a silly name as far as I can recall.

Start at the junction with Roundmead and Meadway, speed would be picking up when you needed to turn into Barn Hill. You needed to turn quickly as you reached the bottom of Barn Hill into The Boundary or you shot across the road into Mrs Smart's garden or worse Mrs Cox's. :O :o :O :o :nono:

• Like 1

A tea box on top and you have a excellent cart.......in Bedford we didn't have a silly name as far as I can recall.

Start at the junction with Roundmead and Meadway, speed would be picking up when you needed to turn into Barn Hill. You needed to turn quickly as you reached the bottom of Barn Hill into The Boundary or you shot across the road into Mrs Smart's garden or worse Mrs Cox's. :O :o :O :o :nono:

Only those with foresight converted pram wheels into a 'bogie'

The plebs amongst us had to make do with an old 'Beano Annual' across a roller skate.................

Brian R

• Like 4

Starting at Keighley we'll travel a short distance in the direction of Leeds and take photos of whatever happens to turn up.  They seem to be quite ordinary everyday trains once again.

attachicon.gifa Keighley Class 101 E56052 Leeds to Keighley Oct 76 J5488.jpg

Keighley Class 101 E56052 Leeds to Keighley Oct 76 J5488

attachicon.gifa Keighley Class 101 Morecambe to Leeds Oct 76 J5490.jpg

Keighley Class 101 Morecambe to Leeds Oct 76 J5490

This one has bars on the passenger door windows.

attachicon.gifb Steeton and Silsden Class 45 down Thames Clyde St Pancras to Glasgow Oct 65 J409.jpg

Steeton and Silsden Class 45 down Thames Clyde St Pancras to Glasgow Oct 65 J409

attachicon.gifb Steeton and Silsden LMS Class 5 44778 and LMS 8F up oil June 67 J0918.jpg

Steeton and Silsden LMS Class 5 44778 and LMS 8F up oil June 67 J0918

attachicon.gifc Kildwick Class 108 Morecambe to Leeds Sept 66 J651.jpg

Kildwick Class 108 Morecambe to Leeds Sept 66 J651

David

That's an interesting 'box at Kildwick. Looks like a Midland railway one thats had a re-build with a gable roof instead of a hipped one. Looks a bit unusual anyway!

JF

• RMweb Gold

Cracking shot of the Thames - Clyde there Dave.... what happened to the top half of that pram I wonder....?

We used to take the bodies off prams and build a wooden box onto the remaining parts - as per the picture - hey presto, one go-kart !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's an interesting 'box at Kildwick. Looks like a Midland railway one thats had a re-build with a gable roof instead of a hipped one. Looks a bit unusual anyway!

JF

I have a feeling it was an LMS provided one** - hence the non standard bits.

** But my memory may be playing tricks.

There was a certain "quality" about EE diesels in BR green livery.

I know the corporate blue enthusiasts disagree, but I thought all over green (or the two/tone equivalent) with the old BR symbol and a small yellow panel, looked very good on most classes of 1960s diesels. Maybe it is because I grew up with them painted  that  way?

With the EE Type 3s and 4s in particular, the green/small yellow panel really suited them (in my opinion). Whether EE used a better quality paint or had a better application process I don't know, but these two types always seemed to have a certain "sheen" about their bodywork that BR-built Peaks and Type 2s never had .

Hated full yellow ends on green diesels though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great to see The Stray, Harrogate. Yes, the EE loco's in green do have a certain appeal about them. I remember a class 37 on a York to Hull via Market Weighton train back in the summer '64, which looked really good in its green livery, as does D6733 in photo' J411. Please keep these photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

We used to take the bodies off prams and build a wooden box onto the remaining parts - as per the picture - hey presto, one go-kart !

Four pram wheels - rear two fixed, front two swivel to steer. Fixed to an old railway sleeper - very strong.  Didn't think about luxuries like brakes.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Exceptional photo's this evening. NER hopper wagons and class 14's. A wonderful combination. I've examples of both on my layout. Photo' C5425, Lynemouth to Ashington, June, 1981, is an incredibly atmospheric photo', and I also like C5897, Ashington Sidings, December, 1982 - such a collection of wagons here. Please keep these wonderful photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

What a variety of wagons in C5897 - the whole span of coal hoppers, almost - from wooden to air braked!

Hi all,

Agreed - walking round Ashington could be like a Wagonphiles best dream!

Wagons ranged from ex NE hoppers to modern HEA hoppers with a wide variety spanning the ages between these wagon designs.

How many varieties of the ubiquitous 16t Mineral Wagon would you want to see? Nearly everything that had either bottom or end doors including ex LNER, ex LMS and ex MOD ones!

Still loads of ex PO wooden bodied wagons as well.

Such things are memories, things to be shared.....

Just a shame I only had an Instamatic 126 camera at the time!

Thanks

• Like 1