Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Enjoying your photos, David. Especially the LTS and Great Eastern. 

Any remote chance you might have photos taken between Ilford and Manor Park; my old spotting location. :) 

Best. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good to see the Great Eastern. I like the Stratford 47, even if it is a little grubby looking! Is that a 'portion' that the class 37 is hauling at Manningtree South in May '75, I wonder? Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Enjoying your photos, David. Especially the LTS and Great Eastern. 

Any remote chance you might have photos taken between Ilford and Manor Park; my old spotting location. :)

Best. Andy

I can't see any in my Indexes.  I think the nearest would be Stratford to the east and a few at Harold Wood area to the west.  I usually avoided the "built up" bits when I could.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good to see the Great Eastern. I like the Stratford 47, even if it is a little grubby looking! Is that a 'portion' that the class 37 is hauling at Manningtree South in May '75, I wonder? Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I do wonder that, both Dad and I took a photo of it so it must have been one evening when we had met up for a meal (he worked in Ipswich for a while when I was living in Basildon).

David

... Is that a 'portion' that the class 37 is hauling at Manningtree South in May '75, I wonder? ...

There were such things as relief boat trains, at least in about 1981, when I caught the relief from Liv St-Harwich, a 37 and 4-5 Mk1s. Could be one of those?? Although I don't know the location well enough to say if that photo's on the branch or not.

• RMweb Premium

There were such things as relief boat trains, at least in about 1981, when I caught the relief from Liv St-Harwich, a 37 and 4-5 Mk1s. Could be one of those?? Although I don't know the location well enough to say if that photo's on the branch or not.

Hi

There were also a weekly train taking disabled people and their carers on holiday to the Shaftesbury Society at Dovercourt, normally these would be a couple of coaches and a full brake for the wheelchair users, may be this one of these workings.  There is a photo of a Shaftesbury Society train in Dr Ian Allen's "Diesels in East Anglia".

• RMweb Gold

It's on the main line heading south from Ipswich.

David

• RMweb Gold

A few I took at lunchtime today, more older ones to come this evening.

I happened to be in Morpeth and called in at the station on the way home.  The 142 was the service from Newcastle to Morpeth and back, roughly hourly.  

post-5613-0-71139600-1405433183_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 91107 down

post-5613-0-89601000-1405433189_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 142 026 Newcastle to Morpeth  

post-5613-0-43877200-1405433196_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 142 026 ecs to sidings

post-5613-0-74276900-1405433202_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 142026 ecs from sidings

post-5613-0-94397900-1405433207_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 142026 Morpeth to Newcastle

post-5613-0-05734500-1405433214_thumb.jpg

Morpeth 221 down

David

• Like 12

Wrong side of the Tyne, pet..

Pedant and trivia mode ON:

Only if you're relating to the car park. Some Get Carter scenes were shot in Manors station. Specifically the Subway entrance opposite the "Power House".

In the railway arches that lies directly under the first car in the DMU set, a "baddie" took his last breath in the 1960 film "Payroll".

Pedant and trivia mode OFF:

IIRC, the red-brick building behind the 47 was the offices above/next-to the power station for the former tramway system; by the time we moved up there in 1982, the downstairs bit was some sort of Corporation depot. 

Became "Generator" Night Club. Yee haa...

Surprised Dave never linked to Mr Bracks 1929 aerials of the same spot.

https://flic.kr/p/b2BkqF

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The photo's of Toton are very good. I particularly like the first three, for they are useful from a weathering point of view. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

How can you tell?  That black patch on the end?

The black patch on the end was for the person uncoupling the portions (cuts) for hump-shunting to put the siding number on for the hump controller. The hump controller sat in that building to the left of the picture; the very building, in fact, in which that was explained to me when visiting Toton Yard during the Easter holidays in 1972. Lots of merchandise wagons had a small plywood panel on the RHS of the end for the same reason.

I wasn't aware any 16-tonners had cleats for attaching sheets to; you learn something every day, don't you?

I wasn't aware any 16-tonners had cleats for attaching sheets to; you learn something every day, don't you?

I think it was a batch of 100. Must go and find my reference.

P