Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

Thanks for Braintree branch photos. I use to live beside the line in Witham, sadly it was after it was electrocuted. I do recall see the DMUs waiting at Witham when I travelled to Ipswich and Colchester.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for the photo's of the Braintree branch. Some very good views, and regarding the DMU with the tail lamp on the front, there is a photo' of a Cravens unit at Market Weighton, 27th November, 1965, on one of the last trains to run over that line, with a tail lamp on it's cab front. It is found in the book ''Railways Of East Yorkshire, Volume One'' by Martin Bairstow.

Anyway, thanks for this evenings photo's, and please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I remember when 45022 was 60. It kept turning up at Skipton on various passenger trips on the Settle & Carlisle. Super photos, thanks Dave.

You and me alike .

But the times i would always see D60 was down in Paignton, on our summer holidays.

And the old fella playing bloody hell, that they would send down "our" engines,

But they won`t let us come down all this way.

(Not like an Holbeck driver to moan) 

• Like 2

Essex again this evening with a few photos taken on the Braintree branch.  For some reason, now lost in the mists of time, I only visited it once when it when it had dmus and only took one photo, at Braintree after it was electrified.  I need a Tardis!

In those days Essex could have snow in April.

The destination blinds, "head" and tail lamps are worthy of close inspection.

attachicon.gifp Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree note destination DEPOT April 75 C1962.jpg

Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree note destination DEPOT April 75 C1962

attachicon.gifp Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree April 75 C1963.jpg

Cressing dmu Witham to Braintree April 75 C1963

attachicon.gifn White Notley dmu Braintree to Witham Destination Woolwich tail lamp at front April 75 C1964.jpg

White Notley  dmu Braintree to Witham Destination Woolwich tail lamp at front April 75 C1964

attachicon.gifn White Notley Braintree to Witham April 75 C1965.jpg

White Notley  Braintree to Witham April 75 C1965

David

attachicon.gifq Braintree Station May 79 C4569.jpg

Braintree Station May 79 C4569

Essex can still have snow in April!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of track relaying at Laindon in March, 1978. A good view of part of a Shark in photo' C3726 with 47 120. Please keep the photo's  coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Lovely shots at Laindon all those pw types In braces caps blue overalls not an orange coat or hard hat in shot what a difference yet all the work got done without any fuss or lots of h&s  ,liked the 31 shots good locos best seen in overall blue.Judging by the look of the station the tag "misery line " was justified all in need of a thorough rebuild,I watched dvd of Southend to London via Tilbury in in the late ninties what a state the whole area had got into,rundown stations,and general grot everywhere.Good to see photos of the LT&SR more please.

Dave! You spoil us with all these wonderful slices of history, truly addictive stuff.

Out of interest, the van with the yellow ends and windows in front of the brake, can someone enlighten me as to it's type? I'm presuming it's rigging for the crane, with the other, flat truck as the jib-runner?

I'm gleaning as much late 70's nostalgia as poss for my loft project...

TTFN,

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Dave! You spoil us with all these wonderful slices of history, truly addictive stuff.

Out of interest, the van with the yellow ends and windows in front of the brake, can someone enlighten me as to it's type? I'm presuming it's rigging for the crane, with the other, flat truck as the jib-runner?

I'm gleaning as much late 70's nostalgia as poss for my loft project...

TTFN,

Ben

I may well be wrong but it looks a bit like an ex GWR Toad brake van.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Just spent awhile updating with this thread.

An excellent selection of photos and it's great to see that you're not concentrating on the "money shot" of loco hauled stuff. Also good to see that you're not just concentrating on the older shots and throwing a in a few of the current scene.

Keep 'em coming.

Chees,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Just spent awhile updating with this thread.

An excellent selection of photos and it's great to see that you're not concentrating on the "money shot" of loco hauled stuff. Also good to see that you're not just concentrating on the older shots and throwing a in a few of the current scene.

Keep 'em coming.

Chees,

Mick

Mick,

Thanks very much for the comment.  I've always taken photos of anything that came along, within the constraints of money available for film, Dad was the same.  Hence the mix.  Having around 40,000 slide scans covering up to 2003 (railways) does help too!  I've no idea how many digital photos I have (August 2003 on), but it's a lot.

I've always liked small engines, dmus etc and infrastructure although when I was younger I also spent a lot of time looking at big locos in the Grantham area!

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very atmospheric photo's of Nottingham Midland this evening. In the first one, with Black 5, 44906 and class 2 78021, April, 1963, I'm sure on the line next to 78021 the carriages are a set of 'Porthole' carriages. On J1509, with 47 D1533, December, 1968, there is a great view of steam coming from the class 45 worked train. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I may well be wrong but it looks a bit like an ex GWR Toad brake van.

David

Cheers, I had wondered about that, but not being able to see the "mouth" of the Toad wasn't sure. Gives me an excuse to paint up and old ebay one methinks...

TTFN

Ben

I think I may be in danger of overdosing on nostalgia... ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, thanks for posting these pictures, which are fascinating - please keep 'em coming!

I just wondered whether the DMU's destination blind in C3486 actually read 'Yarmouth'?  I say that as it looks like a Norwich Division unit, with a set number on a yellow label inside the windscreen.  Not what you'd expect to see at Masboro', but they could get to Sheffield (or Doncaster) on the services from various points in East Anglia via the GN&GE Joint line.  Also it appears to be the last entry on the blind alphabetically as it is followed by a blank - possibly the driver intended to display the blank as he couldn't find a suitable destination for his train on the 'foreign' unit's blind?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, thanks for posting these pictures, which are fascinating - please keep 'em coming!

I just wondered whether the DMU's destination blind in C3486 actually read 'Yarmouth'?  I say that as it looks like a Norwich Division unit, with a set number on a yellow label inside the windscreen.  Not what you'd expect to see at Masboro', but they could get to Sheffield (or Doncaster) on the services from various points in East Anglia via the GN&GE Joint line.  Also it appears to be the last entry on the blind alphabetically as it is followed by a blank - possibly the driver intended to display the blank as he couldn't find a suitable destination for his train on the 'foreign' unit's blind?

Thanks for that, it makes a lot more sense than Barmouth.

David

• Like 1

As others have said the van is an ex GWR Toad converted for the use of the crane crew. I was invited into one once, there was a bunk bed, table and small cooker. All very cosy but not many folks would tolerate it nowadays.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• RMweb Gold

It's time for a Sunday afternoon visit to a preservation site.  This week it's Bressingham in 1972 and 1973 with some fairly rarely photographed items.

post-5613-0-65955000-1406472210_thumb.jpg

Bressingham Orenestein and Koppel Brunhilde Aug 72 J3077

post-5613-0-31881900-1406472190_thumb.jpg

Bressingham Garratt William Francis Aug 72 J3079

post-5613-0-45286800-1406472214_thumb.jpg

Bressingham Sentinel Joyce SE Gas Board   Neilson Beckton 0-4-0ST beyond Aug 72 J3080

post-5613-0-50882100-1406472201_thumb.jpg

Bressingham LT&SR 80 Thundersley Aug 72 J3085

post-5613-0-68115000-1406472195_thumb.jpg

Bressingham Hudswell Clarke ex Penrhyn Bronllwyd Aug 72 C1110

post-5613-0-31529000-1406472206_thumb.jpg

Bressingham Manning Wardle No4 Solomon ex Samuel Williams Wharf Ltd August 1973 J3367

Back to BR for a batch later today.

David

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good photo's today. Great to see the Sentinel at Bressingham, and a good photo' of a class 101 DMU at the front of a Hull bound Trans-Pennine service in photo' C613, 22nd May, 1971. The class 104 unit in photo' C11687 is looking a bit care-worn! Excellent photo's and please keep them coming.

All the best,

Market65.