Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hello.

Intrigued by picture C12015 of the Sprinter (150 112) and HST.

Perhaps it is the perspective, but they look very close to each other possibly even touching. AFAIK they can't couple up. Wonder if there is a story behind that picture?

Excellent thread, BTW. One of those that I look for updates to each evening :-) Well worth the effort you are making to scan and upload the images.

Thank you.

Sights like that were not unusual at Nottingham, both then and earlier.

The HST will have been a terminating working (probably) from London and will be preparing to return.  The 150 will have arrived from the east on a service from Grantham or Lincoln and again will be waiting to return or the 150 may have been going to form a service to Derby after the HST has left.

I have forgotten how the signalling worked to enable this, but I remember that when I used the staion regularly in the late60s/early 70s there were signals about half way along the platforms.  I also think that the platforms were actually numbered as 1A and 1B etc.

I am sure there are others here who can give much more detail.

David

Edited by DaveF

Not just at Nottingham; it was a common occurrence at Temple Meads in BR days.

The local from Weston would draw up to the HST waiting to depart for Paddington, and for through passengers it was just a short walk along the platform:-

post-4474-0-26905300-1411042822_thumb.jpg

Now, in the private era, the local (usually from Taunton these days) will arrive on a random low numbered platform such as 5, and the Paddington service invariably leaves from platform 15.  I think it is called progress.

EDITED: to compensate for my dyslexic keyboard.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 6

Sights like that were not unusual at Nottingham, both then and earlier.

The HST will have been a terminating working (probably) from London and will be preparing to return.  The 150 will have arrived from the east on a service from Grantham or Lincoln and again will be waiting to return or the 150 may have been going to form a service to Derby after the HST has left.

I have forgotten how the signalling worked to enable this, but I remember that when I used the staion regularly in the late60s/early 70s there were signals about half way along the platforms.  I also think that the platforms were actually numbered as 1A and 1B etc.

I am sure there are others here who can give much more detail.

David

All the the through platforms at Nottingham were 'permissive' after the re-signalling when Trent power box took over. This means that a second or even third train can be brought into the same platform under caution, the driver being informed by the position light signal (locally known as cats eyes) that there is already a train in the platform and must be prepared to stop before he reaches it. The HST and 150 are at the erstwhile platform 5, now platform 6 since the 'modernisation' and re-signalling last year, I doubt that you could fit both in there now.  It was both permissive and bi-directional, unlike platform 6 to the left (now P7) which couldn't be easily reached from the west, and you couldn't depart east except into the depot. Thinking about it, the depot woudln't have been there then and I'm not sure the platform was in use either. It was re-instated originally as a 'football platform' I believe, then brought into full use later. There used to be a large steel fence around that platform with a pathway leading direct out onto the road to keep the football crowds away from the main station.

Since last years modernisation the through roads have been taken out, a new platform 4 created by building the east end of the old P4 out to meet one of the through roads, and the rest of P4 now becoming a west facing bay with capacity for 6 coaches which is now P5!  Confused?

The through platforms are now divided into A, B and C sections, with 4 and 5 only having A and B sections.

As for getting trains close together,we have the last Skegness service (a two car 156 at18.45) leaving from platform 1C. Before it leaves a 10 car Meridian from London terminates behind it. Also at the start of service in the mornings all the units are lined up along the platforms usually little more than 6 inches apart.

Scotland this evening with a glimpse of Portobello and a few photos of Leith with freight trains.

attachicon.giff Portobello 37226 up cars to Leith to Millerhill to run round 11th Aug 87 C8928.jpg

Portobello 37226 up cars to Leith going to Millerhill to run round 11th Aug 87 C8928

attachicon.gifh Leith 47303 note livery and 08761 11th Aug 87 C8931.jpg

Leith 47303 note livery and 08761 11th Aug 87 C8931

attachicon.gifh Leith 37043 ICI tanks 11th Aug 87 C8932.jpg

Leith 37043 ICI tanks 11th Aug 87 C8932

attachicon.gifh Leith 08761 11th Aug 87 C8933.jpg

Leith 08761 11th Aug 87 C8933

attachicon.gifh Leith 37226 Fiat cars 11th Aug 87 C8935.jpg

Leith 37226 Fiat cars 11th Aug 87 C8935

A different BR van parked this time.

David

Nice layout!!!

:mosking:

JF

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good Scottish photo's tonight. Leith looks very interesting, with a very modellable track layout. Some good shunting can be seen taking place. The 47 certainly does have an interesting variation of the blue livery. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Hougham tonight. I particularly like the one of the class 40 on the express passenger from Grimsby to Kings Cross, August, 1974. Also, interesting to note that secondary  expresses on the ECML were mainly formed of Mk1 stock in the '70's. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Like the pictures at Lieth and that 47 never saw that livery before who painted it and how long did it last ,anyone know?    Think that somebody made a model of those sidings in Lieth  sometime ago I suppose that there is nothing left there now also were did the car trains come from ?

Like the pictures at Lieth and that 47 never saw that livery before who painted it and how long did it last ,anyone know?    Think that somebody made a model of those sidings in Lieth  sometime ago I suppose that there is nothing left there now also were did the car trains come from ?

The cars look as though they're Fiats, which would have been imported via either Avonmouth or Southampton.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Looks like the car train did the big circle round Millerhill - the first car appears to be the same vehicle in both photos.

From memory, I think that Fiat were imported via Felixstowe.

Thanks

Scotland this evening with a glimpse of Portobello and a few photos of Leith with freight trains.

attachicon.giff Portobello 37226 up cars to Leith to Millerhill to run round 11th Aug 87 C8928.jpg

Portobello 37226 up cars to Leith going to Millerhill to run round 11th Aug 87 C8928

attachicon.gifh Leith 37226 Fiat cars 11th Aug 87 C8935.jpg

Leith 37226 Fiat cars 11th Aug 87 C8935

A different BR van parked this time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of Mistley. The first one, C1888, of a class 105 DMU, Harwich to Manningtree, March, 1975, shows another ex-Hull 105, and is also a view which is very atmospheric. C1886, of the Maltings and quayside, is absolutely modellable, and I really do like that photo'. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

At the time of the photos grain was still being delivered to the Edme Malt Extract Works by train, there was also some traffic to the quayside down the steeply graded line seen in the first photo.  This steep line actually replaced an earlier line which was on a long curve down the hill, being originally horse worked.

I took a look round the net and found an old 25k series map that showed old route clearly. There also seems to have been another branch from the upside heading away from the water and ending in a field. I wonder what that was?

• RMweb Gold

Great more GER pictures and of somewhere I am going to in October ,do you have any of Harwich Town be interesting to compare now with then, I am spending the day the RNLI station and am going by train not willing to drive up the A12 !

Harwich Town will appear in due course, along with the train ferry berth.

David

• Like 1

Hi, Dave. Good Scottish photo's tonight. Leith looks very interesting, with a very modellable track layout. Some good shunting can be seen taking place. The 47 certainly does have an interesting variation of the blue livery. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I think the 47's livery  was one of the Thornaby 'variations' seen in later days.

47361 York 18 September 1987

post-1161-0-39509500-1411246388.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I took a look round the net and found an old 25k series map that showed old route clearly. There also seems to have been another branch from the upside heading away from the water and ending in a field. I wonder what that was?

I think there is a reference to that in "Forgotten Railways - East Anglia", unfortunately I sold my copy when I ran out of space in my house.  

If my memory is accurate the original line to the quayside actually left from the up side by a trailing connection, passed over the main line by a bridge and then continued to turn in a semi circle as it dropped down to the river level.

The other one, a little further east seems to have run to Mistley Heath, it is shown as an abandoned railway on the 1896 6" OS map.  It then seems to have continued south past Bradfield Hall.  Cobb's Atlas of Railways does not show it.

I have a vague memory that it may have been intended as a link from Mistley to somewhere around Weeley on the Clacton/Walton line but was never completed.

Does anyone else know for certain?

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

I have a vague memory that it may have been intended as a link from Mistley to somewhere around Weeley on the Clacton/Walton line but was never completed.

Does anyone else know for certain?

David

The curvature as it appears on the map suggests it was, or was going to be, more than a siding.