Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A few for tea time taken in Northumberland today.  As has been the case all week it was quite cloudy, at least today it is dry and not very gloomy on the coast.

attachicon.gifBuston Barns 221 127 down 24th September 2104 DSC_4067.jpg

Buston Barns 221 127 down 24th September 2104 DSC_4067

David

David,

Slightly concerned that "Voyagers" will still be around in 2104.....

Thank, again Dave. I enjoy looking at the people that populate stations in old photos. I have no idea why I find them so fascinating.....What are they doing? Where are they going? Are they still alive? Were they happy then?

Strange really.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Thank, again Dave. I enjoy looking at the people that populate stations in old photos. I have no idea why I find them so fascinating.....What are they doing? Where are they going? Are they still alive? Were they happy then?

Strange really.

Best, Pete.

Having people in some pictures does make them more interesting; but what I find more fascinating is the fashions, or lack of them!

• RMweb Gold

Any pictures of Cambois depot and its environs lurking in the collection Dave?

Yes there are, some should appear in the fairly near future, others need working on and are for later.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the High Dyke branch tonight. How things have changed since those days. It's all so modellable, the branch, the sidings and the trains.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Over the weekend I did take some railway photos, all being well I'll post a few of them here over the next few afternoons.

On Friday I was in Alston about 11am and found Darjeeling No 19 on a visit to the South Tynedale Railway.

post-5613-0-51452200-1412082759_thumb.jpg

Alston station 26th September 2014 DSC_4116

post-5613-0-28368500-1412082740_thumb.jpg

Alston Darjeeling 19 26th September 2014 DSC_4087

post-5613-0-57127900-1412082754_thumb.jpg

Alston Darjeeling 19 and No 25 26th September 2014 DSC_4092

post-5613-0-70612000-1412082744_thumb.jpg

Alston Darjeeling 19 26th September 2014 DSC_4102

post-5613-0-56617300-1412082749_thumb.jpg

Alston Darjeeling 19 26th September 2014 DSC_4104

David

• Like 16

Good see Alston was looking at a dvd of the line just before and the day it closed ,pity the line cant get back to Haltwistle but its a long way and money cant be plentiful,Had a ride behind this loco at Lieghton Buzzard some years ago good day and nice curries on sale in the buffet.

• Like 1

Nice shot showing the horrible orange nylon curtains in the 4-CEPs, and also I think some kind of coach reservation label, I seem to recall often carried by boat trains?

AberdeenBill - tons of info in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43622-mlv-pre-production-shots/ but basically registered/secure/customs cleared baggage to and from the rest of Europe I think, rather than plebs' suitcases.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Yes the jetty at Folkestone was rather longer than a 12 car CEP/BEP formation and the juice must have stopped in the station, so the MLV could be unhitched and move under its own power nearer to the ferries.

At least that is what I always presumed happened, but kick myself now - that I was never to bothered to actually go and photograph the procedure.

They were normally at the London end, rather convenient at both ends really, given the reversal at Folkestone Junction. I don't know what would have happened if one had been marshalled at the other end. Maybe it would have been quickly uncoupled at Central and allowed to make its own way down the hill before the passenger service?

If you are interested in this section of line during steam days, there are some great sequences on the Online video production Vintage Southern. This is probably long out of stock in most shops, but there is (at present) a copy posted on Youtube. The same footage was included in a more modern production called Steam Around Folkestone, and that has more modern scenes added with footage of preserved steam visits. This latter one may still be available.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Great shots as usual.    A silly question re MLVs: what did they actually convey on boat trains?   I would not have felt very comfortable in leaving my suitcases in an MLV and then walking to the other end of the train.    

Thanks,

Bill

Different times Bill, people trusted eachother then.........

• Like 2

Seeing the pictures of Folkestone reminds me of the boat trains hammering through Paddock Wood. We stood at the country end waiting the train to Tonbridge (for school). We used to stand on the platform slope so we could get into coach 9 and walk down to be by the steps at Tonbridge. We could have got on coach 8 - but we were schoolboys!

I have memories of the MLV being at the front of down boat trains (we called all fast trains boat trains), but that's a 35 year old memory from someone who didn't know a VEP from a CEP (or know those terms).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the pictures of Folkestone reminds me of the boat trains hammering through Paddock Wood. We stood at the country end waiting the train to Tonbridge (for school). We used to stand on the platform slope so we could get into coach 9 and walk down to be by the steps at Tonbridge. We could have got on coach 8 - but we were schoolboys!

I have memories of the MLV being at the front of down boat trains (we called all fast trains boat trains), but that's a 35 year old memory from someone who didn't know a VEP from a CEP (or know those terms).

I think anything with an MLV and a normal headcode would indeed have been a boat train. Obviously there were ECS moves through Tonbridge, not least with units going to/from Chart Leacon for work, but that would be very occasional by comparison. And, certainly in my lifetime, pretty much anything on the Folkestone Harbour branch would have been boat traffic. The passengers were referred to as "Classic", in contrast to those who accessed Dover or Folkestone by ordinary service trains and made their own way to the ferries.

These days, under EU auspices, Summer Time starts and ends in the UK and mainland Europe on the same day, so the UK remains one hour behind Europe. It wasn't always so, and juggling timetables for the few weeks when France and UK were other than I hour apart took some thinking about!

...I have memories of the MLV being at the front of down boat trains (we called all fast trains boat trains), but that's a 35 year old memory from someone who didn't know a VEP from a CEP (or know those terms).

Only at the "front" of down boat trains for the short section of the Folkestone Harbour branch, otherwise pretty much always the London end of all up and down boat trains. I grew up trainspotting in Kent up to the mid-80s, and never saw a boat train the other way round.

See also the thread I linked to above (post 1033) for examples of MLVs on non-boat trains in the early 80s, i.e. still during the boat train period and before they spread their wings a bit, so to speak. Page 3 of that thread and others. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43622-mlv-pre-production-shots/page-3

Edited by eastwestdivide