Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I know you say the quality is poor but I like C5080 - the picture of Eynsford. The area has hardly changed in the intervening years. Archaeology fans can check out Lullingstone Roman Villa which is in the same lane as is crossed by the viaduct!

I'm glad you said that, I thought the same.

To me it has almost the feel of an Edwardian era watercolour (notwithstanding the modern rolling stock).

Al.

Northumberland today, at Morpeth on the ECML in 1980 and 1981.

attachicon.gifMorpeth Class 37 down coal April 81 C5330.jpg

Morpeth Class 37 down coal April 81 C5330

David

Another nice set of photos David. Interesting in that the coal train headed by the 45 had a brake van either end. Reversal somewhere en-route?  I'm going to make a contribution in the "what's the loco number" competition, by saying the 37 in C5330 is 37083. The plated over nose door is a givaway. As my evidence I offer the following pics.

https://flic.kr/p/nbACUS

https://flic.kr/p/e1Uo6C

Thanks you again for sharing you photo collection with us.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Another nice set of photos David. Interesting in that the coal train headed by the 45 had a brake van either end. Reversal somewhere en-route?  I'm going to make a contribution in the "what's the loco number" competition, by saying the 37 in C5330 is 37083. The plated over nose door is a givaway. As my evidence I offer the following pics.

https://flic.kr/p/nbACUS

https://flic.kr/p/e1Uo6C

Thanks you again for sharing you photo collection with us.

Paul J.

Thanks for working out the number.

As for the two brake vans coal trains did sometimes reverse in the area but by this time 16T wagons were rare.  It may be a working of empties for civil engineers use, but my notes don't suggest this.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent start to the next 1,500,000 photo's. The Northumberland photo's certainly bring back many memories, and it would be so good to be able to travel on a train hauled by a class 40 hauling Mk1 stock as in C5419. Such a delightful sight it makes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great set today of photos from Kirkby in Ashfield. Never seen so many 8Fs for a long time, and how absolutely filthy they all are too! I love the portrait shot of 48447 in J119. How taken for granted they were too until the last of them had been withdrawn from service.

Plumtree bridge looks interesting, with rail level several feet higher up than the underside of the arch. And I can't quite make out the height of the bridge on the road sign, butI think it reads 15 feet.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There are insufficient superlatives for this thread, well done David - I'm sure it's regular viewing for a lot of people!

It is by far one of my favourite threads on the forum. The picture quality is good, as are the comments and memories it stirs.

The last one is the former ESSO LPG terminal, just north of Longport station, which provided fuel for the modern tunnel kilns that replaced the coal-fired bottle kilns. It used to receive a daily train of about a dozen tanks; when we used to live in the Potteries, in a flat with a distant view of the main line, we would see the loaded train pass in the early evening. The decimation of the pottery industry, from the early 1980s onwards, meant that the remaining pot-banks could be supplied via the normal gas supply network, and the trains ceased to run.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today's photo's. The Middleton incline was clearly in a state of decay when those photos were taken. I wonder if any models have ever been made of it?

In J1719, it is interesting to see a 31 and a 37 in multiple. I've seen very few photos of them working in multiple.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The last one is the former ESSO LPG terminal, just north of Longport station, which provided fuel for the modern tunnel kilns that replaced the coal-fired bottle kilns. It used to receive a daily train of about a dozen tanks; when we used to live in the Potteries, in a flat with a distant view of the main line, we would see the loaded train pass in the early evening. The decimation of the pottery industry, from the early 1980s onwards, meant that the remaining pot-banks could be supplied via the normal gas supply network, and the trains ceased to run.

The Fawley to Longport LPG trains were still running at least as late as 1993. At that time, the loaded northbound working was 6M23 and it's empty southbound return was 6O32. In later years, the consist also included bitumen-filled TTAs for Castle Bromwich.

The Fawley to Longport LPG trains were still running at least as late as 1993. At that time, the loaded northbound working was 6M23 and it's empty southbound return was 6O32. In later years, the consist also included bitumen-filled TTAs for Castle Bromwich.

I hadn't realised they lasted that long- presumably the frequency had dropped from that of the late 1970s? It used to be a busy area around Longport, as there was a terminal for Carless Solvents almost opposite the gas terminal, and both a BR Full-Loads Terminal and a parcels depot.

Thanks for working out the number.

As for the two brake vans coal trains did sometimes reverse in the area but by this time 16T wagons were rare.  It may be a working of empties for civil engineers use, but my notes don't suggest this.

David

From their insides it looks like they may have been in use on the Scottish Limestone traffic originating from Ferryhill?

Hi, Dave. I like today's photo's. The Middleton incline was clearly in a state of decay when those photos were taken. I wonder if any models have ever been made of it?

In J1719, it is interesting to see a 31 and a 37 in multiple. I've seen very few photos of them working in multiple.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

We certainly had a Cromford and High Peak model complete with working rope incline some years ago at the Nottingham show. I'm afraid I can't remember when or anything much about it though.