Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The Great Eastern photos are a real delight, and thank you for posting them. In J4346 and J4347, the Mk1 BSK seems to have quite some trouble with its steam heating - such a lot of steam is escaping from the pipe.

The last photo is really lovely, and what a great oil painting could be painted from it. It’s all so English, and very charming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Andy,

I'll have a search for the pic, I'm sure David will be okay posting it here. It may be the weekend before I get chance.

Hi David and Andy,

I could not put my hand to the original which is only a print and sadly no negative and this was the best the scan could do.

post-5296-0-35336200-1506707017_thumb.jpeg

By way of making amends I found another of 84' at Newport.

post-5296-0-33161900-1506706980_thumb.jpg

I trust you don't mind the hijack David.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

J4347 interesting to see 37264 in banger blue - a long way off from how i remember it in the mid-'80s, in large logo livery and the wilds of Scotland!

(from jbg06003's zenfolio) http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p866763645/h5c7acb4#h5c7acb4

IIRC 37260-264 were a batch used particularly on the Far North/Highland lines, gaining the small nose-mounted headlight required due to unworked crossings on the lines

• RMweb Gold

Aug 77 J5767

Definitely different times with your mum ambling across a bridge adjacent to an open line.

I wasn't there that weekend, I would have been in Essex.

However from my own visits there I remember the whole area was unfenced and was used for dog walking, children to play on and so on.

As you correctly say, definitely different times.

It's a bit like some of my earliest memories of being on engine footplates at Nottingham Victoria with Mum and Dad in the early 50s when I was 3 or 4 years old.  Also of Dad coming home from work looking a bit grubby sometimes after having a footplate ride home from Nottingham Victoria instead of being in a comfortable carriage.   I was quite often in our local signalbox from about 8 years old.  In another context I was sailing dinghies by myself when I was 9 and travelled to France by myself to stay with friends when I was 14.

Things have changed a very great deal.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Barton on Humber and New Holland photos. Memories! Barton on Humber station certainly was much reduced over the years to the single track terminus that it now is, and all but was in that second photo'.

It's great to see MV Farringford. It makes a fine sight in J5968, and it's hard to believe that they finished the ferries back in May, 1981 with opening of the Humber Bridge. If you have anymore photos, then I hope you will post them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bluebell Railway photos, and the class H tank engine in the last photo makes such a lovely sight.

The photos of the ECML at Widdrington in Northumberland are so delightful. The last one shows some great weathering effects on the Mk1 BG.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That's a nice sprinkling of coal dust on the protruding bits on the front of the 56 in C6102! And is that a lumberjack at the controls?

More than a sprinkling of dust there. Makes me wonder, if the loco had been No.1 end leading, how much coal the radiators would have ingested, and to what effect?

Another cracking set of photos....

Dave

@DaveF

Fascinating shots of the Black 5s at Harrogate, Dave. So where would the coaches have been combined with the diesel-hauled train for the rest of the journey to KX? And were these portions always only 2 coaches?

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Small point with J413..  Black 5 numbering started at 44658. So 44617 is probably a typo?

A mistake in Dad's notes, so I've no idea which one it is.

David

• RMweb Gold

@DaveF

Fascinating shots of the Black 5s at Harrogate, Dave. So where would the coaches have been combined with the diesel-hauled train for the rest of the journey to KX? And were these portions always only 2 coaches?

Cheers

Trevor

The train joined with one from Bradford at Leeds.

The train was 2 or 3 coaches.

David