Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Southside. In J10084, with a Pacer replacement train hauled by 47559, from Alnmouth to Newcastle, in August, 1989, I’m just wondering about the inclusion of a BG at the head of the formation. The only thing I can think of is that it was a really last minute rake of carriages that day, and no time was available to remove the BG.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland at Southside. In J10084, with a Pacer replacement train hauled by 47559, from Alnmouth to Newcastle, in August, 1989, I’m just wondering about the inclusion of a BG at the head of the formation. The only thing I can think of is that it was a really last minute rake of carriages that day, and no time was available to remove the BG.

Rob, that looks like the BG has been added in to provide accomodation for the guard rather than not being removed, as that looks like TSO and FO or FK accompanying it. Guessing there was possibly a RR rake short of those two coaches running around somewhere...

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Rob, that looks like the BG has been added in to provide accomodation for the guard rather than not being removed, as that looks like TSO and FO or FK accompanying it. Guessing there was possibly a RR rake short of those two coaches running around somewhere...

They are Trans-Pennine branded coaches, so as you suggest a Heaton scratch set using part of or spare coaches from the Liverpool-Newcastle sets.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most splendid set of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing on the ECML in Northumberland. In J10570, with 43107, leading a HST from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, in December, 1989, you can see the interesting way the cab roof is weathered that would look most strange on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful set of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line and the branches. In J9290, near to Riding Mill, with a hybrid class 116 and 119, DMU, on a Sunderland to Hexham service, in September, 1987, that is a well captured side on view of the three car unit, and it enables you to see the amount of the gap between the bottom of the underframes and bogies which was quite prominent on the first generation DMU’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s of the Bowes Railway at Springwell, near Gateshead. In C11746, at Blackhams Hill, with Barclay, 22, on the 27th March, 1989, it’s certainly interesting to see a locomotive on the incline working it on adhesion and not getting help with a cable. 
The Newcastle Central station photo’s are as interesting as ever, and the last photo’ of 142522, a ‘Skipper’, on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service, in August, 1991, shows a destination blind very much to one side, with Newcastle, to my eyes reading more like ‘ewtastle’! Never mind, I’m sure the locals would know were the train was going. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a delightful set of photo’s of Switzerland, in the south east at Disentis, on the 28th July, 1992. The first photo’, of RhB, Tm2/2,  number 25, is a most excellent rear three quarter portrait shot of the little locomotive. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of the Tyne and Wear Metro, and it shows some of the impressive structures on the system. The first photo’ of Willington Quay, with a Metro crossing the viaduct, on the 28th December, 1989, has captured well the bulkiness of the structure, and the way the masts for the overhead wiring used the piers. The clock tower at Whitley Bay, as it was in February, 1992, in J12997, has been well caught by the camera, along with Tynemouth old station, on the 11th  July, 1987, which is a fine old building and it’s good to know it is safe.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent set of photo’s of Carnforth from August, 2003. They show the curvature of the lines through the platforms very clearly, and the last photo’ of  90013, on an up express, which it is pushing, is very good for weathering a Bachmann class 90. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The photo in Kingmoor yard shows just how quickly, and perhaps unexpectedly,  things can change.

Two rows of HAAs which have been shifting coal from pit to power station since the mid-late 60s still, apparently, in use in 2003

Sandwiched between is a rake of HTAs, their modern replacements, which little more than 10 years later will be languishing out of use as the coal traffic rapidly disappeared. 

There were many rows of them at Worksop until a couple of years ago when the site was cleared for handing over to Harry Needle for both new and withdrawn passenger stock storage.

I believe most went for scrap although there are still a few trains through Nottingham at the moment feeding imported coal to Ratcliffe on Soar power station. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a lovely set of photo’s of Kingmoor Yard, and Crawford from the 29th December, 2003. The last photo’, of a class 221 ‘Voyager’, at Crawford, is most photogenic, with the vast expanse of grassland in the foreground, and a large hill in the background, and the 221 is sandwiched in between them. Sadly, it’s too big an area for most people to even contemplate being able to model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/02/2022 at 20:30, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Also, how would you apply the handbrake without a coach with a guard van ? Modern sprinters and pacers have spring loaded parking brakes that are automatically applied. Old DMU had the brake wheel in the driving cab, but coaches only had the brake in the guards compartment. 

To add. Dave, you do not need to thank me when I post on your thread. It is we who need to thank you for sharing these wonderful photos every day, of things we all remember but never captured at the time. 

Edited by cheesysmith
Add text
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1