Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

So Willoughby (the junction for Mablethorpe) would have been your local station?

Hi

There was a station in the village on the line from Louth to Mablethorpe which is now a private residence.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Anyhow, just down the road from Saltfleetby station there has been action in the toy room. I have been driving trains again and enjoying myself. I am slowly getting into the habit of ensuring all sections in the station are off before selecting the controller and setting the route. I am also developing the discipline of making all running trains are stopped before I swap a train from the fiddle yard or station.  A couple of unexplained derailments but these have not been repeated so I don't know what has caused them. One or two duff locos hasn't helped but many haven't run for yonks. 

I have progressed to DMUs, short and long, local passenger with Type 2s or tank locos, express trains with 4-6-0s or Type 3s and a class 40 and parcels trains including a Parcels DMU.

I had a really great time running trains. My plan of two trains circulating while I sort out the next train to leave the station or fuddle yards is working. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate, so the next exiting step for you audience is a Video, NOT OF YOU BELLEY DANCING UNDER THE LIFTING FLAP, :no:  but of Trains running into each other :O  :nono:  :nono: around the room. :sungum:

Hi Bodge

As you well know I am not a DCC muddler so I cannot run trains directly at each other as a chap suggested when he was explaining the virtues of DCC to Tony Wright at a recent exhibition.

As for moving pictures Stanley Kurbrick says he is a tad busy next week but will see what he can do later in the month.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

Hi Bodge

As you well know I am not a DCC muddler so I cannot run trains directly at each other as a chap suggested when he was explaining the virtues of DCC to Tony Wright at a recent exhibition.

As for moving pictures Stanley Kurbrick says he is a tad busy next week but will see what he can do later in the month.

Oh well, if you can't run Trains INTO EACH OTHER for our amusement, then I guess it will have to be the Belly Dancing Video Clive. :nono:  :scared:  :boast:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :blum: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With “advocates” like that, DCC doesn’t need any opponents...

third-party-facepalm.jpg

• Like 2

Anyhow, just down the road from Saltfleetby station there has been action in the toy room. I have been driving trains again and enjoying myself. I am slowly getting into the habit of ensuring all sections in the station are off before selecting the controller and setting the route. I am also developing the discipline of making all running trains are stopped before I swap a train from the fiddle yard or station.  A couple of unexplained derailments but these have not been repeated so I don't know what has caused them. One or two duff locos hasn't helped but many haven't run for yonks. 

I have progressed to DMUs, short and long, local passenger with Type 2s or tank locos, express trains with 4-6-0s or Type 3s and a class 40 and parcels trains including a Parcels DMU.

I had a really great time running trains. My plan of two trains circulating while I sort out the next train to leave the station or fuddle yards is working. 

One of the great benefits of having a layout is that things get sorted out if they don't work... The facility for giving locos a good long run should itself keep them in good condition  (I've had to buy a rolling road)

post-80-0-89693700-1523100898.jpg

Grimoldby (I think) 1977. Eminently scratchbuildable if anyone's looking for a country station

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hate to break it to you Clive, but Mr Kubrick has been dead for nearly 20 years!

I think I am beginning to understand why you have not embraced DCC.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bodge

You can run things into each other on DC by the simple expedient of swapping the pick up wires round on various locos, adds a bit of interest!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Grimoldby (I think) 1977. Eminently scratchbuildable if anyone's looking for a country station

Amazingly similar to Stoke Ferry on the GER. Shared architect/contractor, probably.post-32558-0-47205500-1523105564_thumb.jpeg

Stoke_Ferry_railway_station.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Forget the two-wire nonsense, the major benefits of DCC are:

Ability to fine tune the performance of different mechanisms to operate exactly the same way in response to controllers;

Ability to “consist” engines/mus to run as a single unit;

Ability to perform pilot and shunting duties without having to worry about section and isolating breaks;

Ability to have two trains in, for example, a platform, without having to worry about section and isolating breaks;

Psychologically, you drive the train and not the track - you have to try this to see if you like it;

Better performance due to constant voltage;

Some simplification of some wiring, using things like frog juicers and auto-reverse units.

Other things, like adding sound and controlling lights, are entirely optional.

Down-sides:

Cost, learning something new, un-learning old ways, potential incompatibility with DC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ability to fine tune the performance of different mechanisms to operate exactly the same way in response to controllers;

Ability to perform pilot and shunting duties without having to worry about section and isolating breaks;

Ability to have two trains in, for example, a platform, without having to worry about section and isolating breaks;

Psychologically, you drive the train and not the track - you have to try this to see if you like it;

Some simplification of some wiring, using things like frog juicers and auto-reverse units.

Down-sides:

Cost, learning something new, un-learning old ways, potential incompatibility with DC.

You are wasting your time, Clive is sitting in the corner with his fingers in his ears singing la la la la la la!

Mike.

• Like 1

Down-sides:

He's tried it on a my Kings Moreton a couple of times.

post-9335-0-31042600-1523106992_thumb.jpg

:no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You are wasting your time, Clive is sitting in the corner with his fingers in his ears singing la la la la la la!

Mike.

Yeah, but other people might read it!

(Some might pay heed to the quote in my signature...)

You can get some of the flexibility of operation by fitting normally closed reed switches into powered stock, and placing a small magnet over it to isolate them whenever required.

As much effort as wiring in a small decoder, and probably more hassle about where you put it...

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

Why do so many people have to do the huge song and dance about how good DCC is on the thread of a bloke who has said many many times that he doesn't want it?

Clive's seen DCC, he's used DCC, he's happy with DC. Leave the poor old luddite alone!

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Why do so many people have to do the huge song and dance about how good DCC is on the thread of a bloke who has said many many times that he doesn't want it?

Clive's seen DCC, he's used DCC, he's happy with DC. Leave the poor old luddite alone!

Andi

A BIG THANK YOU

Ned Ludd

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Andi

DC or DCC - if it works for you and you are happy with it, then crack on.

But that still doesn't stop us baiting, taking the p and generally annoying Clive about the wonders and benefits of two wires............

:onthequiet:

Cheers,

MIck

• RMweb Premium

DC or DCC - if it works for you and you are happy with it, then crack on.

But that still doesn't stop us baiting, taking the p and generally annoying Clive about the wonders and benefits of two wires............

:onthequiet:

Cheers,

MIck

Hi Mick

Are you ....just saying..... :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hate to break it to you Clive, but Mr Kubrick has been dead for nearly 20 years!

I think I am beginning to understand why you have not embraced DCC.

There you go then, I am glad to see I am in touch with the modern world of entertainment.

I can't remember the last film I went to the pictures to see.

• RMweb Gold

There you go then, I am glad to see I am in touch with the modern world of entertainment.

I can't remember the last film I went to the pictures to see.

Did it have a bloke playing the piano as accompaniment? 

:D

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Did it have a bloke playing the piano as accompaniment? 

:D

Andi

I'll bet it was in black and white and flickered a lot..........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

If I were to bung up any OLE it would be Mk1 stuff for my ER EMUs.....Part of the modernisation plan was to electrify from Kings Cross to Doncaster, well in my parallel world this might have taken place and it has been extended to Sheffield Exchange. The Kings Cross to Doncaster scheme was well into its planning stage and the rolling stock was even under construction when it was cancelled. The AL5s and AM9s were designed for it.

Ah Steam Diesel and AC electrics :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

The aforementioned Derek Shore's Avondale, Waterfoot and Creston had an electrified section where Woodhead electrics were swapped for steam or diesel locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The aforementioned Derek Shore's Avondale, Waterfoot and Creston had an electrified section where Woodhead electrics were swapped for steam or diesel locos.

Hi John

Derek's Woodhead electrics looked really good, the mix of diesel, steam and electric fitted his layout.

Before the "Your layout would look good with Woodheads on it" chaps start, I would like to state the following. In January I had along chat with Mike (Enterainingwestern) about how impregnable Sheffield would have been to the up and coming young railway engineers even on my parallel planet. Our conclusion was that the lines coming into Exchange would roughly followed those of the real world's Midland Railway lines in the North East of the city. So even on my own little world had the MS&LR reached Sheffield then the Woodhead Electrics would have missed Exchange as much as it did Midland.

I like Woodhead electrics and have several books on them but no models.

• Like 2