Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Here you go Stu

Paddington, a silent film so you don't have to hear how stupid the passengers are.

Oh no ! I have posted something about the G*R, the gateway to bandit country. :scared: :scared:

Lovely. I like how some of the coach roofs are finished in Halford's Grey Primer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh no ! I have posted something about the G*R, the gateway to bandit country. :scared: :scared:

Twice in one day too: or does the pretty green one at Loughborough not count?

Enjoyed watching the video.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Twice in one day too: or does the pretty green one at Loughborough not count?

Enjoyed watching the video.

Paul.

Yes but no but yes but no but, the one in Loughborough wasn't in real bandit country and it was painted in BR fake G*R livery, more to the point a very wrong fake BR version of the G*R livery. So only a partial G*R thingy. Swindon (and Eastleigh)  started to paint locos in lined green, when they should have been LNWR black, after the change from the totem to the emblem. It has a whooping great totem on is coal truck. No wonder modellers make mistakes.

• Like 1

Yes but no but yes but no but, the one in Loughborough wasn't in real bandit country and it was painted in BR fake G*R livery, more to the point a very wrong fake BR version of the G*R livery. So only a partial G*R thingy. Swindon (and Eastleigh)  started to paint locos in lined green, when they should have been LNWR black, after the change from the totem to the emblem. It has a whooping great totem on is coal truck. No wonder modellers make mistakes.

Stick to Banger Blue, you can't go wrong, well that's what I say, anyway. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Stick to Banger Blue, you can't go wrong, well that's what I say, anyway. :sungum:

Well Andrew dear friend, if you venture to the Retford show 17th and 18th November you will see me Banger Blueing Western Region Stylie with Pig Lane. With my lovely able willing assistant Mallard 60022, know in the real word as Mr Duck or in the other real world as Phil. 

• Like 4

I love the picture of your bother standing next to the advertisment for a mild aperient. I’d never heard the word before and had to google it to get definition. I’ll be jiggered, you learn about all kinds of things on RM web.

Suppose it’s quite appropriate to have a 60 year old man standing next to an advert for a mild aperient. Did he take one and did you get him home without any “embarrassment”.

Are you going to have similar adverts for such aperients at Sheffield Exchange or do those ratting DMUs , hurtling over those sharp crossovers while ignoring the speed restrictions have the same effect on passengers of a certain age?

Edited by jazzer

• RMweb Premium

I love the picture of your bother standing next to the advertisment for a mild apperient. I’d never heard the word before and had to google it to get definition. I’ll be jiggered, you learn about all kinds of things on RM web.

Suppose it’s quite appropriate to have a 60 year old man standing next to an advert for a mild apperient. Did he take one and did you get him home without any “embarrassment”.

Are you going to have similar adverts for such apperients at Sheffield Exchange or do those ratting DMUs , hurting over those sharp crossovers while ignoring the speed restrictions have the same effect?

From memory adverts for such concoctions had gone out of fashion by the 1960s, except perhaps Andrew's Liver Salts but I think they were mainly seen in the papers of the day. 

Oh I have just remembered our mum use to feed us Virol. If you are too young to remember Virol then you are really really lucky.

I quite liked Lost, keep thinking of watching them again... and Game of Thrones for that matter... but using that theme for the tv show seemed too obvious...

After the awful ending to Lost, I can no longer watch it, bit like the ending of the final Matrix movie.

Only Connect tonight, followed by University Challenge, then Paddington 24/7.

Stretch the brain, feel inadequate, then wonder at the stupidity of passengers.

There are only two reasons to watch Only Connect

From memory adverts for such concoctions had gone out of fashion by the 1960s, except perhaps Andrew's Liver Salts but I think they were mainly seen in the papers of the day. 

Oh I have just remembered our mum use to feed us Virol. If you are too young to remember Virol then you are really really lucky.

I can’t remember Virol , not because of being too young to remember but being old enough to forget with the distance of time ! I remember seeing the Swinging Blue Jeans, before they were famous though, while on holiday with my parents in the Lake Distrct.

• RMweb Premium

I can’t remember Virol , not because of being too young to remember but being old enough to forget with the distance of time ! I remember seeing the Swinging Blue Jeans, before they were famous though, while on holiday with my parents in the Lake Distrct.

I saw the swinging blue jeans after they were famous in Harrogate at an RCN conference evening bash. But can't remember them being famous or their songs but just their name being on the radio or Top of The Pops when I was a kid. Didn't stop my mum feeding us Virol. 

• RMweb Premium

I done some modelling today, I made the cab for the DMSK on the Swindon Intercity unit, this is the fourth cab I have made for this train and it didn't go right so I am leaving the glue to set really hard before attacking it again with a file.

Mean while I went back to my youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZyMx2NXZM

Then came punk........

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I done some modelling today, I made the cab for the DMSK on the Swindon Intercity unit, this is the fourth cab I have made for this train and it didn't go right so I am leaving the glue to set really hard before attacking it again with a file.

Then came punk........

Mine too but unlike you I never really took to punk.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You mean hearing this didn't make you go WOW

Some stuff was OK, the Ramones for example, but overall I thought that there was more chaff than wheat.

My tastes in 1976 were more along the lines of Boz Scaggs, Thin Lizzy, Steve Miller, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Springsteen, and so on.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some stuff was OK, the Ramones for example, but overall I thought that there was more chaff than wheat.

My tastes in 1976 were more along the lines of Boz Scaggs, Thin Lizzy, Steve Miller, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Springsteen, and so on.

Lizzy I liked a lot, always a good night having a few beers with Phil Lynott. I tried hard to fit in with my mates who liked heavy rock or prog rock, but I liked Slade, Cockney Rebel, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground, and slowly moved on to pub rock, Doctor Feelgood, Grahame Parker and the Rumour, and Kilburn and the High Roads, so I was always the one that nearly fitted in. Punk meant I didn't have to any more.

Pre punk, I still like the London Mod bands that morphed into rock bands, The Who, The Kinks, and The Small Faces. I also still like ELP and Genesis with Peter Gabriel  singing. I Like listening to soul music. I grew up listening to Ska and Reggae, so when The Clash, The Slits and The Specials mixed them with punk....excellent. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lizzy I liked a lot, always a good night having a few beers with Phil Lynott. I tried hard to fit in with my mates who liked heavy rock or prog rock, but I liked Slade, Cockney Rebel, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground, and slowly moved on to pub rock, Doctor Feelgood, Grahame Parker and the Rumour, and Kilburn and the High Roads, so I was always the one that nearly fitted in. Punk meant I didn't have to any more.

Pre punk, I still like the London Mod bands that morphed into rock bands, The Who, The Kinks, and The Small Faces. I also still like ELP and Genesis with Peter Gabriel  singing. I Like listening to soul music. I grew up listening to Ska and Reggae, so when The Clash, The Slits and The Specials mixed them with punk....excellent. 

My tastes have always been, and still are, varied and eclectic but you are on the money with pub rock. Ducks Deluxe, Brinsley Schwarz, Kursaal Flyers, Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers (to keep this on topic, look out for their version of Choo Choo Ch'Boogie) and my own favourites Kokomo. Happy memories of the Torrington in North Finchley...

• RMweb Premium

I have sorted out the cab on the Swindon unit. I have had it running, and despite looking like a train for Joseph with its multi-coloured coaches it looks good doing over 100 mph around the circuit and 90+ when the power car is pushing seven coaches, some still with their Tri-ang wheels. I did try it over the station throat, power car pushing, but the Tri-ang wheels defeated it.

• Like 3

Then came punk........

Free Bird, one of the best, if not THE best Driving songs ever, Car Volume on full, open windows and drive. I put it on one night driving back from Portsmouth to Derbyshire at almost midnight, re played many times to keep me awake, and the fastest time ever for the journey, shaved 20 minutes off the normal time. :sungum:

I only had the pleasure of playing Bass on this live once, at a Portsmouth Football Club Charity Gig, when the other Groups Bass Player didn't show up.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3