Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Mr Newbryford sir, did you happen to see the Paddington 24/7 programme last night  (15/10/2018) - they took a trip on the 'yellow' train (a.k.a. 'flying banana'), explaining all about the clever bits of kit inside.

Sure did!.

The PLPR technology is stunning (Plain Line Pattern Recognition) as it looks at all the rail fixings at speed. Loved the comment about being able to spot a crisp packet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sure did!.

The PLPR technology is stunning (Plain Line Pattern Recognition) as it looks at all the rail fixings at speed. Loved the comment about being able to spot a crisp packet.

I have a cocker spaniel that does that when we go for a walk. Perhaps I could hire him out and they can tie him to the front of the train.

I have a cocker spaniel that does that when we go for a walk. Perhaps I could hire him out and they can tie him to the front of the train.

I tried to get my mother to call her cocker spaniel "Stay" in the hope that when she walked him he would get extremely confused when you called out "Here ..Stay !".

• RMweb Gold

I tried to get my mother to call her cocker spaniel "Stay" in the hope that when she walked him he would get extremely confused when you called out "Here ..Stay !".

There is a wonderful Les Barker poem about three dogs - "Stay, Go & Fetch". If you get the chance to see him live anywhere well worth the fee.

Edited by john new

Mr Newbryford sir, did you happen to see the Paddington 24/7 programme last night  (15/10/2018) - they took a trip on the 'yellow' train (a.k.a. 'flying banana'), explaining all about the clever bits of kit inside.

The only problem with these programs is everything has a 'problem' to be solved - it always feel manipulated so there is some tension - like the rail that wouldn't go down the path on the back of the lorry, not having the right equipment on site to remove the check rail - they build in mild peril which is nearly always solved.

It was the same with the NYMR program where they had a chap chasing a gauging train in his car so he could watch it arrive at each station - not quite sure what he was doing as the loco crew seemed to be doing a perfectly good job of assessing clearances.

I'm getting old and grumpy maybe but I don't like contrived situations.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

There is a wonderful Les Barker poem about three dogs - "Stay, Go & Fetch". If you get the chance to see him live anywhere well worth the fee.

• Like 1

A good hand saw will cut straighter maiter. 

And use up some un tapped energy as well. :sungum:  :scared:  :scared: :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Want to bet?

Me and cutting straight with any type of saw is something that doesn't happen. Craft knife and a ruler on plastic card, OK. Otherwise it is find a tool that will make it look less wavy.

What I do while my circular saw is in storage and I need to cut a straight line on a long piece with my jigsaw (because that's not in storage) is clamp a baton of straight wood to the sheet I'm cutting and keep the side of the jigsaw pressed against it while running. Check the start and finish positions of the baton are correctly aligned with the cutting position of the jigsaw first and you get a nice straight line

• RMweb Premium

What I do while my circular saw is in storage and I need to cut a straight line on a long piece with my jigsaw (because that's not in storage) is clamp a baton of straight wood to the sheet I'm cutting and keep the side of the jigsaw pressed against it while running. Check the start and finish positions of the baton are correctly aligned with the cutting position of the jigsaw first and you get a nice straight line

Hi Matt

I buy my wood from B&Q.....that doesn't help does it? Now if I needed all the platforms to have a gentle curve......

• RMweb Premium

The excitement at Sheffield Exchange was soon dashed when it was noticed the ballast train was empty. An inspection saloon was spotted as well. So maybe the engineers are taking pity on the station.

post-16423-0-22237900-1539723205_thumb.jpg

The ballast train

post-16423-0-33286300-1539723193_thumb.jpg

The inspection saloon. It was a real conversion done by BR so must rate as the smallest BR mk1 passenger carrying coach.

Last night there was no running as i was cutting and shutting the sides for the Swindon inter city DMSK

post-16423-0-65200800-1539723217_thumb.jpg

I was going to do the front tonight but I am knackered.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I only ran one train tonight , a Leeds train formed of non gangway coaches luckily most passengers have access to a toilet as it was the Eastern Region train with a CL and two SO(L). I feel sorry for those in both BS. The loco was a Fowler class 4 tank, it didn't 'alf sound like an old man creaking as it went along. The driver had enough sense to make the fireman go round and oil her up, whizzo it went after that. Very good thinking on the part of the driver.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had a stray come and live with me, and he didn't respond to any names so Oi became his name.

My uncle acquired a stray which he named ‘Trousers’.

You try telling her to stop jumping up!!!

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

The only problem with these programs is everything has a 'problem' to be solved - it always feel manipulated so there is some tension - like the rail that wouldn't go down the path on the back of the lorry, not having the right equipment on site to remove the check rail - they build in mild peril which is nearly always solved.

It was the same with the NYMR program where they had a chap chasing a gauging train in his car so he could watch it arrive at each station - not quite sure what he was doing as the loco crew seemed to be doing a perfectly good job of assessing clearances.

I'm getting old and grumpy maybe but I don't like contrived situations.

I'm sure that the situations weren't contrived, but edited TV is - no avoiding it (just like the GBMRC)

Which is why it's on at 9pm [*] It's public entertainment TV for the masses - not for us that know a bit more about the real railway.

Cheers,

Mick

[*] I bet the only reason that it's after the watershed is because of the sweary commuters - some of them just want their 15 minutes seconds of fame.... I'm so glad I don't have to do that every day.

Edited by newbryford

I would like a few more, a tin front PD2, an AEC front door Regent V, a Leyland Royal Tiger with rear open door and a ECW bodied Leopard. I can then swap them around for different photo shoots. It looks a tad boring when the trains change but the same bus is on the same bridge five years later. ;)

You could go for no busses and a very long que of grumpy commuters at the bus stop waiting to get home, Realistic at any time.

Just a thought.

• RMweb Premium

You could go for no busses and a very long que of grumpy commuters at the bus stop waiting to get home, Realistic at any time.

Just a thought.

Hi Jazzer

Wot no bridge supporting a bus, I will be bunged out of the model railway fraternity.  :scared: :scared:

And who says the good people of Sheffield are grumpy, I think we all need an open mind on this and not base our assumptions on Enterprising Mike. :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

We keep hearing on the news about Brexit well I have given it some thought today......crikey that was a waste of 30 seconds of my life. :nono: :nono:

Now back to important things, the bus on the bridge situation, I quite like Jazzer's idea. How about the bus queue waiting and being grumpy because they can see their bus but the probationary peeler in the middle of the road has (not an RMweb word) everything up? :dontknow: :dontknow: :crazy: :umbrage:

Hi Matt

I buy my wood from B&Q.....that doesn't help does it? Now if I needed all the platforms to have a gentle curve......

Well what platform is perfectly straight... ;) especially if your track still isn't fixed down, you could match it to your platform sides!

To be fair I have a pack of B&Q 1×2 batons and they work fine as straight guides (other commercial DIYs with dubious quality wood products are available).

It looks good with some scenics coming together Clive, the signal box looks very right in that location with the diesel headshunt behind it (can't recall noticing it there on my visits, was I just being very unobservant?!)

I got up late this morning - worked nine days straight so far, another nine to go - and rushed out of the house without my reading glasses.

So I cannot see the computer screen or do any actual work, so the office is resounding to the sound of 

while I wonder what happened to my youth.  reading glasses, effing reading glasses... how did this happen to me?  I was going to live fast and die young

I got up late this morning - worked nine days straight so far, another nine to go - and rushed out of the house without my reading glasses.

So I cannot see the computer screen or do any actual work, so the office is resounding to the sound of 

while I wonder what happened to my youth.  reading glasses, effing reading glasses... how did this happen to me?  I was going to live fast and die young

Ahh ! Siouxie, that reminds me of my yoof too !

When I was of an age that didn't require reading glasses we used to have what is now referred to as a "rave".

When Fairport Convention were holding their annual event at Cropredy a mate, who worked for Polydor at the time, used to help organise gigs for many of the groups at that time, some of whom were "up for a pre-gig" to warm up.

About 15 miles or so from Cropredy was an old abandoned camp in a small wooded area miles from anywhere which was used by a group of "alternative" music lovers when Cropredy was being held. Because of the required policing at said event they were thin on the ground so we used to take advantage of that and hold our mini-fest, all legal of course ( not! ).

One particular year my mate managed to get Siouxie to come and have a warm up session prior to doing her gig that night in Coventry. She enjoyed a few liquid refreshments whilst singing to the crowd, usually about 70-100 of us each year. Dunno how we ever managed to keep it a secret but it seemed to work for several years.

It was a good feeling to be free and get on the decks until I either dropped or got tired when there was always someone to take over !

Happy days ! 

A. Rebel

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

If I may put my serious head on for a moment, why exactly do you want busses on the bridge? Is it just for photos or are they going to be part of the permanent scene?

If it’s just for photos, great , but personally ( and I presume there must be others like me) , it drives me nuts when I see a cracking exhibition layout spoilt( in my opinion) by trains that move and busses that don’t. On the other hand if it’s just your train set and you don’t mind busses that don’t move it doesn’t really matter, especially if you like busses, but maybe you could devise some sort of bus terminal or end of route where the driver ( and conductor for that matter in the 1960’s) stopped and had there fag before the return journey ?

On the law of averages most bridges had no busses on them more than they had them. It took only a few seconds for a bus to cross over then a gap before the next one, so this bus on bridge thing on a lot of models is a bit over egged, and adds to the unnecessary clutter, if you see what I mean.

Having said all that, on a layout set in the early sixties you can still get away with some of the classic busses of the late’40’s/early50’s, which would be great .So maybe by thinking it though a bit the bus might be an interesting focal point but it will take some thought

If I may put my serious head on for a moment, why exactly do you want busses on the bridge? Is it just for photos or are they going to be part of the permanent scene?

If it’s just for photos, great , but personally ( and I presume there must be others like me) , it drives me nuts when I see a cracking exhibition layout spoilt( in my opinion) by trains that move and busses that don’t. On the other hand if it’s just your train set and you don’t mind busses that don’t move it doesn’t really matter, especially if you like busses, but maybe you could devise some sort of bus terminal or end of route where the driver ( and conductor for that matter in the 1960’s) stopped and had there fag before the return journey ?

On the law of averages most bridges had no busses on them more than they had them. It took only a few seconds for a bus to cross over then a gap before the next one, so this bus on bridge thing on a lot of models is a bit over egged, and adds to the unnecessary clutter, if you see what I mean.

Having said all that, on a layout set in the early sixties you can still get away with some of the classic busses of the late’40’s/early50’s, which would be great .So maybe by thinking it though a bit the bus might be an interesting focal point but it will take some thought

Interesting, but wrong-headed statistics.  Every road over rail bridge, countrywide, is on an intensively worked bus route, and has been since 1953.  Van Hool McArdle's third law of omni-kinetics (1955) clearly demonstrates that the approach of a train will cause temporary paralysis of the driver of the preceding stagecoach service, rendering that bus immobile astride the bridge.  Hence, every bridge on a model railway layout, in order to be modelled faithfully, must have a bus on it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Serious 'ead on.

I need something to say the scenery stops here so that is why I am thinking of a bridge. The buses will give the layout a sense of location, the Sheffield City Transport livery was not only nice looking but quite distinctive, I am not modelling anything else outside the railway boundary so there is no where else to put a bus. The reason for more than the two I have is so that when I take photos I can change the buses, and other road vehicles so that the same collection of road transport is not in the same place every photo session. And I would like to model the buses that EFE, Corgi et al don't make.

• Like 3

Interesting, but wrong-headed statistics.  Every road over rail bridge, countrywide, is on an intensively worked bus route, and has been since 1953.  Van Hool McArdle's third law of omni-kinetics (1955) clearly demonstrates that the approach of a train will cause temporary paralysis of the driver of the preceding stagecoach service, rendering that bus immobile astride the bridge.  Hence, every bridge on a model railway layout, in order to be modelled faithfully, must have a bus on it.

Interesting. And there’s me thinking the National,Union Of OO Guage Omnibus Operatives, had been calling a lot of strikes.