Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I got up late this morning - worked nine days straight so far, another nine to go - and rushed out of the house without my reading glasses.

So I cannot see the computer screen or do any actual work, so the office is resounding to the sound of 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBtB5NW56DY&t=2465s

while I wonder what happened to my youth.  reading glasses, effing reading glasses... how did this happen to me?  I was going to live fast and die young

Dear dr g-f, old age comes to all of us eventually, just ask our illustrious leader Clive

Ducks quick to avoid flying brickbats.......

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

Dear dr g-f, old age comes to all of us eventually, just ask our illustrious leader Clive

Ducks quick to avoid flying brickbats.......

Tim T

Hi Tim

Thank you for your kind comments ( I think).

But let us get two things sorted here.

One, I am not old just slightly more advanced in my years than my mind would like me to be. :declare:

Two, people follow leaders. Cor blimey, you lot are in for a real mystery tour because I am clueless where I am going.  :dontknow: :no2:

I have had a headache all day, why did I think of Brexit, I will never get those 30 seconds back? :offtopic:

• RMweb Premium

I got up late this morning - worked nine days straight so far, another nine to go - and rushed out of the house without my reading glasses.

So I cannot see the computer screen or do any actual work, so the office is resounding to the sound of 

while I wonder what happened to my youth.  reading glasses, effing reading glasses... how did this happen to me?  I was going to live fast and die young

Hi Doc

Hopefully you are at home now and can read this.

I am not sure if to say "That is the second worse excuse I have heard for not doing any work" or just " Pillock". I will let you choose.

Don't worry about what happened to your youth, just make sure there is a future for today's youth and that they can enjoy being young and living fast. It don't last but don't tell them.

• RMweb Premium

The excitement at Sheffield Exchange was soon dashed when it was noticed the ballast train was empty. An inspection saloon was spotted as well. So maybe the engineers are taking pity on the station.

attachicon.gif100_5251a.jpg

The inspection saloon. It was a real conversion done by BR so must rate as the smallest BR mk1 passenger carrying coach.

Hi Clive

Snap although painted in a later livery and half the size of yours

post-109-0-05586600-1539866478_thumb.jpeg

The basis for mine was the NGS horse box.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Clive, Paul,

Would either of you care to share a bit of background about the inspection saloon conversions (model and prototype)?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

My model is based on DE321107, which was rebuilt from horse box  E96305. The model started life as a horse box, the Hornby Doublo one. My eldest broke off the opening doors. I saw a photo of the conversion BR done and thought I can do that. I have added windows from a Tri-ang Mk 1 coach where the doors to get the 'orses in and out were and cut new windows in the ends and one the doors each side.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alex

My model is based on DE321107, which was rebuilt from horse box E96305. The model started life as a horse box, the Hornby Doublo one. My eldest broke off the opening doors. I saw a photo of the conversion BR done and thought I can do that. I have added windows from a Tri-ang Mk 1 coach where the doors to get the 'orses in and out were and cut new windows in the ends and one the doors each side.

Hi

Mine is based on the very same vehicle and uses the NGS horse box kit with the horse doors replaced with a piece of 0.25mm (0.010”) plasticard into which I cut the Mk1 windows.

The end windows were cut out of the horse box ends by drilling a hole then filing to shape. Both of these modifications were done before assembly.

The black stripes on the end are from Fox transfers.

The chassis uses the 2mm SA BR W Irons and I have a couple of during construction pictures if interested.

I based it on this photo

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/321107

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How about a Roberts car? Since the Sheffield tramways didn't shut until Nov 1960 it's in period.... You could have moving traffic and fulfil your urge to string up wires

P.S. In my misspent youth I made station platforms out of 1/2" chipboard. Chipboard platforms were one reason it was mis-spent... These days it's been balsa facing walls , and a suitable platform top across bracing. 

I've dabbled enough with inlaid /paved track to know that getting anything to follow the line of the rails exactly is very difficult and laborious , even using paper templates produced by the "brass-rubbing" method. Trying to adjust solid platforms with a plane or a surform is a nightmare

8th of October actually.

Mike.

Your pedantic Sheffield reporter signing in from just outside Chelmsford, well, someone has to.

• RMweb Premium

I feel victimised.

Why I can hear you ask......not.

Well one of them there petition action groups e-mailed me today to sign a petition called "No need for plastic".

What will I model with?

Why ask me to sign of all people?

Plastic waste is not OK, it needs to be recycled............................................ into plastic card for me.

I feel victimised.

Why I can hear you ask......not.

Well one of them there petition action groups e-mailed me today to sign a petition called "No need for plastic".

What will I model with?

Why ask me to sign of all people?

Plastic waste is not OK, it needs to be recycled............................................ into plastic card for me.

Not put in your Plastic Bin then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

8th of October actually.

Mike.

Your pedantic Sheffield reporter signing in from just outside Chelmsford, well, someone has to.

Britain's newest city.

Home of John Dutfield Model Railways

Birthplace of radio.

Ancient Roman town. 

Capital of England during the peasants revolt.

And this bloke use to walk dogs there

post-16423-0-32793200-1539973615_thumb.jpg

Ned, Duke, Buddy, Alby, Gus, Milo, Hugo, Sookie, Millie,Maxwell, Hugo,

Back row, Maddie, Molly and Barkley.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Not put in your Plastic Bin then?

Hi Andy

Sort of serious head on.

When we lived in Chlemsford we had a plastic sack for our plastic waste, a bag for cardboard, a bag for paper, a small (smelly) bin for food waste, a bin for garden waste, a box for tins and glass and a bin for other waste.

Here in middle of nowhere near Louth, we have a bin for household waste and a recycling bin (plastic, cardboard, paper, metal but not glass). We have to pay for a garden waste bin. Glass has to be taken to a recycling centre.

Why not one system for the whole country.

Now the very serious bit, who forgot to put the household waste bin out the other day? Guess who got told off? Guess who has an incinerator? Guess who now has space in the bin?

Britain's newest city.

Birthplace of radio.

Ancient Roman town. 

attachicon.giflast walk.jpg

And they all know who's not in charge... ;)

Hi Andy

Sort of serious head on.

When we lived in Chlemsford we had a plastic sack for our plastic waste, a bag for cardboard, a bag for paper, a small (smelly) bin for food waste, a bin for garden waste, a box for tins and glass and a bin for other waste.

Here in middle of nowhere near Louth, we have a bin for household waste and a recycling bin (plastic, cardboard, paper, metal but not glass). We have to pay for a garden waste bin. Glass has to be taken to a recycling centre.

Why not one system for the whole country.

Now the very serious bit, who forgot to put the household waste bin out the other day? Guess who got told off? Guess who has an incinerator? Guess who now has space in the bin?

We have,

Black =  for none recyclable.

Brown= Wood and Garden waste.

Green with a little Black bin inside = Little Black bin inside = Paper, bottom of big green bin, Tins, Glass and Plastic bottles but NOT plastic Take a way or ready meal Trays.

The Country's GONE MAD. :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Britain's newest city.

Birthplace of radio.

Ancient Roman town. 

attachicon.giflast walk.jpg

Looks more like they're walking you.

• RMweb Premium

Looks more like they're walking you.

There are 14 well behaved dogs, including Maxwell and he is a cocker spaniel. It was my last weekend working as a dog walker and Alby's owner organsied a walk with as many of my customers dogs and some of my friends who regularly walked their dogs with me. I think there was near on 30 dogs in the end which was a really lovely good bye. It is the only job I feel sad about finishing, great dogs to walk, wonderful customers, and I was my own boss.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back to a theme of this thread, music and fun. Again didn't do any modelling or running of trains but spent most the evening watching Youtube and enjoying all kinds of music, last song as I retired to my bed......what isn't there to like about this band.

• Like 2

Back to a theme of this thread, music and fun. Again didn't do any modelling or running of trains but spent most the evening watching Youtube and enjoying all kinds of music, last song as I retired to my bed......what isn't there to like about this band.

The Drummer seems to have an attitude against his kit Clive! :scared:  :nono:  :no:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet: 

I have to admit, as a wiggler myself, but not in their league, I was impressed by the Guitarist, superb.

Edited by Andrew P