Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

The Drummer seems to have an attitude against his kit Clive! :scared:  :nono:  :no:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet: 

I have to admit, as a wiggler myself, but not in their league, I was impressed by the Guitarist, superb.

Which drummer, Wasabi on the drum kit or Kurona on the wadaiko (Japanese traditional drums)? There is a video of the two having a "drum off", which is good and funny not the normal "I can do better than you" and boring.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now that the edition of the Great Model Railway Challenge with the team I helped assemble has taken place I feel I can say why I dropped out of the program/challenge/team.

First off, it wasn't anything to do with the other team members.

I had ended up as team coordinator so was the contact with the TV company. This relationship stated well, but slowly became stressful. I was talking to them two or three times a day about minor things. Some days I talked to the researcher dealing with us more than I did Mrs M. Often what I discussed with  the TV company needed to be disseminated to the other team members, so it started to become a job not an addition to my hobby. I retired to get away from work stresses but they started to drift back.

The TV company kept changing the rules of the competition, most only minor but that often meant a change in direction for how we were planning things. Then they told us what our theme was. Those who saw the program will know it was fire and ice. That totally flummoxed me, all I could think of was a subtle cameo, a fire engine parked up next to an ice cream van with the firemen buying ice creams. Obviously the TV company wanted something with a lot of action. This is not my type of railway modelling and way beyond my imagination. But I stuck with it and tried to facilitate the other team members ideas no matter how wacky they seemed to me. 

The crunch came when the baseboards were delivered. The delivery man stacked the first one against the door of the railway room. After he had gone I moved them into the room, went to close the door and it wouldn't. It had broken away from the hinges. I now had a Mrs M on the warpath....I have told you about my cowards legs well they were in full flight so I told her that I would withdraw and get the TV company to repair the door. I will give the TV company their due and they had a new door fitted within days, and the guy who they got to do it was very good.

Since the recording of the program I have spoken to some of the team and they really enjoyed the experience which to me was the most important thing. Well done guys. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Back to a theme of this thread, music and fun. Again didn't do any modelling or running of trains but spent most the evening watching Youtube and enjoying all kinds of music, last song as I retired to my bed......what isn't there to like about this band.

Hi Clive,

Enjoyed the video.  The drum battle video is brilliant too.

I've seen a few Taiko outfits over the years, so this sort of thing is 'right up my street'.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

Some duff gen led me to spend several hours sat sitting on a formerly magnificent railway station expecting to see a streamlined chuffer.  Instead I had a diet of DMUs.  A few trains had pointy 'engines' at each end, or some had a pointy engine at one end only and a bicycle warehouse at the other.  All were painted in strange swooshy and garish liveries.  It was all ghastly.  How does anyone get interested in railways nowadays?  

In better news, I saw lots of buses on bridges, and some of them were stopped.

• RMweb Premium

Some duff gen led me to spend several hours sat sitting on a formerly magnificent railway station expecting to see a streamlined chuffer.  Instead I had a diet of DMUs.  A few trains had pointy 'engines' at each end, or some had a pointy engine at one end only and a bicycle warehouse at the other.  All were painted in strange swooshy and garish liveries.  It was all ghastly.  How does anyone get interested in railways nowadays?  

In better news, I saw lots of buses on bridges, and some of them were stopped.

Hi Doc

Never trust a trainspotter rumour. What were you expecting to see and where?

Union of South Africa at Doncaster heading for York.  No trainspotter rumour, the actual tour itinerary it was heading that way. 

'After Chesterfield we take the ‘old road’ to Rotherham and continue through Conisbrough to Doncaster. Here we join the East Coast Main Line and can expect a fast run to York, where we arrive in the early afternoon.'

According to real time trains, it went straight on at Swinton instead...

I was literally dischuffed.  Should have guessed, as there were hardly any loonies on the platform.  Only footie fans and Yorkshire folk dressed up for an 80s theme night somewhere*

*apparently its still the 80s in Yorkshire, this was not a special occasion.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Now that the edition of the Great Model Railway Challenge with the team I helped assemble has taken place I feel I can say why I dropped out of the program/challenge/team.

First off, it wasn't anything to do with the other team members.

I had ended up as team coordinator so was the contact with the TV company. This relationship stated well, but slowly became stressful. I was talking to them two or three times a day about minor things. Some days I talked to the researcher dealing with us more than I did Mrs M. Often what I discussed with  the TV company needed to be disseminated to the other team members, so it started to become a job not an addition to my hobby. I retired to get away from work stresses but they started to drift back.

The TV company kept changing the rules of the competition, most only minor but that often meant a change in direction for how we were planning things. Then they told us what our theme was. Those who saw the program will know it was fire and ice. That totally flummoxed me, all I could think of was a subtle cameo, a fire engine parked up next to an ice cream van with the firemen buying ice creams. Obviously the TV company wanted something with a lot of action. This is not my type of railway modelling and way beyond my imagination. But I stuck with it and tried to facilitate the other team members ideas no matter how wacky they seemed to me. 

The crunch came when the baseboards were delivered. The delivery man stacked the first one against the door of the railway room. After he had gone I moved them into the room, went to close the door and it wouldn't. It had broken away from the hinges. I now had a Mrs M on the warpath....I have told you about my cowards legs well they were in full flight so I told her that I would withdraw and get the TV company to repair the door. I will give the TV company their due and they had a new door fitted within days, and the guy who they got to do it was very good.

Since the recording of the program I have spoken to some of the team and they really enjoyed the experience which to me was the most important thing. Well done guys.

Have you got a TARDIS Clive? Took a look after seeing your post. Fire and Ice is next week.

• RMweb Premium

Have you got a TARDIS Clive? Took a look after seeing your post. Fire and Ice is next week.

I asked the team when would they be on and they said the 19th October, the TV company has changed things as the series went on air. I wrote this as some people on here knew I was involved early on but I didn't think my reasons for leaving the team were best made public before the TV show went out. They are my reasons and not to be taken as detrimental to the teams taking part or the TV company. I did view Fridays episode after I wrote the above, I too was surprised to find it wasn't Diesel Dynamos week but I do look forward to seeing it now. 

I was quite impressed how the program was presented.

• RMweb Premium

Union of South Africa at Doncaster heading for York.  No trainspotter rumour, the actual tour itinerary it was heading that way. 

'After Chesterfield we take the ‘old road’ to Rotherham and continue through Conisbrough to Doncaster. Here we join the East Coast Main Line and can expect a fast run to York, where we arrive in the early afternoon.'

According to real time trains, it went straight on at Swinton instead...

I was literally dischuffed.  Should have guessed, as there were hardly any loonies on the platform.  Only footie fans and Yorkshire folk dressed up for an 80s theme night somewhere*

*apparently its still the 80s in Yorkshire, this was not a special occasion.

Hi Doc

Didn't anyone tell you, they all bu99ered off and left you by yourself. You should have had your 80s anorak on then they would have known you were in their gang.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing done on the layout yesterday as I was helping Morty No2 celebrate his 60th birthday with a fry-up on a train hauled by a 9F.

post-16423-0-17805700-1540211228_thumb.jpg

We had a few runs behind this beastie

post-16423-0-15074500-1540211248_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-40789400-1540211309_thumb.jpg

Pity this one was not in steam.

post-16423-0-36535200-1540211357_thumb.jpg

This one was.

post-16423-0-93543400-1540211392_thumb.jpg

The birthday boy.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Clive, Fire and Ice brings 'Game of Thrones' to mind.........

Pete

Hi Pete

I was one of the lucky people who had never seen "Game of Thrones" until my wife and youngest decided to watch a complete series in one bash. It jumped from one thing to another, nothing seemed to be linked despite what they told me was happening. I was lost.

Talking of "Lost", that was another box set they watched, air liner crashes close to an inhabited island that no one knows anything about?

Thank goodness I only watch "Dr Who" at least you know that is real.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Only Connect tonight, followed by University Challenge, then Paddington 24/7.

Stretch the brain, feel inadequate, then wonder at the stupidity of passengers.

Here you go Stu

Paddington, a silent film so you don't have to hear how stupid the passengers are.

Oh no ! I have posted something about the G*R, the gateway to bandit country. :scared: :scared:

• Like 4