Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

I think Ben Jones took a number of pictures of the various models with the display case doors open and I presume they are likely to appear in 'Model Rail'?

On the spot fine for The Stationmaster. ;)

I mentioned the slot in the Tender behind the BR version because that is what photos of the prototype show in 1950-1. Seeing as Bachmann goes to immense trouble to get things right, we can assume the right Tender will be behind the right numbered/liveried models.

• RMweb Gold

On the spot fine for The Stationmaster. ;)

And there was me asking Ben if he had settled into his, hmm, new job.  

I blame it on the train ride over part of what was Britain's first public railway and which in places gave the distinct impression of having little done to it since then (the Up line is recently relaid and looks very pretty, the Down road is distinctly rough in places. 

• Like 2

The model looks loveley and will probably sell very well. £180 is a fair bit of money and a number of people who would like one, simply can't afford it. If it was possible to buy one with 2-4 monthly installments instead of forking out all the money at once, it would possibly sell even better? It would include instead of exclude a number of people, but maybe it's impractical?

Regards,

Stefan

Worth noting, the LNER sample appears to have ramsbottom safety valves. Boilers built from 1923 were fitted with Ross Pops and photographs show from the late 1920s onwards, the majority if not all C1s had Ross Pops fitted.

I know little about Doncaster things, but there's something about the shape of the rear driver splasher and its interface to the front of the firebox that doesn't look quite right to me. (And should there be a vertical line of rivets at the front end of the firebox?)

I like the skinny Doncaster spokes, but it would be nice to see Doncaster wheel bosses as well.

.....first such NRM exclusive model was the prototype Deltic. In 2007 that was £100 for the regular model, or £150 for the premium presentation with a display plinth. Almost simultaneously Bachmann had their new class 47 out as a regular release at £40. I would suggest that the price ratio of the new atlantic to a current regular release is if anything smaller than the ratio in 2007.  The entire first run of 3,000 sold out in nine days from announcement if memory serves. That model established beyond doubt the market for 'something better' in plastic bodied RTR, and we have seen a steady stream of premium RTR models since, which I feel have benefitted the hobby.

Finally, just as the prototype Deltic was so worth it (difficult shape, difficult paint colour, difficult fine detailing, all very challenging for the modeller attempting to get a good DIY result whether kit or scratchbuilt) ....

The Bachmann ProtoDeltic is certainly the benchmark rendition to date, although one or two aspects (mainly the shape of the top of the nose) aren't quite there. I have a sample Bachmann bodyshell together with Brian Hanson's own heavily reworked / corrected Kitmaster body, and I still think Brian's own effort has the right nose shape.

It seemed quite clear that several had bought multiples of the ProtoDeltic in order to flog on eBay. It's all gone quiet there now.

Bachmann and the NRM have been clever in selecting the C1 as the next model. It gives Bachmann good PR to go with the NRM on it....

Isn't Bachmann also working on the ex-LBSC "H2" Atlantic as well? If so, another - broadly similar - Atlantic makes a sort of sense.

• RMweb Gold

The model looks loveley and will probably sell very well. £180 is a fair bit of money and a number of people who would like one, simply can't afford it. If it was possible to buy one with 2-4 monthly installments instead of forking out all the money at once, it would possibly sell even better? It would include instead of exclude a number of people, but maybe it's impractical?

Regards,

Stefan

I entirely agree with the sentiment but surely people can already do this with a credit card?

I entirely agree with the sentiment but surely people can already do this with a credit card?

Indeed, but some of us (like me) have to settle with a debit card! :jester:

Edited by knobhead

• RMweb Gold

I know little about Doncaster things,

SNIP

I like the skinny Doncaster spokes, but it would be nice to see Doncaster wheel bosses as well.

I am having a slight problem with reconciling these two things, frankly. The vast majority of RMwebbers wouldn't know a Doncaster wheel boss if he got up and hit them in the face!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We talk about a £180 loco, but if you don't exercise the option and part with your cash now and only pay £50 deposit , then in fact, with the very base level of postage you are talking the £197 loco!

We talk about a £180 loco, but if you don't exercise the option and part with your cash now and only pay £50 deposit , then in fact, with the very base level of postage you are talking the £197 loco!

£17 postage is for Next Day delivery (in fact `Standard` delivery is shown as £0).

Edited by garyeagger

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's fair to categorise the different types of tender as 'early' or 'late' particularly depending on hand hold cut outs (or other features) - I think it's more that some locos had one type while others had the other, both of which were used throughout the 'Atlantic's' careers (and no doubt they got swapped around between locos during their lives).  I used to know more about this than I do now, having several GN locos in my '1930s' collection, but I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I knew!  I was having a quick look at 'Locomotives Illustrated' no. 14 last night (appreciate not a lot of people may have that!), and for example 1401 pictured at Nottingham Victoria, said to be 'about 1923' but with the loco in GN livery, has a tender with hand hold cutouts, while 1422 photographed at the same place, undated but also in GN livery (but with a GC tank lettered 'L&NER' in the background so presumably around 1923), has a tender with no hand holds.  It's as ever, a question of finding a picture (or other record) of the loco at the time you want the model to represent, and using that.

Just add to Steve's post. The two styles of tender are both GNR Type B tenders, not only did they have or not have the hand hold cut outs but they came in two wheel bases. I found this out when researching about ex LNER tenders converted to snowploughs.......£180 is a bit step just to rebuild the tender into a snowplough :no: :no:

• RMweb Gold

Worth noting, the LNER sample appears to have ramsbottom safety valves. Boilers built from 1923 were fitted with Ross Pops and photographs show from the late 1920s onwards, the majority if not all C1s had Ross Pops fitted.

My apologies for the cr*p phot but it's a part crop of a none too good original BUT on my 'puter screen (if not on yours when you enlarge it) can clearly be seen a pair of Ross Pop safety valves.  Sorry about the abysmal lack of detail in the views of the tenders but it might help with your earlier question possibly?

post-6859-0-57802000-1406732689_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

And another none too brillant (aka abysmal) phot showing - in far from their best light - two cab mouldings, two separate smokebox/saddle mouldings, the boiler, and 4 black blobs which are actually smokebox doors.  Apologies for not posting these previously but as they are so poor I withheld them however they might now be of use perhaps?

post-6859-0-16402800-1406732997_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am almost certain (unless the Post office say otherwise and put up their prices)  the p&p will be £7.50 and that will guarantee next day delivery (UK Mainland only)- from the day we send them of course!

£17 postage is for Next Day delivery (in fact `Standard` delivery is shown as £0).

If you pay in full now p&p is free

• Like 1

My apologies for the cr*p phot but it's a part crop of a none too good original BUT on my 'puter screen (if not on yours when you enlarge it) can clearly be seen a pair of Ross Pop safety valves.  Sorry about the abysmal lack of detail in the views of the tenders but it might help with your earlier question possibly?

attachicon.gifDSCF7771.jpg

Hi Mike

That is very useful however, however...StuartTrains posted that this was the BR version which you have shown here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88328-Bachmann-nrmlocomotionmodelscom-gnr-ivatt-c1/?p=1532281

the LNER version he posted to me....actually looks like another prototype example of 251 in preserved condition, look at the chimney position.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88328-Bachmann-nrmlocomotionmodelscom-gnr-ivatt-c1/?p=1532284

If the LNER version is infact what has been suggested to be the BR version, then all is correct. :)