N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

An absolutely awesome sight. Really glad I invested in this. Excellent work to all involved.

What was the heating of the model like after running during a days show? I remember issues arising from the Dapol voyager when run at some exhibitions I did. The model would overheat and seize up without careful monitoring.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It's been a tiring but rewarding weekend.  The SECC is a good venue for a show with accommodation nearby and far better lighting than many other larger shows.

post-420-0-02522200-1456690271_thumb.jpg

I am incredibly grateful to Arran Aird and the rest of the East Neuk MRC (L to R Helen, Duncan and John) for kindly allowing us to run the Pendolino extensively on their wonderful layout Law Junction all weekend.  It certainly was the perfect backdrop!

post-420-0-31298900-1456690296_thumb.jpg

The Pendolino performed well.   I did not notice any overheating (and I did handle the model pretty frequently) and apart from the minor modifications to the couplers there is little to do.  In general the couplers did behave, offering commendably tight close-coupling, but one of the components is flimsier than I would like and I want to beef it up slightly.

post-420-0-03439900-1456690299_thumb.jpg

Of course, this was only handpainted and missing printed details, cantrail stripes, headlight outlines etc etc but the consensus seemed to be that it looked right. It was also missing windscreen wipers and etched pantograph heads (and the pantograph cars were orientated the wrong way round) while the wheels are unblackened and the glazing untinted.  All these small points will be amended on the production models.

post-420-0-99285000-1456690291_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-43940800-1456690294_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-41171700-1456691204_thumb.jpg

This is the full nine car set.  The plan now is to test it almost to destruction on tighter radii, reverse curves, short turnouts etc.

post-420-0-22805900-1456690301_thumb.jpg

I know Rapido have identified some changes they'd like too, and once we are all happy there will be a revised sample to confirm all is well and then we hope to be able to close the order book and move to production.  If you still haven't ordered your Pendolino there is still time, and to avoid missing out you could register at our website to receive email notifications just before the deadline closes.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 13

An excellent model, and the perfect layout upon which to show it off.

I am sure that those people who saw the Pendolino in action over the weekend will agree that this model is going to be something special, once the required changes are implemented. The wait will be more than worth while.

Congratulations to Ben and Mike for having the courage to put their ideas into practise.

It's looking really smart! I'm sure it's been picked up, but the grey on the door stripes is a touch light. Presume it's just to do with it being hand finished?

The rest of the colours look spot on. Out of interest, how were the colours specified? Did Virgin give RAL details or was there some kind of matching done to the prototype?

This should illustrate my point on the doors...

20014247413_eb04e5557a_z.jpg

390122 nameplate by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Edited by ash39

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just to be clear, this is model was painted in Canada to just check that the main colours (red, white, yellow, black) lie in the correct place on the nose and therefore to confirm, indirectly, that the nose is the right shape. This is part of the checking process I mentioned earlier in the thread.

As well as the light grey on the doors, the yellow is a tiny fraction too orangey - I suspect it may be a similar shade such as UP yellow that was in the office!

On the factory painted models the stripes wil be to the colours we have had specified by Virgin.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

The finished models should be absolutely superb if this slightly unfinished, hand painted sample is anything to go by. Everything certainly looks 'right' to my eyes. 

However, I can see it is going to end up costing me more than the model. I can't really run it on Ropley, so the only logical option is a new layout depicting a section of the WCML.

Hmmm.......

Tom. 

• Like 1

Hi Ben and Mike...

I hope you'll don't mind but I'd like to make a suggestion.

I think the model is absolutely outstanding, and the only place where I see can be improved is the headlights. Will it be possible to actually add a bit of dark grey paint before the headlight cluster lenses are added? On the model it looks too bright which IMHO hampers the overall look of the model. I think if a nice dark grey base coat can be applied during the paint process then it will be much better. Even a nice black outline.

4878322_orig.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello MGR Hooper,

Thanks for the feedback.

The interior of the headlights has been specified to be a dark grey and the rims will be printed black.  The headlights were working on the sample, but were not bright enough, and this is being addressed too.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello MGR Hooper,

Thanks for the feedback.

The interior of the headlights has been specified to be a dark grey and the rims will be printed black.  The headlights were working on the sample, but were not bright enough, and this is being addressed too.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the quick response Ben.

The finished models should be absolutely superb if this slightly unfinished, hand painted sample is anything to go by. Everything certainly looks 'right' to my eyes. 

However, I can see it is going to end up costing me more than the model. I can't really run it on Ropley, so the only logical option is a new layout depicting a section of the WCML.

Hmmm.......

Tom. 

Tom, if your Pendolino needs to stretch its legs come I can organise a day or two for you on Kinlet Wharf (though I suspect yours won't be the only one!)

Edited by Will J
  • Like 1

Tom, if you Pendolino needs to stretch its legs come I can organise a day or two for you on Kinlet Wharf (though I suspect yours won't be the only one!)

Have to fight with the other 5 we have on there :D

I really think the new layout needs OHLE!

Alistair

Have to fight with the other 5 we have on there :D

I really think the new layout needs OHLE!

Alistair

Five, wow! My new Northern Belle is going to need to look good to find itself fiddle yard space!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Pendolinos reach full 'Wharf Speed' on the layout!

Tom, if your Pendolino needs to stretch its legs come I can organise a day or two for you on Kinlet Wharf (though I suspect yours won't be the only one!)

Luckily myself and Ben have a vested interest in Horseley Fields which just so happens to be WCML!! We have a running day planned for Friday ;)

• Like 1

Having had a closer look at the model in the various videos now floating around, it looks like the coaches aren't lining up well vertically, you can see notable dips especially between the first and second. I presume this has been noticed and is either a consequence of this being an incomplete model or (dare I suggest such a thing) the track on law junction?

Does look utterly stunning otherwise though

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

The couplers comprise a vertical peg and a horizontal fork that clips around the peg.  The designers have tried to make this as fine and unobtrusive as possible.  While the peg works fine, the fork is just a little too flimsy for my taste, so is being beefed up.

Because the fork was too flimsy it has a tendency to distort very slightly in the sample and this was responsible for the uneven level between the first and second vehicle that you spotted and also, between another pair of vehicles, a wider-than-intended gap.

Strengthening the design of the fork should correct this though of course we will test the modified parts thoroughly to be sure.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everything is going well with the testing.

Looking at pictures of 390151, it appears it carried just the 'Business is Great' motif on the driving cars until around mid-2015, but it now carries full wraps on 4 of the intermediate vehicles (my OCD struggles with the fact it's not symmetrical!!). The vehicles are all different and quite complex looking!

Is the model planned to have the full current wrap?

On the driving coach underneath the 1st door (crew door I presume) it has a big piece painted silver on the livery sample with triangular sides part of the bodyshell, The Hornby model does not have that, can you please tell me why yours has and the Hornby model does not have it ?.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Piranha,

On the prototype the driver door has three steps that extend out from the body to track level. These have yellow tips and can be seen in the Pendo pic in post 1008.  The upper step is enclosed in a trapezium shaped fairing that extends down from the bodyshell.  On the prototype it is painted black, and it will be on the model too.

As I have said previously, this sample was handpainted to give us an indication of how it will look, but is not representative of the factory paint finish.

This image is a section from the livery drawings that have been sent to the factory and shows the area involved:

post-420-0-56527600-1457597732.jpg

We are now looking forward to receiving a sample with the revised couplers, and factory painted too.

The Business livery will feature the union flag end cars but not the centre car wraps.  Since it's run in both variants it seems easier to add these with vinyls or decals (as on the real thing) than to remove them.

Also, as some will have seen at the SECC, Rapido have produced light bars similar to their "easy-peasy" light bars available for their US stock, but designed to be a drop in for the Pendolino.  The model as supplied will have working table lamps in the first class cars, but the light bars will be available separately to be purchased singly, or in packs suitable for 9-car and 11-car trains.  Please look out for these on our website.

Here is an image showing the light bar installed and working:

post-420-0-08935200-1457598420_thumb.jpg

Please bear in mind too that on the production models the glazing will be tinted, so the effect will be more subtle.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5