N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

The chassis block wil be painted black, and the Windows will be tinted. On the real thing there is only one table lamp in coach K (the driving car at the first class end) and we took the view that this had to be forfeited for reliable running.

Dave - if you wanted to light the cab then my thought is that it might be easier to use the lighting unit that is fitted in the end for the marker lights to do this, but it would involve some modelling, or even just fit a small LED in their taking power feeds from the split frame chassis.

Thanks Ben,

That all makes sense and I can now see the size of the chassis from your York photos as well. It looked like there was more in there from the Glasgow photos but I was seeing chassis and wiring as tables and lights!

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Any close up pictures of the sample (if that was the factory finished one?)

It is not factory finished - it is a hand painted sample. I'll try to get some good pictures of it this weekend.  There are some pictures of it on our website.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid it just becomes too complicated offering so many different variants (we are offering RTR not bespoke creations!), particularly as they only started de-vinyling the doors after we had started work on the model. We've tried to offer people choice with some of the special liveries and a large number of set names/numbers.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hello Sarah,

No, this was the handpainted sample. The next sample is the one that should have corrected couplers and a few other very small niggles fixed. It probably will arrive unpainted, I am told. Now we know the colours sit right the main thing is getting it operationally reliable and robust.

The factory wants to know we are happy with performance before worrying too much about the livery. That is the last stage of production, so will be the final stage of approval.

Re. Grey doors: Much easier to make stripey doors grey than vice versa! And I am not even sure which, if any, of the versions we are doing have been treated.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben when you get the chance could you try and grab some photos of the light inserts for the coaches and with them working. As I haven't been convinced with the Dapol or aftermarket ones and would like to see how these compare before I consider them.

I would like to offer a weekend of running it on Kinlet Wharf at the Sutton Coldfield show at the end of April. If you want to give it an interesting test with hand built points and under full OHLE. Not that I want to play with it myself, strictly as a comprehensive testing session.

Cheers

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know why the units are starting to appear with out their stripes? Or is this just a particular unit that's been repainted and has yet to have them applied?

David

I believe the doors on the Pendolino fleet are being upgraded, and as they are they loose the stripes. I've seen several sets de-striped recently. 

Tom. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

PENDOLINO DEADLINE DAY JUNE &th

Hello all,

The factory has revised the design of the couplers.  A sample is expected very soon (in the next two weeks or so) and once it is tested to our satisfaction we will be authorising the model for production and closing the order book.

We will be closing the order book for these models on June 7th - immediately after DEMU Showcase - so if you still wish to order a Pendolino please consider doing it soon.  

The models will all feature powered cars at both ends, through electrical power couplers, working table lights in first class vehicles, full interiors and a removable front panel, with clip in NEM coupler, to allow for prototypical "drags" by Thunderbird locos over non-electrified lines.  Considering published prices of other upcoming models we feel the 9-car train (DC) for £300 or an 11-car train (DC) for £335 represents pretty good value.

Rapido tell us there are significant numbers of modellers experience what they are caling "non-buyer remorse" and wish they'd ordered an APT-E; so if you aren't quite ready to commit then please subscribe at our website without any obligation and receive email reminders direct to you, to ensure you don't miss out. 

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

PENDOLINO DEADLINE DAY JUNE &th

Hello all,

The factory has revised the design of the couplers.  A sample is expected very soon (in the next two weeks or so) and once it is tested to our satisfaction we will be authorising the model for production and closing the order book.

We will be closing the order book for these models on June 7th - immediately after DEMU Showcase - so if you still wish to order a Pendolino please consider doing it soon.  

The models will all feature powered cars at both ends, through electrical power couplers, working table lights in first class vehicles, full interiors and a removable front panel, with clip in NEM coupler, to allow for prototypical "drags" by Thunderbird locos over non-electrified lines.  Considering published prices of other upcoming models we feel the 9-car train (DC) for £300 or an 11-car train (DC) for £335 represents pretty good value.

Rapido tell us there are significant numbers of modellers experience what they are caling "non-buyer remorse" and wish they'd ordered an APT-E; so if you aren't quite ready to commit then please subscribe at our website without any obligation and receive email reminders direct to you, to ensure you don't miss out. 

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Great news that this model is nearly ready to go to full production, can't wait for mine to arrive when they are ready. In terms of balances due, will an email go out to pay the balance once the model is ready to be shipped like the APT-e?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

Great news that this model is nearly ready to go to full production, can't wait for mine to arrive when they are ready. In terms of balances due, will an email go out to pay the balance once the model is ready to be shipped like the APT-e?

Best regards,

Jeremy

No, it will go out well before then (we are not as well-funded as Locomotion!), but all the info will be on our website.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I am not quite sure what you mean. The models we are producing were selected some time ago by a vote among those who, at the time, had signed up and they are:

9-car (all standard livery):

post-420-0-11851800-1462741789_thumb.jpg

390001 Virgin Pioneer

390005 City of Wolverhampton

390006 Tate Liverpool

390045 101 Squadron

11-car (standard livery):

post-420-0-11851800-1462741789_thumb.jpg

390114 City of Manchester

390122 Penny the Pendolino

390138 City of London

11-car special liveries:

post-420-0-14579200-1462741788_thumb.jpg

390103 Virgin Hero (Poppy Pendolino)

post-420-0-68986500-1462741785_thumb.jpg

390104 Alstom Pendolino (Alstom livery)

post-420-0-17860000-1462741787_thumb.jpg

390151 Virgin Ambassador (Business is Great Britain livery)

All of these models can be ordered via our website. If you have paid your deposit, or paid in full, and have not yet specified your choice...

(EDITED DUE TO INCOMPETENCE. SORRY MIKE!) ...we will email you to make your selection in due course.

Incidentally, the above artwork is representative. Ignore the front coupler - this was depicted for completeness but in normal operation will be supplied in the box, in case you want to depict a "drag" and not on the model!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What about those of us from the other side of the pond? I ordered mine via Rapido way during the kickstarter phase.  I have an account, but no orders show up.

Hi Jon,

I don't know how Rapido are planning to organise their side of things - I'd recommend emailing them in the first instance.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

What about those of us from the other side of the pond? I ordered mine via Rapido way during the kickstarter phase.  I have an account, but no orders show up.

I'm a bit confused by this - during the Kickstarter period the only place you could order was Kickstarter. Following the end of the Kickstarter period, Rapido took pre-orders for outside Europe and we (Revolution Trains) took orders for inside Europe.  I would check if you have a confirmation email and drop an email to Rapido to check that they have your order in their system.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Jim,

I am not quite sure what you mean.  The models we are producing were selected some time ago by a vote among those who, at the time, had signed up and they are:

cheers

Ben A.

Ben

I was thinking about the final decision about which of the four set numbers I wanted. The one I voted for isn't being done.

I've just seen that your reply covers this: I actually logged-in to my account yesterday, but didn't notice anything about amending my order to one of the selected names. I'll have another look tonight.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

I'm a bit confused by this - during the Kickstarter period the only place you could order was Kickstarter. Following the end of the Kickstarter period, Rapido took pre-orders for outside Europe and we (Revolution Trains) took orders for inside Europe.  I would check if you have a confirmation email and drop an email to Rapido to check that they have your order in their system.

Cheers, Mike

Sorry, I meant kickstarter pricing.

Order was placed with Rapido on Dec 26 2014.