N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

My lad has got a DC version on order, but wants to fit decoders. Is there a 'preferred' decoder that will definitely fit? I rather think he has some saving up to do.

• RMweb Gold

My lad has got a DC version on order, but wants to fit decoders. Is there a 'preferred' decoder that will definitely fit? I rather think he has some saving up to do.

No there is no preferred decoders. It will require 2 x 6-pin decoders so pick your decoders of choice.  My personal preference is always to pick things with good motor control (Zimo or CT are my preferred choices).

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

So I've spent half the bank holiday weekend trying to think up a solution for people to:
- pay balances on Pendolinos
- select names/set numbers (whether they've paid in full or paid a deposit)

I've come to the conclusion that the way I set things up when we started 18 months ago was not great and that there are so many permutations that is virtually impossible to find a one size fits all solution.

I can combine people paying balances with set selection, but there is no "nice" method for people to pay off balances (unlike say the 320/321). So I am still working on that.

For people who have paid in full only - you can select your set name/number(s) here (it isn't pretty!):

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/pendolino-set-number-and-name-choice/

Please only use this form if you paid in full and please only select a 9-car name if you purchased a 9-car set or an 11-car name if you purchased an 11-car set. If you don't then it causes you and me more admin and it may delay your order.

Cheers, Mike

PS thankfully as we've moved from project to project our systems get better and more automated so many of the admin problems of the Pendolino won't recur! There is always more to do to make things even better.  I've still to crack the VAT/no-VAT settings for non-EU customers - please bear with me as this is not going to be solved before this weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Yesterday at lunchtime we received via FedEx the latest Pendolino sample. We should have had it on Friday but they sent it to the wrong depot after it landed!

post-420-0-95336300-1465117719_thumb.jpeg

It's been painted in the Virgin base silver colour and shows clear evidence of the tooling being "tightened up" compared to the first, hand painted sample we received.

The headlight clusters are now much cleaner and finer, the etched windscreen wipers are shown and the glazing is crystal clear all round. We thought the first sample was good, but this one shows significant improvement.

The couplers are still not quite there, but we had been told by Rapido that this sample was sent to us for the show and that the next sample we receive, very soon, will be the final approval sample.

We are certainly satisfied with all the tool work now, and once we have confirmed the coupler issues have been sorted we will be moving to production.

The deadline for ordering the Penodlino is midnight this Tuesday June 7th.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

Hello Ben & Mike

First, a very big thank you both for all your hard work and dedication to bring us models we could only have dreamt about a year or so ago, long may you continue, 365 please!

I have a few questions I hope you or others can answer for me. I have tried to find the information through previous posts so apologies in advance if the questions have already been answered!

I ordered and paid the 50% deposit for 2x 11 car DCC sound Pendolino sets at the early bird price. I understand Mike is working hard to resolve I.T. issues so we can pay the balance and specify the names of the sets we want! If we are unable to complete our orders by midnight Tuesday 07.06.2016 will we still keep the original early bird price? Is the deadline only for people placing new orders?

KFA, I understand the early bird price for this ends Midnight on the 30.06.2016! I have the information on the six proposed versions from 1987-88 which I assume is version 1 & 4 but would you be able to supply the dates the versions changed liveries? My proposed layout is 2000 to date so I'm trying to avoid buy stock pre this date. 

321, again I understand the early bird price deadline for ordering is midnight on the 30.06.2016 still trying to figure out what liveries to order? These sets can be ordered using the 50% deposit method as per Pendolino, will the balance have to be paid by 30.06.2016 or again is this deadline just to place the order? just trying to work out cash flow!

I ordered 69 TEA's (couldn't decide on which ones to get!) I must say from the production pictures they look fantastic and I cannot wait to see them in the flesh!  I know this was not a question just sharing!

Look forward to your replies, Kind regards Peter  

the 7-6-16 date is for new orders so that production numbers can be generated. The price that was given on the day you paid the deposit, is the price you will pay.

I'm assuming that the KFA and 321 will follow the same route as the pendolino in that they will request the outstanding 50% once the model is just about ready to go into production. So you have to pay the early bird / 50% deposit now and pay in X number of months when it's due for production. The 30th deadline is only when the price goes up, not when order books close.

Sorry can't help on the KFA livery question. I'm sure someone else can do that bit might be best to ask in the KFA topic.

That's a lot of TEAs you've got there!

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

Sorry been away all weekend showing off Pendolinos and tank wagons at DEMU's Showcase exhibition.  Just back and had some food.

Deposits for the Pendolino - you will get an email from me early next week with details of how to pay your balance and select your name(s).  I've got to work out the best deadline for that yet, but as Ali said you will pay the amount you were quoted. The 7 June deadline is for completely new orders.

The 30 June date is not a deadline as such - it is purely when the prices of the KFAs and 321 will increase slightly to their "normal" price - we are just trying to incentivise/reward our customers. The 321 has a deposit (and much better balance system than the Pendolino) option, the KFAs are just straight orders for the full amount IIRC.

KFA liveries - I suspect the only two liveries that would not have been around by 2000 would be 1 and 4 - liveries 3 and 6 would have come in at some point during your modelling period but certainly in 2000 many would still be liveries 2 and 5. I'm sure Ben will be along at some point t to correct me!

Cheers, Mike

Hello all,

Yesterday at lunchtime we received via FedEx the latest Pendolino sample. We should have had it on Friday but they sent it to the wrong depot after it landed!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It's been painted in the Virgin base silver colour and shows clear evidence of the tooling being "tightened up" compared to the first, hand painted sample we received.

The headlight clusters are now much cleaner and finer, the etched windscreen wipers are shown and the glazing is crystal clear all round. We thought the first sample was good, but this one shows significant improvement.

The couplers are still not quite there, but we had been told by Rapido that this sample was sent to us for the show and that the next sample we receive, very soon, will be the final approval sample.

We are certainly satisfied with all the tool work now, and once we have confirmed the coupler issues have been sorted we will be moving to production.

The deadline for ordering the Penodlino is midnight this Tuesday June 7th.

Cheers

Ben A.

The detail on that sample looks seriously sharp Ben. Well done to you both for getting it this far and look forward to seeing the final painted sample.......

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Hopefully the banner messages will have rammed the point home, but just to be sure please note today is Pendolino Deadline day.

Only orders received by midnight tonight will be fulfilled.

If you haven't yet ordered then please do so now. And in the light of experience with our TEA deadline, and poor conectivity especiallly with mobile devices, we recommend not leaving it to 2355 to order!!

Please note those who have already paid their deposits will receive emails asking for the balance shortly.

Although we are obviously nearing the end of the tunnel we can't say exactly when the models will arrive - assuming an even split between 9 and 11 car trains we are looking at manufacturing, painting, and assembling at least 10,000 separate cars and we have no idea how long this will take!

Thanks again to everyone who has supported this project, ordered a model (or more!) and made it happen.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

To those of you signed up for our newsletter you should just have received details of how to pay balances - I'll post the details here when I get home.

If you are not signed up for our newsletter (you should have said yes!) but purchased a Pendolino then I will email you later.

Cheers, Mike

To those of you signed up for our newsletter you should just have received details of how to pay balances - I'll post the details here when I get home.

If you are not signed up for our newsletter (you should have said yes!) but purchased a Pendolino then I will email you later.

Cheers, Mike

Just been on the website, there's an icon to click to pay balances. Should we use that?

I'm tempted to get another unit too......!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Question: I have received an email from yourselves about how to pay the balance of my pendolino order (I haven't ordered any)! I have though ordered some OO gauge tea tanks. My only concern is that your computer system thinks my order is for a pendolino! I don't want to miss out on the tea tanks.

Can you conform this is either an anomaly, or a generic email to all customers.

If you need more info pm me.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Just been on the website, there's an icon to click to pay balances. Should we use that?
I'm tempted to get another unit too......!!!!!

You need to follow the instructions as there are many balance buttons - I'll post them here in a second.

Question: I have received an email from yourselves about how to pay the balance of my pendolino order (I haven't ordered any)! I have though ordered some OO gauge tea tanks. My only concern is that your computer system thinks my order is for a pendolino! I don't want to miss out on the tea tanks.

Can you conform this is either an anomaly, or a generic email to all customers.

It went out to most customers - you can always check your order on our website.

From the email:

Nuts - that is what happens when  you are tired! The links are correct but obviously the second part is incorrect.

Apologies

Mike

• RMweb Gold

OK, the (corrected) process is as follows - it looks much more complicated than it actually is:

There are three potential groups you might fall into - the process will differ slightly depending on which applies to you:

- Paid in full
- Paid deposit before 1 February 2015 (our Kickstarter/Earlybird period)
- Paid deposit after 1 February 2015

Please check carefully which group applies to you as if you pick the wrong one you will cause yourself more work (and us!) and it may delay your order.

Paid in full
Please login to your account on our website - check your order and make a note of your order number.
If you have already placed an order and paid in full then you can make your set selection here. We would be grateful if you could pick your set(s) as soon as possible (but no later than 8 July 2016). Does not apply to 5-car sets of the Poppy Pendolino.

Paid a deposit (in the EU)
Please login to your account on our website then:
1. check your order and make a note of your order number.
2. This is where it starts to get a little complicated - make a note of what you ordered (and paid). 
3. Check whether you paid any Postage & Packing - if you did not P&P with your deposit then you will need to add it when you pay your balance.
4. The next step depends on when you paid your deposit:
a.If you paid your deposit before 1 February 2015 then you were eligible for our Kickstarter/Earlybird price - please go to our webshop here and pick the right balance(s) to match your deposit.
b.If you paid your deposit after 1 February 2015 - please go to our webshop here and pick the right balance(s) to match your deposit.
The item and amount should be the same as your original order for your deposit.
5. When you select the correct balance to pay then you will be asked to select your name/number choice(s). This is not applicable if you ordered a 5-car set or the Poppy Pendolino.
6. Please include the order number for your deposit in the notes of your balance order so that we can match the two orders together.
7. If you want to place any upgrades (for lightbars, DCC sound, or to upgrade from 9 to 11 cars) or to add shipping you can do so at the same time.
8. Relax and have a cold drink!

DEADLINE FOR BALANCES: 8 JULY 2016 
(NB it may be possible for us to extend this deadline slightly but we will not know until we receive the final sample for approval - we do not want to have to delay production!).
(NB 2 if you are outside the EU but still in Europe we will be in touch if you need to pay a balance. If you are outside Europe then Rapido will be in touch!)

And breathe...

Cheers, Mike

PS we know this is far from an ideal system (it isn't for us either) but please remember that we do this in our very limited spare time, that this was our first project and that we have improved our systems.

Is there as of yet any plans as to what the packaging is going to look like? Are the carriages going to be individually boxed as per Farish's style of multiple units or more of a bookset like Kato or Dapol?

Thanks,

Connor

• RMweb Gold

Hi Connor,

The packaging hasn't yet been finalised but with 9- or 11-car trains being the majority of the sets we are producing then I think some kind of bookset is the most likely.  It's certainly what Rapido and we have in mind.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Some of Kato booksets have the space for the extra vehicles to be inserted in them. Not sure how much extra that would cost but would be a nice way of doing it for the 11 car if the 2 coaches do come in a spearate box.

• RMweb Premium

At a push you can fit a 10-car unit into one of those book sets, but the carriages were shorter; the standard capacity looks to be 8. In reality you are looking at two book sets for the 11-coach set if after the A4 type. Kato produce a set for longer trains, but are shorter and thicker than the A4 type (holding carriages on both sleeves); and may not manage the full 11-car as I seem to recall they held 5 carriages each side.

• RMweb Gold

At a push you can fit a 10-car unit into one of those book sets, but the carriages were shorter; the standard capacity looks to be 8. In reality you are looking at two book sets for the 11-coach set if after the A4 type. Kato produce a set for longer trains, but are shorter and thicker than the A4 type (holding carriages on both sleeves); and may not manage the full 11-car as I seem to recall they held 5 carriages each side.

Bigger box?

I was probably thinking like some of the USA 13 coach N scale sets etc.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that is true. I have a Morning Daylight set which lives in one of those big boxes. As it is a one-off for me, it is a bit awkward to store - I much prefer those book sets...far easier to store and transport. In those practical terms, would it be better for two book sets? That is how the vast majority of my Bullets are stored and it works well.

• Like 1