N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

and some say nah you cant see lights in day time conditions so its not worth it.  that video says otherwise with half the layout in the light.   RTshould rightfully be pleased with the results here.  id like to see more N gauge items with full lighting features like this. trying to retro fit into these tiny models would be a nightmare.  some folk will be overjoyed running their Pendo around their layout in the dark!

Great model but not my era so havent made a purchase but can still appreciate the detail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to all who came to chat to us at our stand at the N Gauge International Show at Leamington over the weekend. It was great to see and talk to so many supporters and backers.

For N gauge enthusiasts it's arguably the most important show of the year and because our crowdfunding ethos relies heavily on credibility, trust and transparency attendance is a must.

post-420-0-38351000-1473664280_thumb.jpeg

Left to right are Paul (our technical expert) Mike and Gareth.

Gareth incidentally is the man behind Project Railway Honour, in which Freightliner have agreed to name one of the first of their Class 66s to receive the new Genessee and Wyoming livery to honour Britain's war dead, and Dapol are to produce a limited edition model - the proceeds of which will go to forces charities. See here: http://www.projectrailwayhonour.com

Those who saw the Pendolino will know that we have now sorted the pesky coupler problem, after three iterations, each taking several weeks of redesign, head scratching and testing.

We are now finalising some of the chassis performance issues around the interface between the DCC Sound chip and the motor performance, and then it'll be time for final painted samples and production.

The most common question all weekend was "when will the model be here?" I don't know how long it will take the factory to manufacture 10,000 separate vehicles but my best guess is that customers will start receiving models in Q1 next year, meaning that from when we first laser scanned the train to delivery will be a fraction under two years.

Compared to others, and not withstanding some of the development issues, I think Rapido have done a pretty amazing job to get this far so quickly, and we are very happy with the work they have done.

The models are still available to order (that was the second most popular question asked all weekend!) but the order book will probably be closing in the next 6 weeks or so.

Going forward, once we have delivered models to customers (in another thread supporters will see that our TEA tankers have left the factory and are being shipped here) then we will be confident about offering more powered models and knowing now what we did not know before I am hopeful that we can start to bring the development time for our new models down, although we guarantee we will not rush development as we are determined to deliver reliable and high quality models.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello.

Can you tell me when the order book is likely to close on these models and the class 321?

Just so I know when to get money in place by.

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

The Pendolino order book will stay open until we are ready to start production, which will probably be just after the Warley show in November.

The 321 is only at the CAD stage, and the order book for this model will not be closing for some time. However, going forward we are going to have to start whittling away some of the less popular liveries.

Having said that, your best way to avoid missing out on anything is to register without obligation on our website - then you'll receive email updates, newsletters and reminders that will ensure you are fully informed!

Cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For those patiently awaiting their Pendolino (including me!) there is some news in the latest issue of Rapido's UK newsletter. See here:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101318906379&ca=8ff4e781-15b9-4202-a07e-ea1976431a09

We are hoping to have the "final" approval sample running on stand C31 that we are sharing with Rapido at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC this weekend - if Rapido can get it to us!

Come and see us if ytou're visiting the show. It is the UK's premier model railway event and we feel attendance is a must so we can talk to our backers, answer any questions and show the progress we are making on our various projects.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Latest EP's arrived during the day at Warley and were on the stand. Looking good. Had a chat with Ben about Pendo's, TEA's, 321s and ancient burial sites. Also excited about OO TEA EP's which had also just arrived. With these and Hornby's positive announcements it was a good day to be at Warley :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Pendolino sample arrived around midday on Saturday (no thanks to DHL and huge thanks to Terry Wynne and his son who valiantly retrieved the sample from DHL and brought it to the show!).  After a few moments of terror that the full set wouldn't run, it was rectified by actually putting the coaches in the right order - doh!

The set is on its way to Canada for final testing and debugging and (confession alert) I know I didn't take any photos of it though perhaps Ben did!  The main changes are beneath the "hood" ie the drive train and the couplings. The bodyshell mouldings we are really happy with though we noticed that even some of the body mouldings have been improved from the last sample and the fit and assembly was even better!

We'll see if we can get some photos/video once it arrives in Toronto.

Cheers, Mike

PS really nice to meet you Jeremy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

Just to keep the appetites sated.....here's a pic of the Poppylino in the winter sun taken yesterday...only a fairly low resolution shot, so apologies.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

post-6763-0-50749200-1482400441_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 2

Mike,

The reason that I posed the question is that I have two full sets on order for use on our club layout, Westgate Park and we have received our first invite to our home club's exhibition in May 2017. I was hoping that I might have them to show off which looks very unlikely on the basis of your production start date.

If by chance Mr Ando is reading this - could we borrow your pre-production Pendolino please?

Happy Christmas

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a quick heads-up to remind anyone interested that today is deadline day for ordering an N Gauge Revolution/Rapido Trains Pendolino.

The order book closes at midnight, and production will begin immediately.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great news on production starting Ben, really looking forward to getting my hands on the Pendolino, even though it'll look a bit out of place on a preserved railway in Hampshire!

Also got my 92 order in, so may have to give some thought to a display plank of some description!

Tom.  

Great news on production starting Ben, really looking forward to getting my hands on the Pendolino, even though it'll look a bit out of place on a preserved railway in Hampshire!

Also got my 92 order in, so may have to give some thought to a display plank of some description!

Tom.  

Maybe a WCML layout as your next project!

Hi Ben,

Beginning to panic now as I have changed address details in my account but the order still shows my old address. Does this mean my order will go to old address? I have a couple of orders with old address and a few with new address on the order details when i view them. Hoping you can put my mind at rest

Regards

Barry Hill

• RMweb Gold

Beginning to panic now as I have changed address details in my account but the order still shows my old address. Does this mean my order will go to old address? I have a couple of orders with old address and a few with new address on the order details when i view them. Hoping you can put my mind at rest

Hi Barry

That has been covered in our regular newsletters and in our FAQs: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/faqs/ - the website has no way of knowing whether you want orders delivering to different addresses or if you have moved house, so as noted in the FAQ please drop us an email asking us to update the shipping address on certain orders (please tell us which orders).

Thanks

Mike