N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

Unfortunately I am working this weekend so can't make Ally Pally. We are sharing a stand with Rapido at York over Easter weekend so if you're there we will show it to you!

Cheers

Ben A.

Can't make York...sorry!!!

Will keep an eye out here for your announcement.

Regards...Stu

Here is an image showing the light bar installed and working:

attachicon.gifLight Bar.jpg

Please bear in mind too that on the production models the glazing will be tinted, so the effect will be more subtle.

cheers

Ben A.

It was great seeing the Pendolino at Glasgow. Many thanks to Ben for letting me have a close look at one of the coaches.

How is the track voltage picked up in each coach? Are the contacts going to be in the coaches from the outset or will the pickups from the wheels come with the lighting bar kits? Also will the lighting kits be compatible with DC and DCC? Sorry about all of the questions but very interested in the lighting.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

The pickups are on all bogies as supplied.  They have phosphor bronze springs that carry power up to conductive plates (buses) below the floor section.  The coupler contacts touch these bus plates.

The light bars are designed to sit on the plastic interior mouldings, and the mouldings have holes to allow similar (but longer) springs to pass from contacts on the underside of the lightbar to the bus plates below.

The light-bars are designed to handle 20V AC just as well as 12V DC.

I can't right now but on our display at York I am hoping to have a dismantled car to show the way it all fits together.  It's very nicely done IMO.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Dave,

The pickups are on all bogies as supplied.  They have phosphor bronze springs that carry power up to conductive plates (buses) below the floor section.  The coupler contacts touch these bus plates.

The light bars are designed to sit on the plastic interior mouldings, and the mouldings have holes to allow similar (but longer) springs to pass from contacts on the underside of the lightbar to the bus plates below.

The light-bars are designed to handle 20V AC just as well as 12V DC.

I can't right now but on our display at York I am hoping to have a dismantled car to show the way it all fits together.  It's very nicely done IMO.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for replying. It sounds like the track voltage is available on stationary plates (i.e. they dont move with the bogies) inside every coach then. Very useful! Thanks.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Good to have a chat with Ben & Mike at York today. Even in it's hand painted sample form, the Pendolino looks absolutely spot on, and it was running very smoothly indeed. 

The finished examples should be absolute stunners if this is anything to go by. 

Tom. 

Good to see the light bars already available. I'll have to have a think about which of my ordered Pendolinos I'll get them for since it will expensive to do them all!

As an aside the website says that there is not room in the driving cars for lights. Does the motor chassis fill the driving cars so that the tint in the window hides the chassis? Does the sound module and speaker go in the passenger area maybe? Is there a visible 'passenger space' in the driving cars even with the sound fitted as well? What I'm really asking is will it be possible for me to fit a couple of leds to illuminate the cabin in the driving cars as well?

Thanks

Dave

I would assume that because of the large area (approx 66%) of the power cars that don't have Windows the chassis and motor would be hidden by that. They have seats and lights on the tables.

Alistair

I would assume that because of the large area (approx 66%) of the power cars that don't have Windows the chassis and motor would be hidden by that. They have seats and lights on the tables.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The chassis block fills the power/driving car. There are rebates let into it for the speaker etc but Rapdo have shoehorned as much weight as possible into the vehicle. Anyone who owns a CJM loco will know that they are far heavier than most models - and that weight is one reason for their reliable running - and Chris's advice right from the start was to make the driving cars as heavy as possible. .

The chassis block wil be painted black, and the Windows will be tinted. On the real thing there is only one table lamp in coach K (the driving car at the first class end) and we took the view that this had to be forfeited for reliable running.

Dave - if you wanted to light the cab then my thought is that it might be easier to use the lighting unit that is fitted in the end for the marker lights to do this, but it would involve some modelling, or even just fit a small LED in their taking power feeds from the split frame chassis.

Jez - I will try to take a couple of pics today.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

When's the cut off for  ordering?

Hi Mike

It really depends on how quickly the factory can make the improvements we've identified from testing the sample set. Our best estimate at the moment is that the order book will close end of May/June.  If you sign up to our newsletters (on our website) then you will get plenty of advance warning and reminders!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

It really depends on how quickly the factory can make the improvements we've identified from testing the sample set. Our best estimate at the moment is that the order book will close end of May/June.  If you sign up to our newsletters (on our website) then you will get plenty of advance warning and reminders!

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike

I missed the kickstarter and don't want to miss out again.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jez,

Apologies for the poor quality,. Here are a couple of snaps of our display at York.

post-420-0-12061400-1459274448_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-32366400-1459274515_thumb.jpg

They show the complete train, and a close up of a couple of the test shots of the cars dismantled to show the interiors etc. Not all the parts are there and the interior is not painted on the trailer coach.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi Gang,

Possibly a new set of wheels on this particular Pendo....as they rack up an awesome mileage as a fleet, it can be expected that new or refurbished wheelsets are quite a common feature. You just have to spot them before they get all track coloured!!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.