News from Warley 2014

Andy Y

No one on this thread has pointed out that Hornby have always charged a high price on their releases when offered from the official Hornby website. If they are proposing to supply direct/retail at similar prices they probably wont get much custom anyway and then there's the point made above about slow delivery/supply. Or are they actually proposing abandoning selling to retailers at all?

They may find that approach counter productive. I certainly do not have the money to buy every thing that I would like. There has been such a bounty of wonderful releases today, that I will have to sit down and prioritise. I certainly will not pay full price to the Hornby Web site while I can get a discount elsewhere. If that discount were not available and Hornby prices were considerably higher than the prices of other manufacturers, I might well turn my back on Hornby. I may want certain products, but I don't need them.

• RMweb Gold

So the 71 not good enough for you Steve? Going to buy a couple of Claytons instead ;-) lol

An interesting Freudian slip, perhaps. Leaving aside their dubious reliability, the prospect of a pair of Claytons working the Up Night Ferry via No 3 Boat Train Route gives pause for thought. Half way up Sole Street Bank, which the EL/71 laughed at, there is a place called Shag Lane, known to the P Way staff as Shaggers. I suspect the Claytons would expire about there, well and truly Shagged.

No one on this thread has pointed out that Hornby have always charged a high price on their releases when offered from the official Hornby website.  If they are proposing to supply direct/retail at similar prices they probably wont get much custom anyway and then there's the point made above about slow delivery/supply.  Or are they actually proposing abandoning selling to retailers at all?

Maybe some people would pay extra if they knew it would be available without having to pre-order something months in advance. I don’t like having to pre-order.

Whether that would ever be possible I don’t know.

Best, Pete.

I am very interested to see the Bachmann Mk1's (BSK and TSO) in Sealink livery, but I understood (and I am happy to be corrected) that most of the non-brake coaches in this livery were SK's, not TSO's. I started a thread a couple of years ago about the running numbers of these coaches - I can't post a link as I don't know how to do it on an iPad, but do a search for Sealink Livery Mk1 coaches and it's there) - and in the thread the Parkin book is referred to, and the book gives the running numbers. They are, I am sure, numbers for SK's and BSK's. I can't check my copy of the book as my railway library is in storage. Perhaps someone with a more extensive knowledge of BR coaching stock can check this. Were there any TSO's in Sealink livery?

Any news on the Heljan stand other than the 47xx, have they got any decorated/EP samples of the O2 or Class 05?

Yes, had samples of both. The 05 one had only arrived just before the show. Both looked very nice although I'm not well versed on the O2. The 05 was in all 8 versions with delivery quoted as early 2015, can't remember exactly when, but how longs a piece of string when it comes to deliveries from China sometimes.

Retooled 21T hoppers?

Paul A.

Yes nice to see and with correct single sided, clasp breakgear. I hope it is as they where all positioned with it on the wrong side for viewing.

Enjoyed the visit this year, unlike some other years I've been. Went by train, and what with the German Market in Birmingham and the other shows on at the NEC it was like rush hour on the Tokyo underground. Survived though. Roll on next year.

Paul J.

Edited for smallbutton-bigfingers syndrome.

I would hope those 116, 117 and 118 DMUs would be ideal for issuing in N.

Yes, it would be. But that's rather wish listing and I was hoping for some real 'gonna do' news announcements rather that 'be nice if they did' stuff.

So, is there anything to report in other than OO (now that the first day is over)?

G

• RMweb Gold

Of course 10 years from now Hornby's long term strategy will need to be even more radical than just cutting out the 'middle man'. They will need to become virtual. We'll all be complaining about the lack of even the internet shops, at least those of us who do not have 3D printers will. The rest will be busy downloading the 3d design for each and every individual locomotive or coach ever buillt and printing the individual train that we remeber from that day trip to London, or whatever. I forsee a time where it is only the motors, electronics and possibly wheels that are manufactured and sold.

I fervently hope:

- this takes a lot longer than 10 years

- that I'm no longer around to see it

Not everyone likes shopping on the internet.

So if Kernow sell only through their website  its OK and  if Hornby start doing similar its a no no .Seems odd logic ..Hornby do make a huge range of toy trains and most of them are available in toy and model shops  which is what they have always done .Hornby are doing far more service to the model railway industry than Kernow  ever will as they produce the kids and not so kids  bread and butter  products .For this they get slaughtered by the indignant and self righteous.

Anyway I will order an Adams when a green one is announced, but by whom ????????.

I think you are missing the point. Hornby are there to produce models that they hope will sell and hopefully supply the trade who then sell them on at a price they think the customer will stand and make a profit. Kernow are a retailer selling the products of the likes of Hornby and on one side make a profit and on the other satisfy their cuustomer base. Kermow and others like Hatton's and Rails have blurred the boundaries by commissioning the likes of Bachmann and DJM to produce more boarderline models and taking the risk. So far it has provided models that Hornby et al had not contemplated. However now that most of the obvious big sellers have been done the main manufacturers have now started"fishing" in the same pond!

• RMweb Gold

But with selling direct from a website would you really be able to encourage as many new people/kids into the hobby? What'll happen in twenty-thirty years when many of us may not be around? 

As someone who almost certainly falls into that category, I've always considered that to be the responsibility of those who make their living from the hobby rather than their  customers.

In any event, I strongly suspect that the hobby is within a decade of its zenith right now.

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Dapol very busy selling ATW 67 sets and Malcolm freight booked sets - not many left plus a good range of bargains - very few blue westerns left.

Display case had 27/1 and 27/2 body shells so hopefully not too far away.

Pendo boys say 50K on kick starter.

NGS Collett delayed due livery corrections now due early 2015.

Missed Kernow/ Hornby stuff as on Stand A being nice to the public...  Given slack sales of 60 and bubbles cannot really see much hope for N units but Dapol said some time ago data available for 117. and of course I have cut 5 121 shells to make mine! DJ certainly a busy guy.

Robert     

Back here on earth - the Blue Grey 4VEP allegedly arrives on 9 December THIS year. Was there anything at the show to confirm that please? If so, have any of the promised improvements been done? I contacted Hornby with this question a week or so ago, and the promised "within 5 working days response" has not happened. Of course they did not say which 5 working days.

• RMweb Gold

Of course 10 years from now Hornby's long term strategy will need to be even more radical than just cutting out the 'middle man'. They will need to become virtual. We'll all be complaining about the lack of even the internet shops, at least those of us who do not have 3D printers will. The rest will be busy downloading the 3d design for each and every individual locomotive or coach ever buillt and printing the individual train that we remeber from that day trip to London, or whatever. I forsee a time where it is only the motors, electronics and possibly wheels that are manufactured and sold.

A rather Utopian view that presupposes that:

1. All the necessary information is available.

2. Enough people think they can make a living out of spending millions of man-hours transforming tens of thousands of old, often crumbling, 2D drawings into CAD files that will make sense to a 3D printer only to find that most of them are commercially worthless because they only interest half-a-dozen people.

3. They keep their sanity long enough to finish the job. 

In short, the information needed to produce a model via a 3D printer is not much different to what Hornby, Bachmann et al need to do their job now. There is no more likelihood of everything being available at the click of a mouse any more than there is of everything becoming available in a red or blue box.

Even if one can conquer the elephant in the room (the need for painting, lining and lettering) it doesn't cut out the middleman, just the postman!

John

Yes, had samples of both. The 05 one had only arrived just before the show. Both looked very nice although I'm not well versed on the O2. The 05 was in all 8 versions with delivery quoted as early 2015, can't remember exactly when, but how longs a piece of string when it comes to deliveries from China sometimes.

Many Thanks Paul,

I dont suppose you or anyone else got any photos of said samples? Did the Danes only announce the one loco this year? Probably a good thing of they did.

Was there any mention of another batch of Class 15?

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the sheer number of new releases, the model railway world is clearly out of recession!

We've never had it so good!

Kind regards,

Nick.

But then the interesting question arises of paying for it.  I understand that commissioned model prices are starting to creep up with increases to come next year so it's obvious a 3 car 117/8 etc in a year or two's time is not going to be at a 'Lima +inflation' price because the whole ball game is very different from the one in Lima's time.  Equally I'm not sure when Heljan's 47XX will appear but I'm glad I neither need nor want one because at present rates of Chinese made price inflation the only debate is likely to be about whether the price is likely to be north or south of £200.

I remain reasonably sure that niche targetted models can and will continue to sell , provided they are the right niches but standing aside duplication the simple fact is that there are going to be more and more models chasing what is likely to be a shrinking market as ever more stakes are planted on those which aren't spoken for already.

Duplication is in itself an interesting subject and to be honest I don't think any of us can really predict what will happen.  In theory it is good for the consumer because competition should sharpen standards and have a positive (for us) effect on prices but the simple fact appears to be that 'wriggle room' on pricing is going to be restricted by rising costs and negotiating down factory prices could well result in reduced quality of either research or assembly.  The impact here will vary because some concerns effectively get their research done, or much of it done, with little or no overhead while the bigger concerns are carrying employment overheads to get them to the same place - and such costs will impact n pricing and profitability.

What I think is more likely is that the effect of more models looking for our money will strike in what might seem totally unrelated places, and not necessarily hit those who are punting duplicates but those who might otherwise be weak in their product line up or financial structure and who are trying very hard, for other reasons, to keep their business head above water. in other words it's not so much - in my own case - deciding whose 'King' to buy but deciding what I might not buy from anyone else in order to buy any sort of 'King'  (for me that is an easy decision - I have no use for a 47XX but can justify a 'King')

Apologies for the poor quality of the images from the Hornby reveal (tablet + lighting etc etc) so I thought you deserved better!

Adams Radial

Adams1.jpg

King

King1.jpg

21T Hopper

21Ta.jpg

LMS Horse Box

LMS1.jpg

Period 3 LMS Suburbans

Sub1.jpg

Sub2.jpg

Sub3.jpg

• RMweb Premium

So if Kernow sell only through their website its OK and if Hornby start doing similar its a no no .Seems odd logic ..Hornby do make a huge range of toy trains and most of them are available in toy and model shops which is what they have always done .Hornby are doing far more service to the model railway industry than Kernow ever will as they produce the kids and not so kids bread and butter products .For this they get slaughtered by the indignant and self righteous.

Anyway I will order an Adams when a green one is announced, but by whom ????????.

The difference is that Kernow are quite open in their approach and probably have been driven to limited editions by scarce/non delivery from Hornby while Hornby pretend to support a retail network while cutting the ground out from beneath their feet. Direct sales , from what're ever source means that one model shops where you can wonder down pick up an item of rolling. Stock, glue, a Metcalfe kit, will disappear. That's why it matters?

The LMS suburbans look good, but depends on price. Anything like the Gresleys or Thompsons and I'll stick to my Grafar oo non corridors

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the poor quality of the images from the Hornby reveal (tablet + lighting etc etc) so I thought you deserved better!

Adams Radial

attachicon.gifAdams1.jpg

King

attachicon.gifKing1.jpg

21T Hopper

attachicon.gif21Ta.jpg

LMS Horse Box

attachicon.gifLMS1.jpg

Period 3 LMS Suburbans

attachicon.gifSub1.jpg

attachicon.gifSub2.jpg

attachicon.gifSub3.jpg

Great images Andy, the Radial looks fantastic.

Archived