Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Anyone know how firmly the plates are glued on? I was thinking of getting one and renumbering it.

Given that the plates are in a recess I can say that on mine the plates are almost flush with the sides - don't know if they are all like this, but with careful 'grinding down' you may be able to simply fit new ones over....

• RMweb Gold

Given that the plates are in a recess I can say that on mine the plates are almost flush with the sides - don't know if they are all like this, but with careful 'grinding down' you may be able to simply fit new ones over....

Easier to remove the existing plates and substitute a bit of plain black plasticard of the right thickness, and glue the replacement etched plates over that, perhaps?

Easier to remove the existing plates and substitute a bit of plain black plasticard of the right thickness, and glue the replacement etched plates over that, perhaps?

Possibly- I suppose it depends on the glue used- all I know is that the plates on mine are not as 'proud' of the surface as I expected

Possibly- I suppose it depends on the glue used- all I know is that the plates on mine are not as 'proud' of the surface as I expected

That was the question really, I don't want to ruin a model trying to get the old plates off.  Didn't know if anyone had tried it yet.

Might just have to be brave when the model arrives.

The first of mine arrived today, 5808 in GWR shirtbutton livery.  A little unexpected Christmas Pressie.

Really well packaged in a nice box.  The green looks a decent shade; the brake roads are already fitted; the numberplate is straight with no apparent gap or shadow.  There are a couple of nice little lamps in the the baggie.  Even the cab doors open.  The absence of an ashpan is not too apparent to me - I would not have immediately noticed if no-one had mentioned its absence.

The instructions state to oil before running, so I did.  A drop of Peco SuperLube in each of the two holes in the bottom; and also on the coupling rod pins.  I put it on the track fed by my 18-month old Bachmann controller and it spluttered forward very slowly.  And I mean very slowly - even on 3/4 power.  After about 6 feet I tried it backwards and it spluttered around 4 feet before stopping.  And that was it, dead as my Christmas Turkey.  No manner of persuasion could make it move again.  No whirring, or slipping, just completely dead.

Its back in the box and will be winging its way back to Hattons on Wednesday ... one Christmas surprise I was not expecting or wanting.

I hope this is the only lemon...

I ran my replacement from Hatton's today and this one runs much better.  After half an hour on the rolling road it runs very smoothly and slow speed is good.  Top speed is perhaps a little fast, but it can pull 4 coaches on the level without slipping.  Fine on all my points (which are Peco Streamline code 100 electrofrog and some Peco Setrack).without stalling or derailing.

Really nice little engine and finely detailed.  Now very pleased with it.

Received my 58XX today. Well done Dave/Hatton's. 10 out of 10 from packaging to instructions and the loco itself. Goes places other 0-4-2T only stall, if you get my drift.

Could you do Wantage tram Shannon please?

Matt

• RMweb Gold

After all the ar*e kicking & words on here, I very much doubt that Dave Jones or Hattons will ever attempt another GW locomotive.

However.....

If they do, can it be a 26xx, or a 'stella?'

Only joking folks, only joking..... Enjoy the 48xx, while you can....

Ian

After all the ar*e kicking & words on here, I very much doubt that Dave Jones or Hattons will ever attempt another GW locomotive.

However.....

If they do, can it be a 26xx, or a 'stella?'

Only joking folks, only joking..... Enjoy the 48xx, while you can....

Ian

"Enjoy the 48xx, while you can" That's a little ominous what have you heard?

Folks, 

apologies if I have missed a reference to it, but Coreless Motors, are they okay to run with the Hornby HM2000 and HM4000 controllers?

I saw comments on other threads indicating certain older controller types are not suitable for the Coreless motors. 

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold

"Enjoy the 48xx, while you can" That's a little ominous what have you heard?

Well, wouldn't you?

There's been a lot of froth over the impending release of the model, and some of it not good, either. If I had my house & assets on the line to deliver the project, against the background of grumbling & moaning, I'd be off doing something else.

Just an offhand opinion I guess. Us Western modellers (and I include myself, here)are a noisy lot, and I wonder if manufacturers might steer clear of us in the future.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, wouldn't you?

There's been a lot of froth over the impending release of the model, and some of it not good, either. If I had my house & assets on the line to deliver the project, against the background of grumbling & moaning, I'd be off doing something else.

Just an offhand opinion I guess. Us Western modellers (and I include myself, here)are a noisy lot, and I wonder if manufacturers might steer clear of us in the future.

Ian

If every manufacturer walked away after criticism on here there would be none left.

Many people are happy with their 48xx. I am building one (very slowly) in 7 1/4 inch and will probably get a DJ/Hattons one to cheer me up when progress grinds to a halt.

Comments like your "enjoy it while you can" may be offhand to you, but they can actually be quite damaging when then inadvertently gain a life of their own.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If every manufacturer walked away after criticism on here there would be none left.

Many people are happy with their 48xx. I am building one (very slowly) in 7 1/4 inch and will probably get a DJ/Hattons one to cheer me up when progress grinds to a halt.

Comments like your "enjoy it while you can" may be offhand to you, but they can actually be quite damaging when then inadvertently gain a life of their own.

Roy

The point, which I failed to make, was that Mr Jones, and those people whom contract him, might well walk away from Swindon products. I can't wait to see the 48xx I've ordered, and I don't want it to be the last GWR model from DJ/et al, to grace my layout. There are no bad intentions on my part regarding Mr Jones, and those people whom commission him to produce some really nice kit.

Ian

I don't we think should fear DJM et al walking away from GWR projects. These are commercial people looking to make a profit. The gwr represents a significant portion of the overall model rail market and no party is going to turn their back on it as a result of a few negative comments on the web. By way of comparison, read "brakeshoegate" on the new Hornby Duchess thread...

David"

I see Hornby Mag says the 0-4-2T pulls 5 coaches (maybe 6)  Far more than the prototype would haul.   I well remember a 14XX working turn and turn about with 9Fs on the Glos Warks and doing slip free starts up the bank out of Winchcombe on at least 5 maybe 6 MK 1 coaches.   Hornby say the geared drive to two axles provides much better traction than the Dapol /Hornby 14XX 

Has anyone got any video of the haulage power of these 14XX?   Am I wasting my time on my three axle drive 14XX chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Folks, 

apologies if I have missed a reference to it, but Coreless Motors, are they okay to run with the Hornby HM2000 and HM4000 controllers?

I saw comments on other threads indicating certain older controller types are not suitable for the Coreless motors. 

Paul. 

Mine seems to work OK on the HM2000.

I asked Hatton's just before Christmas if they would be producing an O gauge version which would go well with the Dapol/Lionheart autotrailer.

The response was no plans at the moment.

I would hope that with things happening at Dapol as they have recently the Chirk company will oblige :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Folks, 

Paul. 

Only a feedback controller is best avoided. However,if in doubt  then change to a modern one such as Gaugemaster. I believe Rails have an offer atm.

• RMweb Gold

I don't we think should fear DJM et al walking away from GWR projects. These are commercial people looking to make a profit. The gwr represents a significant portion of the overall model rail market and no party is going to turn their back on it as a result of a few negative comments on the web. By way of comparison, read "brakeshoegate" on the new Hornby Duchess thread...

David"

Indeed David and in any case I am certain that by now Dave Jones has developed a hide as thick as a bull rhino if you consider some of the sniping that has occurred here since he made his first steps with his own company.

He is not unique in this respect,I'm afraid. Andy Y has often admonished....think before you press "post".If you feel justified in posting a negative critique,i suggest you take a long walk around your garden (if you have one) first.

Otherwise put it on hold for a while please.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Indeed David and in any case I am certain that by now Dave Jones has developed a hide as thick as a bull rhino if you consider some of the sniping that has occurred here since he made his first steps with his own company.

He is not unique in this respect,I'm afraid. Andy Y has often admonished....think before you press "post".If you feel justified in posting a negative critique,i suggest you take a long walk around your garden (if you have one) first.

Otherwise put it on hold for a while please.

Well said Ian. As I have noted in another thread there seems to be an increasing amount of unwarranted comment / criticism being made in what is often quite a snide manner. I also note that much is done by people who hide behind usernames.

Time for these people to grow up and not post what they would not say face to face.

I for one love good old fashioned debate, nowt wrong with that, but it should be civil and, as far as possible, factual.

Roy