RMweb

Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

So for my one 85 then Bewdley and Kidderminster sound right?

If someone was travelling back in the day from London to Bewdley or Kidderminster how would they have done it?

Anyone coming from the south, like Worcester, would likely have gone direct to Kidderminster along the Snow Hill line or via the Stourport branch if going to Bewdley.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Karl said:

At first I thought the crimson was a bit red but having had another look at my photos of 93 I'd say, like eddiethedog has, it is actually spot on.

The preserved 93 is a bit of enigma, we were advised the project manager for 93 that the colour they used in the first place was slightly wrong and it has further 'faded' / 'aged' to purple (which is unusual for reds that usually bleach).  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

If someone was travelling back in the day from London to Bewdley or Kidderminster how would they have done it?

Both the GWR and subsequently the WR had a Paddington-Oxford-Worcester-Wolverhampton service that ran via Kidderminster,Stourbridge Junction and Dudley to Wolverhampton Low Level. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

The preserved 93 is a bit of enigma, we were advised the project manager for 93 that the colour they used in the first place was slightly wrong and it has further 'faded' / 'aged' to purple (which is unusual for reds that usually bleach).  

Thats interesting, it definitely did fade to purple but I was looking at photos from a charter with it no long after it was outshopped. The colour n the model looks good to me!

• RMweb Premium

Life getting in the way of hobbies has thus far prevented me from collecting at Camborne.  I should be the happy owner of my model within the next few days.  Looking forward to it.  

In other news it's surprising how far east Camborne is when you live way out west!  A couple of hours needed for the round trip including a little "dwell time" at the "platform".

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

1) I'd go for it. (I'm very much a rule 1 sort of person, mine will be No. 97 as my layout doesn't have a definitive location.)

2) No idea as I just got those from the Lewis Railmotors book.

A guess would be Paddington - Worcester by express, then a local service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news it's surprising how far east Camborne is when you live way out west!

In my experience of Cornwall Camborne is a long way from everywhere except Redruth. But the shop staff were very friendly on my first visit last year, once I had found my way to it from the Tesco carpark. Hopefully this model might be in stock when we go down West this year, and I can visualise it in LNER green and cream with a name like 'Bang Up' or 'Tally Ho!' on the sides

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How many functions does the non sound version need?

It has a Plux 22 socket but there aren't many Plux 22 currently in stock, however there are a few more Plux 16 around.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Life getting in the way of hobbies has thus far prevented me from collecting at Camborne.  I should be the happy owner of my model within the next few days.  Looking forward to it.  

In other news it's surprising how far east Camborne is when you live way out west!  A couple of hours needed for the round trip including a little "dwell time" at the "platform".

I live in Devon, which is considered by most of the country to be the westest west of the far southwest (they think Swindon is in "The Westcountry") - and yet Camborne is so far west from me it's almost in a different time zone! 😆

When I drove down to Kernow MRC a couple of years ago it took me two hours. Admittedly I did get caught up in the A30 roadworks. (Are they ever going to finish the A30?)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news it's surprising how far east Camborne is when you live way out west! 

It will be a lot further if you get the spelling wrong when you put it in your satnav.  By comparision Cambourne is in the Really Far East.

We've also got a St Ives, but the railway is now a guided bus!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

(Are they ever going to finish the A30?)

The original signs said the end of 2023 - which everyone knew wouldn't happen!

Latest I heard was Easter - but I don't recall them specifying which year.

CJI.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I live in Devon, which is considered by most of the country to be the westest west of the far southwest (they think Swindon is in "The Westcountry")

Chatting to the signalman at Chippenham Junction (near Newmarket), he told me he'd reported a fault, and the technician phoned to say he couldn't find the box.  He asked where the chap was and got the reply at the station.  That's when he realised his office had called out support in Wiltshire.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

When I drove down to Kernow MRC a couple of years ago it took me two hours. Admittedly I did get caught up in the A30 roadworks. (Are they ever going to finish the A30?)

The A30 roadworks currently protect our top secret workshop and warehouse from certain marauders... they have now lost the bet as to which project was completed first, they are apparently now still hoping to possibly beat HS2 to completion. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sjrixon said:

That's amazing news.. And, interested that a sound fitted one has been dispatched.. What's the sound like?

The sound is pretty good. It's loud enough and all the sounds are nicely balanced but maybe a little bit muffled.

It comes with "Active Drive" enabled, which I like. That means that you get gradual acceleration, deceleration and when decelerating you just hear the valves going phut phut.

The chuff sync with the motion was a bit out and needed tweaking.

The main whistle sound does seem to have a bit of distortion at the end. It might be loud enough to overdrive the speaker, perhaps? I need to do some testing.

I can't see any clear sound paths out yet but I'll know more when I open one of them up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here's an attempt at focus-stacking, to keep the whole vehicle in focus:

srm97.jpg.8fea1adcd68aa0486a4f2d82056aedd5.jpg

It's not a great photo but it does show the impressive length of the steam railmotor. She's standing on a 2ft radius curve. The smaller scroll irons are fitted.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I just took a pic of my No 97 to post but no point in duplicating. One thing I noticed though is I need to dig out the detail pack as I haven't even put my chimney in yet. 😂

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

I just took a pic of my No 97 to post but no point in duplicating. One thing I noticed though is I need to dig out the detail pack as I haven't even put my chimney in yet. 😂

The chimney should have been already fitted! 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

😖 yeah I just sussed that out looking at the detailing pack. I will check the area I unpacked it, it wasn't loose in the box.

edit: Panic over, found it down the edge of the sofa between the arm and cushion. Good job Phil posted his pic, I could have been oblivious until the chimney worked its way down inside the sofa!

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I very gingerly opened up No. 61 to fit a decoder:

image.png.a4cde81a8eb28d2dab8d5f7b8fc5f7b7.png

The vertical boiler and its fittings are lovely:

image.png.fe863321642bddf679449b48b2c2445e.png

The blue capacitor in the luggage/speaker compartment is labelled C17 but I haven't worked out what its purpose is yet.

I found that there are some cunningly hidden vents to let the sound out just above the rear driving axle:

image.png.f670881c165d5e243a262eefad67113d.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The chimney on mine was also loose, but thankfully I found it on the workbench before the carpet monster got it.

Can it be glued it without causing problems?  

Meanwhile I've stored it in the detail pack so that it doesn't get lost.