Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

• RMweb Premium

How about a bustling market place?  (Do they not have them any more in the UK?)

Archaeological dig? 

Concert? 

If anybody fancies modelling a dig, bear in mind they vary enormously, in extent and type, from a 'watching brief' or trial trench on a small site to extensive trenches over a large area. Some methods and the appearance of the diggers would depend on the period modelled. As a retired archaeologist I'd be happy to provide advice, by PM.

Pete

• Like 1

If anybody fancies modelling a dig, bear in mind they vary enormously, in extent and type, from a 'watching brief' or trial trench on a small site to extensive trenches over a large area. Some methods and the appearance of the diggers would depend on the period modelled. As a retired archaeologist I'd be happy to provide advice, by PM.

Pete

If I were to model a dig, my biggest modelling concern would be whether to have it lead by Tony Robinson or Indiana Jones....

How about a man in brightly coloured clothing, carrying a brown book and being recorded by a film crew?

Or perhaps an oriental-looking man with a funny haircut, surrounded by men in uniform noting things in little books?

Pete

I seem to remember one of Mike Gill's dioramas in Railway Modeller back in the 80s included an archaeological dig on a bomb site.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember one of Mike Gill's dioramas in Railway Modeller back in the 80s included an archaeological dig on a bomb site.

Taking that further and in a modern-day context, having part of an urban layout area cordoned off by Police with Army bomb disposal experts working around a suspect package, with crowds of onlookers and TV reporters standing behind the outer cordons...would be different!

• Like 1

if you want something up to date and topical, how about an anti fracking demonstration, or from my own voluntary background a group of volunteers doing some woodland management.

I always try and put something in layout that gets people asking questions, which is why I see art as about imperfection not perfection. Sometimes what I do is so subtle it does not get noticed.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Taking that further and in a modern-day context, having part of an urban layout area cordoned off by Police with Army bomb disposal experts working around a suspect package, with crowds of onlookers and TV reporters standing behind the outer cordons...would be different!

One of our club layouts, Aldwych, has a building site complete with an unexploded wartime bomb and bomb disposal unit in attendance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A photograph on another thread shows something that I have never seen modeled. The 'caissons', wire cages full of stone used to reinforce embankments or cutting sides.

I've just been informed that they are called 'gabions'. The thread in question is 'The end of the Tugs?'.

• Like 1

Road Traffic Accidents - haven't seen many on layouts

A few years back at a local exhibition, on an O gauge layout (I can't remember the name), I did see this.

An Original Mini had gone straight on at a junction and through a small fence. Did look very realistic, if my memory serves correctly.

• RMweb Premium

An Original Mini had gone straight on at a junction and through a small fence. Did look very realistic, if my memory serves correctly.

Mini brakes were never that good............ Surprised we didn't see more crashed Minis on layouts...................... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Mini brakes were never that good............ Surprised we didn't see more crashed Minis on layouts...................... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

My dream car though. :)