Class 800 - Updates

This is the most talked about and discussed new passenger train of modern times; probably the most talked about and publicly debated new train ever. Where have you been?

Not reading the right publications, obviously.........LOL

• RMweb Gold

But until Eurostars started running all OHLE - con rail changeovers were done at stations (Drayton Park & Farringdon) - so the issue of on the move changeovers never occurred until the WLL got OHLE from North Pole Juc to Willesden Junc*. There is also the fact that we have never had the French situation of two different OHLE systems meeting (1.5KV DC & 25KV AC) requiring pantograph swapping at speed.

I would suggest the reason why the British took so long to allow on the move changeovers was much the same as the refusal to allow a 25KVAC connection running along the roof of passenger carrying vehicles until the introduction of the Pendalinos (despite the French having proved it being perfectly safe since 1980. Namely a far too cautious attitude to anything 'not invented here' and a desire to 'gold plate' regulations.

*While today it might make sense to bring OHLE as far as Shepherds Bush station to facilitate turn rounds if the changeover doesn't work correctly, I believe there is insufficient clearance under the A40 (The Westway) bridge for OHLE. Plus of course Shepherds Bush station didn't exist at the time the line was electrified

But once Eurostar started operation commenced the UK did get pan raising/lowering at speed (albeit at only 100mph) together with 3rd rail shoe lowering/raising at that speed so it could be done where it had to be done and (with occasional exceptions) it worked perfectly safely and very reliably.

As far as the Westway bridge is concerned it is indeed too low to wire under and regrettably a collision with it on the part of a Class 373 pan did nothing to increase the headroom.

I'm wondering how much it will happen on the Western.

Most change overs will be done during station stops: Bristol for Weston-s-M trains, Cardiff for Swansea trains, Swindon for Cheltenham trains and Oxford for Chiltern Line trains. So that leaves Newbury for West of England trains, moving, but not that fast, and perhaps Severn Tunnel Junction for (rare) diversions via Gloucester? Oh, and probably Wootton Bassett Junction for trains via Bath, in the interim.

Hence my comment about 100 mph where Newbury was exactly the place I had in mind.

There isnt much requirement to lower or raise the Pan on the ECML though is there?

There is plenty. Apart from scheduled services to Hull, operating Leeds-York and other off wire destinations, there is the need for the ability to use non electrified diversion routes either in emergency or planned engineering works. As a consequence most non-electrified junctions along the ECML have to be assessed for pan raising/lowering.

There is plenty. Apart from scheduled services to Hull, operating Leeds-York and other off wire destinations, there is the need for the ability to use non electrified diversion routes either in emergency or planned engineering works. As a consequence most non-electrified junctions along the ECML have to be assessed for pan raising/lowering.

But things which are not usually scheduled don't need to take place at 100mph. The speed limit on the diverging route isn't likely to be that fast anyhow, so it'll probably only occur at 50 or so. But you're right, the OLE will need to be assessed for that.

Leeds-York will be electrified for the TPE scheme, though until then there is the possibility of high speed changeover at Colton Junction.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember that recently the electrics coasted for several miles across a level crossing that was being rebuilt one weekend.  They did this at 125 mph and presumably had to lower and raise the pantographs at each end of the section.  

Jamie

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ah, one set is working out of Merchant Park and the other out of Old Dalby.

I see the Darlington based set is going down to North Pole tomorrow evening. If on time both sets will be in Doncaster just before 11p.m. tomorrow, one on platform 4 and the other on the up fast. Could be a good photo opportunity for someone.

• Like 2

I wonder if anybody from Hitachi reads this?

Because I don't mind helping out on testing the seats and other stuff on the test runs

Regards

Craig

As there's not any new infrastructure involved, there probably aren't any tests with real passengers, just sacks of ballast. The fun comes when there's new infrastructure, and evacuation plans have to be tested; I got involved with these on Eurotunnel and CTRL Sections 1 and 2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope the door reveals and handle recesses will be painted in the coming weeks. I wonder if wrapping rather than painting means that gwr are likely to pass on the franchise?

Seen as gWr has just started as a franchise, it may be some time yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Seen as gWr has just started as a franchise, it may be some time yet.

The existing franchise ended and I think it's now a management contract to April 2019? The 'proper' re-franchising was cancelled after the WCML franchising debacle.